Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 29, 2024, 2:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Something Rather Than Nothing?
RE: Why Something Rather Than Nothing?
I think things are sinking in- don't spook him. Big Grin
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(October 23, 2014 at 12:16 am)datc Wrote: "Goddidit" is equivalent to the meaningless "Blargdidit."
I agree.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(October 23, 2014 at 1:46 pm)datc Wrote:
(October 23, 2014 at 1:27 pm)rasetsu Wrote: And for what it's worth, in the Hindu pantheon, the Shakti or divine feminine is the active principle. Like much else here you've simply coughed up your pre-existing beliefs as self-evident assertions. They aren't.
Well then, the Hindus made a mistake and got it wrong, didn't they?
Why? Because you say so?

Let's examine your reasons.

(October 23, 2014 at 12:07 am)Stimbo Wrote: What makes you think "God" is a he?
(October 23, 2014 at 12:16 am)datc Wrote: The male / female duality is everywhere in our world.
Not true. It applies to sexually dimorphic life forms only. Amoeba have no male / female duality, nor does a rock. (And there's a lot more non-life matter in the universe than living matter.)

(October 23, 2014 at 12:16 am)datc Wrote: The masculine aspect tends to be interpreted as one with power to act, actuality; whereas the feminine aspect, as passive, one that is acted on, potency, potentiality.
That it tends to be interpreted as among certain cultures and for certain species does not support your generalization. There are species for whom it is true and species for whom the opposite is the case, and species that are neither. It's not a general rule of the world.

(October 23, 2014 at 12:16 am)datc Wrote: Nature is a "she";
Arbitrary assertion. Besides being purely arbitrary, since nature isn't a biological life form it has no sex.

(October 23, 2014 at 12:16 am)datc Wrote: ... the female archetype is both receptive and destructive in its various guises: e.g., if you do not take the opportunity to plant your crops in the summer when nature is pliable, the same nature will starve and kill you in the winter.
The what? What do cultural archetypes have to do with nature?

(October 23, 2014 at 12:16 am)datc Wrote: But Nature's God is pure act with no admixture of potency in it. Hence is it appropriate to refer to God as "he."
How do you know this? This is simply another unfounded assertion.

On top of everything else, you keep arguing as if we can reason backward from the way the world is to the way the divine must be, as if some law of consistency between the two applied. It makes just as much sense to argue the reverse is true of the divine realm, that it is wholly other, than that it is the same. The only precedent for arguing such a law of consistency is based on the consistency of the natural world and assuming the divine must resemble it, but that is begging the question.

You have no more valid reason for positing the divine as the masculine of a sexual duality than you do for positing the feminine.

Remember, "He" is beyond all that exists in this world, including sexual dimorphism.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 23, 2014 at 3:13 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Good god, I gave heywood a kudos. Is this the apocalypse?

And LO, the riders did appear upon the Earth. And there were four of them.

And their names were Incredulity, Ignorance, Superstition, and Bob.

Confused Fall

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
(October 23, 2014 at 3:13 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Good god, I gave heywood a kudos. Is this the apocalypse?

His position is an interesting one for a Catholic theist. Suppose God creates angels....one angel after another. Further suppose God has been engaged in creating angels for eternity. How many angels would exist? The number would be uncountable.

Now in Catholic theology an angel isn't a physical thing....but it is real. I don't know of any necessary truth which limits the number of physical things which can exist.
(October 23, 2014 at 3:43 pm)rasetsu Wrote:
(October 23, 2014 at 12:16 am)datc Wrote: The masculine aspect tends to be interpreted as one with power to act, actuality; whereas the feminine aspect, as passive, one that is acted on, potency, potentiality.
That it tends to be interpreted as among certain cultures and for certain species does not support your generalization. There are species for whom it is true and species for whom the opposite is the case, and species that are neither. It's not a general rule of the world.
Dude, wtf do you want from me? I was asked to provide my own personal reasons for why I consider God to be a "he." Those reasons included a number of different observations, including the allegedly impermissible "cultural archetypes," human experience, and all that.

For example, man manipulates matter; he is a shaper of nature; he bends nature to his will. Nature is passive putty in human hands; potency; it can take many different forms. Human intelligence and labor are active; act; humans command and possess nature, put it on the rack and steal its secrets. So far so uncontroversial, right? Well, men possess women, as well, in a manner of speaking (e.g., not as property) in sex and marital communion. Hence, humans:nature::men:women. Hence, nature is a "she."

This is not a knockdown "argument"; it's an analogy, a fitting way to arrange your own personal world.

Don't like it? Then don't refer to God as a he, or don't refer to God at all. It's up to you.
And I thought it was because only a man could create something so spectacular and complex as the human body with so many basic flaws in it. . .

Wink

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
Actually, I was going for a much more prosaic explanation (in both senses of the word). Isn't there some book or other that both uses the masculine pronoun and expresses the word 'god' as a proper noun?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(October 23, 2014 at 2:28 pm)Surgenator Wrote:
(October 23, 2014 at 2:21 pm)datc Wrote: As you can see, I am responding to practically everyone; so, if I have not responded to your point, then either I am still thinking about it, or your point is nonsense.

In this particular case, it's the latter.
If it's nonsense, then please tell me how a choice from one million possibilities vs an infinite number of possibilities affects the how the choice was picked.
The choice between the forms (essences) of the universe to be created was either random or intelligent. If it was determined, the problem is simply pushed back one step. In fact, randomness is the intelligence of matter or merely material objects.

Suppose random. I asked myself at lunch to pick a random number. My answer: 75 or 1/4 or pi. Clearly, these numbers are those that are in use in daily life or at best, science. I certainly did not consider x = googol^(googol^(...^googol)) 75 times. By how much greater than x is actual infinity!

Therefore, an honest and fair Random World Generator (RWG) considers every possible world to be equiprobable. But for an infinitude of worlds, the probability of any to be picked is again, exactly (not "effectively") 0.

Moreover, every world would have to be considered and either rejected or picked. It's like you stick your hand in an urn with balls, check out every ball, and pick a hopefully "lucky" one. But no non-rational RWG can fairly consider for selection every member of an infinite set.

There is another consideration. The RWG can solve the problem of choosing a world by picking an arbitrary world and using that as the solution. But each possible world is for an unintelligent chooser no better and no worse than any other one. How does an impartial RWG pick even an arbitrary world?

Now remember that all abstracta are convertible to each other. Thus, we may imagine a world, 1E, with just a single thing in it: an elementary particle. This sort of converts a world into a number. The RWG can then say: "I'll pick the world with the fewest number of particles in it." This immediately narrows down the choice to 1E. But this is already an intelligent choice. The RWG would have to be programmed by an intelligent agent in order to be so clever.

The result is that the chooser is intelligent and chooses according to an end sought.
Its the same argument with more fancy sounding terms. You don't get to say "this seems unlikely to me therefore X is true".
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is CS a science or engineering, or maybe something else? FlatAssembler 90 6089 November 6, 2023 at 7:48 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Something from Nothing Banned 66 11939 March 7, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Everything is nothing, and nothing is everything. goombah111 64 9503 January 3, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: goombah111
  Creatio Ex Nihilo - Forming Something out of Nothing? GrandizerII 70 12439 February 24, 2015 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Something more. Mystic 20 2960 October 20, 2014 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Can the laws of physics bring something into existence? Freedom of thought 23 5881 June 23, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Surgenator
  "That's not nothing" Freedom of thought 38 7451 May 16, 2014 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  The following is not a question: Can something come from nothing? Alex K 204 32025 April 16, 2014 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
  Why your exsistence is more worthless than you previousy thought it was. x2theone2x 101 19788 February 12, 2014 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Name 1 Something that You are Sure of Walking Void 59 11081 July 27, 2013 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Zen Badger