Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 10:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism is unreasonable
RE: Atheism is unreasonable
I think that you can tell a lot more by looking at something than you can by scientifically studying it. And if you have just 3 or 4 categories to put things in, that speeds up the process.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(November 19, 2014 at 10:34 am)robvalue Wrote: I think that you can tell a lot more by looking at something than you can by scientifically studying it. And if you have just 3 or 4 categories to put things in, that speeds up the process.

Pfft, that's how I look at world. And it's really easy! There are only two "kinds" in my world, "red things" and "Not red things". Makes everthing sooo simple~
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Oh wow, I never thought of that, that will speed things up even more!

Red things good, not red things, bad.

All my work done by 9.30 AM.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(November 19, 2014 at 10:41 am)robvalue Wrote: Oh wow, I never thought of that, that will speed things up even more!

Red things good, not red things, bad.

All my work done by 9.30 AM.

your avatar: good.
your username: bad.
So far this page of the thread is fantastic, all the avatars have red.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Whoah, whoah... whoah!?

My username? Ow, that one cut deep. I am robvalue, it's my eternal name, I am robvalue everywhere. It is my identity. And for some reason, it's never taken when I go somewhere new.

Probably because it's a stupid fucking name, but I think it's funny. There is a reason behind the name, but not a good reason. It was part of a fad I had many years ago where I put the word "value" on the end of lots of words, so it ended up on my name.

Oh yeah, it's not red, so it does suck, you're right.

Yeah, the avatar is cool, I wish I was that cool. Props for anyone who recognizes it? It's from one of my favourite games ever, one which sadly did really badly in sales.

Index of my best videos
(November 18, 2014 at 3:28 pm)His_Majesty Wrote: When I say "dogs produce dogs", in other words I am saying that animals only produce what they are, not what they aren't..which is not the position of evolutionary biology. If you believe that the dogs of today came from non-dogs of yesterday, then...you know... lol

That's exactly the position of evolutionary biology. No animal will ever produce offspring of a different species, with the possible exception of certain hybrids. However, the descendants of an isolated population of dogs would be a different dog-like species after 10,000 generations, and after 10,000 more their descendants would be less dog-like and surely no longer capable of interbreeding with main population of dogs this population split off from. However at no point did any animal give birth to offspring that weren't the same species as the parent. If the generation length doesn't change (remains about 2 years), this would take about 10,000 years. Dogs are an interesting case, because although they're all over the world, they've never been completely reproductively isolated (despite the best efforts of breeders), so although artificial selection has produced varieties as distinct as toy poodles and Irish Wolfhounds, they can all still interbreed, with the exception of breeds that are too anatomically different to be able to mate. They remain dogs, due to a combination of continued interbreeding and the fact that artificial selection works much faster than natural selection, so that the morphological changes far outpace the genetic drift that eventually results in genomes being too incompatible for interbreeding to be successful. In our hypothetical isolated dog population, after roughly 60 million years, it would have, on average, as much in common genetically with the original dog population as current dogs have with cats.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(November 19, 2014 at 10:50 am)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(November 18, 2014 at 3:28 pm)His_Majesty Wrote: When I say "dogs produce dogs", in other words I am saying that animals only produce what they are, not what they aren't..which is not the position of evolutionary biology. If you believe that the dogs of today came from non-dogs of yesterday, then...you know... lol

That's exactly the position of evolutionary biology. No animal will ever produce offspring of a different species, with the possible exception of certain hybrids. However, the descendants of an isolated population of dogs would be a different dog-like species after 10,000 generations, and after 10,000 more their descendants would be less dog-like and surely no longer capable of interbreeding with main population of dogs this population split off from. However at no point did any animal give birth to offspring that weren't the same species as the parent. If the generation length doesn't change (remains about 2 years), this would take about 10,000 years. Dogs are an interesting case, because although they're all over the world, they've never been completely reproductively isolated (despite the best efforts of breeders), so although artificial selection has produced varieties as distinct as toy poodles and Irish Wolfhounds, they can all still interbreed, with the exception of breeds that are too anatomically different to be able to mate. They remain dogs, due to a combination of continued interbreeding and the fact that artificial selection works much faster than natural selection, so that the morphological changes far outpace the genetic drift that eventually results in genomes being too incompatible for interbreeding to be successful. In our hypothetical isolated dog population, after roughly 60 million years, it would have, on average, as much in common genetically with the original dog population as current dogs have with cats.

Also there is types of birds they cannot interbreed because they are separate species of birds so to say all birds are the same kind would be wrong. as a chicken cannot mate with other birds as it not would have a fertile off spring. Dogs are a true exception and a few other species of animals are.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(November 19, 2014 at 10:50 am)robvalue Wrote: Whoah, whoah... whoah!?

My username? Ow, that one cut deep. I am robvalue, it's my eternal name, I am robvalue everywhere. It is my identity. And for some reason, it's never taken when I go somewhere new.
Not red ==> bad!
Either people want to go get educated on this stuff, or they are content to be completely ignorant and make fools of themselves (evolution). Staring at some dogs and listening to Ray Comfort does not make you as qualified as an evolutionary biologist. (Yes, really!)

EDIT haha yeah, my brain not working today, I realized afterwards you said it because it's not red. I got to tell my story though. I only have one story. I was only mucking around though, I know it's a stupid name, it's why I keep it.

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The balance of an unreasonable lifestyle Castle 91 15013 September 22, 2011 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: frankiej