Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creatio Ex Nihilo - Forming Something out of Nothing?
Creatio Ex Nihilo - Forming Something out of Nothing?
Just had a good think about this idea thanks to another thread. And what confuses me is that a lot of theists will argue that "out of nothing, nothing comes" but then go on to say that God created stuff from this "nothing".

I guess what my issue with this is how is this logical if "nothing" (in the philosophical sense that most theists stick to) is not meant to have any sort material from which to form anything. Nothing supposedly means no stuff, no properties, no material, etc.
RE: Creatio Ex Nihilo - Forming Something out of Nothing?
(February 21, 2015 at 7:58 pm)Irrational Wrote: Just had a good think about this idea thanks to another thread. And what confuses me is that a lot of theists will argue that "out of nothing, nothing comes" but then go on to say that God created stuff from this "nothing".

I guess what my issue with this is how is this logical if "nothing" (in the philosophical sense that most theists stick to) is not meant to have any sort material from which to form anything. Nothing supposedly means no stuff, no properties, no material, etc.

Well articulated. I find the Ex Nihilo position of theists to be special pleading. If God has properties (including the will to create) then God is not nothing, and so God must have a source. If God has no properties, then God is nothing, and then theists must agree that nothing does indeed come from nothing, and their argument crumbles like a three day old scone under a jackhammer.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It's almost like they are saying, "Stuff coming from nothing is impossible, so you need someone who can do things that are impossible."
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 21, 2015 at 8:50 pm)robvalue Wrote: It's almost like they are saying, "Stuff coming from nothing is impossible, so you need someone who can do things that are impossible."

That's basically the core of all christian apologetics: "God is the thing that does the thing that I've asserted is impossible for what you believe to account for."

They don't have any actual evidence, and so they're stuck with trying to streamline reality by fiat in such a way that you're channeled toward a god that has no evidence. It's just pretending reality is shaped in a way that has a conveniently god shaped hole in it.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
"Something from nothing" is also a good parallel to how they form their arguments based on the available evidence.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(February 21, 2015 at 7:58 pm)Irrational Wrote: ... God created stuff from this "nothing".
If there is a god, then there is not 'nothing'.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
I'm getting a bit fed up of the "argument" that if no evidence exists or can possibly exist, it is rational to just pretend whatever you like happened.

But again, no sane christian would use this line or reasoning in any other subject than religion. At least I hope not.

Index of my best videos
(February 21, 2015 at 9:00 pm)IATIA Wrote:
(February 21, 2015 at 7:58 pm)Irrational Wrote: ... God created stuff from this "nothing".
If there is a god, then there is not 'nothing'.

That's also another problem with this concept, yes. Somehow, God just happens to co-exist with nothingness in a "parallel" sense.
'Nothing' is just that. Any description given to nothing, makes it something. No rational entity believes this universe came from 'nothing'. We are here, so there can never have been 'nothing'.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
Actually, the bible says the world was created by "Word" (Jesus is the Word of God), therefore creation is not made from nothing
(though we tend to see it this way) but from God.
Our own apologists ought to state this.
AE Wilder-Smith did, to his credit.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is CS a science or engineering, or maybe something else? FlatAssembler 90 4904 November 6, 2023 at 7:48 am
Last Post: FlatAssembler
  Something from Nothing Banned 66 11346 March 7, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Everything is nothing, and nothing is everything. goombah111 64 8687 January 3, 2017 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: goombah111
  Why Something Rather Than Nothing? datc 249 30007 November 7, 2014 at 4:33 pm
Last Post: LostDays
  Something more. Mystic 20 2883 October 20, 2014 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Can the laws of physics bring something into existence? Freedom of thought 23 5698 June 23, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Surgenator
  "That's not nothing" Freedom of thought 38 7109 May 16, 2014 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  The following is not a question: Can something come from nothing? Alex K 204 30596 April 16, 2014 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
  Name 1 Something that You are Sure of Walking Void 59 10880 July 27, 2013 at 9:58 pm
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Belief means holding something to be true in philosophy Dawud 6 4419 April 26, 2013 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Dawud