Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from?
Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from?
Multiple times in the New Testament, it is being stated that a seed needs to die in order to be turned into a plant.
John 12:24, NIV Wrote:Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.
1 Corinthians 15:36, NIV Wrote:What you sow does not come to life unless it dies.
That belief is obviously incompatible with modern biology. But where does it come from? Was that belief also expressed by some Ancient Greek philosopher the authors of the New Testament would have been familiar with?

I have also asked this question on Biblical Hermeneutics StackExchange.
RE: Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from?
It's an intuitive description of the life cycle of wheat.....and it's super useful in narrativizing the sacred nature (and Sacred Nature) of a dying god.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from?
(August 2, 2023 at 3:24 pm)The Grand Nudger Wrote: It's an intuitive description of the life cycle of wheat.....and it's super useful in narrativizing the sacred nature (and Sacred Nature) of a dying god.

What is the difference between "sacred nature" and "Sacred Nature"?
The Pixie of Death kills the seed.

Then the Pixie of Life(PBUH) brings the seed back to life.
Dying to live, living to die.
(August 2, 2023 at 3:15 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: Multiple times in the New Testament, it is being stated that a seed needs to die in order to be turned into a plant.
John 12:24, NIV Wrote:Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.
1 Corinthians 15:36, NIV Wrote:What you sow does not come to life unless it dies.
That belief is obviously incompatible with modern biology. But where does it come from? Was that belief also expressed by some Ancient Greek philosopher the authors of the New Testament would have been familiar with?

It’s the description of an appearance. Seeds do not appear to be alive. As Nudger implies, this sort of thing is common in mythology - life/death/rebirth.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 2, 2023 at 4:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 2, 2023 at 3:15 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote: Multiple times in the New Testament, it is being stated that a seed needs to die in order to be turned into a plant.

It’s the description of an appearance. Seeds do not appear to be alive. As Nudger implies, this sort of thing is common in mythology - life/death/rebirth.

Boru

I don't think the authors of the New Testament were implying that seeds weren't alive, I think that they said that seeds were first alive and then dead and only then turning into a plant, after they died.
(August 2, 2023 at 4:40 pm)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(August 2, 2023 at 4:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: It’s the description of an appearance. Seeds do not appear to be alive. As Nudger implies, this sort of thing is common in mythology - life/death/rebirth.

Boru

I don't think the authors of the New Testament were implying that seeds weren't alive, I think that they said that seeds were first alive and then dead and only then turning into a plant, after they died.

I understand that you think that.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I need to know the answer with regard to sesame seeds.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Literary devices > metaphor.

Definition of metaphor :
"A metaphor is a type of figure of speech that compares one thing to another unlike thing. It's a direct comparison between two things that may not appear similar at all. Metaphors directly state that one thing is another. Metaphors are an example of figurative language because they aren't meant to be taken literally."

Jesus H. Fucking Christ.
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble. - Joseph Campbell  Popcorn

Militant Atheist Commie Evolutionist 
It were the Norns. I seed 'em.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kenya cult deaths: Four die after suspected starvation plot zebo-the-fat 0 539 April 14, 2023 at 11:15 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Why not dismiss the trinitarian belief outright R00tKiT 80 7242 August 13, 2021 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5444 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  No more “lead us not into temptation” Fake Messiah 22 2471 June 15, 2019 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Belief Catharsis 57 4279 March 24, 2019 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Would They Die for a Lie? YahwehIsTheWay 95 12685 December 27, 2018 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  A look into the mindset of an Evangelical Trumptard drfuzzy 10 1582 October 12, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Pope's visit to Ireland turning into a fiasco? Fake Messiah 11 2268 August 27, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  What's gotten into Italians? brewer 21 3030 March 5, 2018 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  You Put Absolutely NO Thought Into This Astonished 45 9910 August 28, 2017 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Astonished