Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 1:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That Day will come as a trap on all the world
RE: That Day will come as a trap on all the world
(October 1, 2014 at 7:35 am)Brakeman Wrote:
(October 1, 2014 at 6:45 am)Hezekiah Wrote: I in no way was trying to condemn anyone. I simply stated that no one alive today knows exactly what he'll is like. .. I feel confident enough to say I'm well versed in Christian Theology.

I agree, certain details in the Bible are interpreted differently. It's the reason why there are so many denominations (I'm non-denominational for the record). But what holds the denominations together is that they should all be preaching the same Gospel of Jesus Christ.

When one, such as the professor, creates meanings that are not there and also claims divine affirmation, then they are putting man's words into god's mouth, a form of blasphemy. Why do other christians not attack these as false prophets?

What does the bible direct against people that add to the word of god to further their own ends?

Good question. Well I may be one of the only Christians so far to find this thread and speak up about this (I don't mean to sound proud, but rather speculative). And I can't speak for all the Christians. I just wish people like the one's who started this thread wouldn't be so puffed up as to make such grand claims.
The Bible does say that the man who adds to the word of God is susceptible to various things, one of which being the plagues described in Revelations (Revelations 22:18).
But I would categorize this incident as more of an issue or lack of understanding of the ends times and/or a religiously super-sized ego, with a side of over-zealousness.
(October 1, 2014 at 6:45 am)Hezekiah Wrote: I in no way was trying to condemn anyone. I simply stated that no one alive today knows exactly what he'll is like. If you did you'd be dead and in hell. And at that point I don't believe your in a position to send someone a postcard describing your experience.
Also, I've been a practicing Christian since I was 8 (granted I fallen in and out of the faith a few times since then) regardless, I feel confident enough to say I'm well versed in Christian Theology.
I was not referring to you specifically. I have found that most Christians are quite certain of their beliefs and of the basis for those beliefs; I certainly was during the 30+ years I was a Christian. They claim to have a very clear idea of what hell is like, and heaven, and pretty much anything else they subscribe to. There is some logic behind this-- if they're really in touch with god on some level, why wouldn't they know for sure? Jesus promised them the truth, after all.

Sure, when asked to explain these terms and concepts in detail, many of them seem incapable of doing so clearly. And I find that people of the same denomination may have very different ideas of how things work when they explain themselves. Their certainty is as much a flimsy belief as many of their doctrinal ones.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
Brakeman, the biblical definition of a false prophet is one who promotes a false god.

As for why other Christians do not attack those who claim divine affirmation- Wrong.

There is a backlash against anyone who steps out of a denominational line, and a long list of
biblical prophets killed by the very ones they were sent to (their own people) starting with the Lord
Jesus himself. The big accusation against Him was blasphemy.

Jonathan Kleck and Judy Smith both have had hate directed at them by professing Christians, repeatedly.
Both are called false prophets by Christians.
When the trumpet sounds- the haters will still be here.
My adventure is presenting evidence prior to the big wake-up call that is coming.

Yesterday I was riding on my tractor cutting grass for my good buddy around his woods and I was thinking about
RobZ and his words. My friend is not a committed believer.
He and his family are absolutely great people.
Never in a million years would I speak to them like Rob did here.
We are to speak the truth in love
. You guys not in our camp are not under our obligation, but Rob, if you are listening- pay attention,
these words are for us.
(October 1, 2014 at 8:28 am)professor Wrote: Brakeman, the biblical definition of a false prophet is one who promotes a false god.

As for why other Christians do not attack those who claim divine affirmation- Wrong.

There is a backlash against anyone who steps out of a denominational line, and a long list of
biblical prophets killed by the very ones they were sent to (their own people) starting with the Lord
Jesus himself. The big accusation against Him was blasphemy.

Jonathan Kleck and Judy Smith both have had hate directed at them by professing Christians, repeatedly.
Both are called false prophets by Christians.
When the trumpet sounds- the haters will still be here.
My adventure is presenting evidence prior to the big wake-up call that is coming.

Yesterday I was riding on my tractor cutting grass for my good buddy around his woods and I was thinking about
RobZ and his words. My friend is not a committed believer.
He and his family are absolutely great people.
Never in a million years would I speak to them like Rob did here.
We are to speak the truth in love
. You guys not in our camp are not under our obligation, but Rob, if you are listening- pay attention,
these words are for us.

Honestly, you lost me halfway through that.
Hi Hezi, care to elaborate?
Maybe this will help ( I only got part way thru)-
http://pub3.bravenet.com/forum/static/sh...9&cmd=show
(October 1, 2014 at 8:52 am)Hezekiah Wrote: Honestly, you lost me halfway through that.

I'll elucidate the second half. It's one Christian calling out another Christian for being a douchebag.
(October 1, 2014 at 8:16 am)Tonus Wrote:
(October 1, 2014 at 6:45 am)Hezekiah Wrote: I in no way was trying to condemn anyone. I simply stated that no one alive today knows exactly what he'll is like. If you did you'd be dead and in hell. And at that point I don't believe your in a position to send someone a postcard describing your experience.
Also, I've been a practicing Christian since I was 8 (granted I fallen in and out of the faith a few times since then) regardless, I feel confident enough to say I'm well versed in Christian Theology.
I was not referring to you specifically. I have found that most Christians are quite certain of their beliefs and of the basis for those beliefs; I certainly was during the 30+ years I was a Christian. They claim to have a very clear idea of what hell is like, and heaven, and pretty much anything else they subscribe to. There is some logic behind this-- if they're really in touch with god on some level, why wouldn't they know for sure? Jesus promised them the truth, after all.

Sure, when asked to explain these terms and concepts in detail, many of them seem incapable of doing so clearly. And I find that people of the same denomination may have very different ideas of how things work when they explain themselves. Their certainty is as much a flimsy belief as many of their doctrinal ones.

Ah! I see what you mean. Honestly, I'm gonna level with you, my Christianity aside, there some major hurdles of Christian thought that have caused me to walk away. I didn't think a lot of it made sense. I read that God uses the things that are foolish to man's reason and logic, to put to shame the pride or arrogance that is cultivated from that. For me that was my personal turning point back to Christianity. All of that to say, it still doesn't make sense at times and I totally understand. Certain descriptions are hard to imagine. But I'm just one of those guys who can feel comfortable with knowing I might not fully understand it all.

(October 1, 2014 at 8:57 am)Crossless1 Wrote:
(October 1, 2014 at 8:52 am)Hezekiah Wrote: Honestly, you lost me halfway through that.

I'll elucidate the second half. It's one Christian calling out another Christian for being a douchebag.

Sorry, I didn't read all the posts in this thread so I wasn't sure if some sort of reference was being made to something earlier.
I did some analysis of my own name and I am shocked at the result.

My full name contains 17 letters.

1+7 = 18

6 + 6 + 6 = 18

I am the anti-christ! It's so obvious. Why did I not see this before?

Now, I was promised babes, power and a nice new Porsche GT3 (white with black interior). Where do I go for my anti-christ goodies?

A web link would be appreciated.

I think I'll start by taking ownership of some Southern California coastal property.
One guy I know's (:p) birthday is on 9/14 and another is 9/21 omg 7
(September 30, 2014 at 5:21 pm)RobZombi Wrote: God revealed himself to me

This bit had me in stitches for about five minutes.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1436 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink vorlon13 11 2768 August 1, 2017 at 12:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Chris Brown should be come a Christian Tarasoft11 15 2544 September 7, 2016 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Where did the universe come from? Atheistic origin science has no answer. SavedByGraceThruFaith 2761 770637 September 6, 2015 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  How Long Will Christians Wait for the End Time to Come? Rhondazvous 237 36919 September 3, 2015 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us..." should we be grateful? Whateverist 325 69885 July 21, 2015 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  'it will come back to you' Longhorn 23 5122 June 20, 2015 at 11:52 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Christians Come to the Waters... daver49 2 1264 March 20, 2015 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Why Christians come to atheist forums watchamadoodle 112 25084 March 17, 2015 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  And Hells come back to haunt me themonkeyman 515 226995 April 15, 2014 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: snowtracks