Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 4:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billboard proclaims "Nobody is born gay"
RE: Billboard proclaims "Nobody is born gay"
(December 12, 2014 at 6:22 pm)rexbeccarox Wrote:
(December 12, 2014 at 5:54 pm)Rob216 Wrote: I kinda feel like that's one of the problems with the gay community though. They make it a point to try to make their sex life EVERYONE'S business. I don't have a problem with somebody being gay, I just think that their activism is executed poorly. One of the reasons that the civil rights campaign finally had success was because MLK was such a great speaker and figure for the cause. When one of the most visible activists for gay rights is Rosie O'Donnell, the cause is bound to have a certain degree of failure. Just my opinion.

Generalize much?

Seriously, your post makes me hopping mad. I think you're a reasonable person who really needs to read what he just posted and re-think it.

I think maybe I either misrepresented myself or you misinterpreted what I was trying to say. Is your biggest issue with me saying "gay community" because I suppose I should have said "some gay activists". I have 3 female friends that are gay so I assure you that I wasn't trying to insult the community as a whole.
Quote:I kinda feel like that's one of the problems with the gay community though. They make it a point to try to make their sex life EVERYONE'S business. I don't have a problem with somebody being gay, I just think that their activism is executed poorly. One of the reasons that the civil rights campaign finally had success was because MLK was such a great speaker and figure for the cause. When one of the most visible activists for gay rights is Rosie O'Donnell, the cause is bound to have a certain degree of failure. Just my opinion.

They try to make it everyone's business? Seriously? Maybe if conservative lawmakers and religious whack-a-loons weren't constantly telling gay people that they aren't as human as the rest of us and don't deserve the same rights, they wouldn't HAVE to speak up. If you have an issue with gay people being vocal, gays are the wrong people to take it up with.

I'm not a USian, but - as I understand it - gay rights are proceeding at a breakneck pace, as regards gay marriage, workplace discrimination, and the adoption of children. Could you kindly point out what you see as 'a certain degree of failure' in the gay rights cause, and how you can lay these at Rosie O'Donnell's door?

Yup, just your opinion. Have fun with it.

Boru
‘I can’t be having with this.’ - Esmeralda Weatherwax
(December 12, 2014 at 6:28 pm)robvalue Wrote: Um, are you saying they shouldn't have the same rights as regular married couples? What's wrong with gay marriage?

Or are you saying they are going about getting those rights badly?

I'm not sure what I said that made people think that I'm against homosexuals getting married. What I was trying to say is that some of the gay activism is not effective.
Yeah well you didn't do a good job communicating that subtlety between your fox news level "they are stuffing their sexuality down our throats!!!" whining
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

OK cool, I misinterpreted what you said, sorry.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I think that a lot of people don't consider how much our society advances heterosexual as being the norm. I have friends who ask why gay actors and actresses have to come out when straight people don't. They aren't being purposely dense, they just honestly can't imagine anything outside of their world.That is why discussions like these are important. It is important to put yourself in another person's position but how can you do that if you have no basis to imagine how they would feel?
(December 12, 2014 at 6:39 pm)Alex K Wrote: Yeah well you didn't do a good job communicating that subtlety between your fox news level "they are stuffing their sexuality down our throats!!!" whining

Yea that wasn't what I was going for at all. This is one of problems with posting something on a site when the people reading it don't know you personally. If you did know me personally you'd know before the discussion even began that I don't have a problem with homosexuals. I was only commenting on the activism itself.
(December 12, 2014 at 6:53 pm)Rob216 Wrote:
(December 12, 2014 at 6:39 pm)Alex K Wrote: Yeah well you didn't do a good job communicating that subtlety between your fox news level "they are stuffing their sexuality down our throats!!!" whining

Yea that wasn't what I was going for at all. This is one of problems with posting something on a site when the people reading it don't know you personally. If you did know me personally you'd know before the discussion even began that I don't have a problem with homosexuals. I was only commenting on the activism itself.

Bullshit! You were replying to this:

(December 12, 2014 at 3:02 pm)robvalue Wrote: I'm amazed someone could think that what consenting adults do in the bedroom is anyone's business but their own.

What does that have to do with activism?
Ok I did not know that what you took issue with is what I was replying to. By replying I was not saying that I had an issue with whomever people choose to sleep with. Instead of me trying to backtrack I'll just say this so I don't misrepresent myself anymore:

I think homosexuals should have the same rights that everyone else has.

I am truly sorry if I've insulted anybody. I promise that I only intended to speak about the activism itself and that I went about it poorly.
"My life has taught me that true spiritual insight can come about only through direct experience, the way a severe burn can be attained only by putting your hand in the fire. Faith is nothing more than a watered-down attempt to accept someone else's insight as your own." -Damien Echols
(December 12, 2014 at 5:54 pm)Rob216 Wrote: I kinda feel like that's one of the problems with the gay community though. They make it a point to try to make their sex life EVERYONE'S business. I don't have a problem with somebody being gay, I just think that their activism is executed poorly. One of the reasons that the civil rights campaign finally had success was because MLK was such a great speaker and figure for the cause. When one of the most visible activists for gay rights is Rosie O'Donnell, the cause is bound to have a certain degree of failure. Just my opinion.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that gays will stop coming out when they aren't subject to bigotry. Until then, coming out as a gay is a sensible way for a famous gay person to encourage the millions who, being unknown, are much more vulnerable to unjust treatment.

(December 12, 2014 at 6:18 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: If nothing else, the total lack of response from their god just makes the whole farce all the more apparent.

Oh, please, everyone knows Katrina hit New Orleans due to the city's libertine immorality arising from its gays. Leastaways, that's what Pat Robertson says, and we all know he's got 1-800-GODCALL.

(December 12, 2014 at 6:26 pm)Rob216 Wrote: "Lick Bush in 2001"

That was a master troll at work, right there.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who told you that you were naked? Um nobody. Fake Messiah 7 995 March 21, 2019 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: Nakara
  Nobody reads science books metaphorically! ignoramus 55 14914 June 11, 2018 at 8:54 am
Last Post: Drich
  Okay, You Were Born Gay...But You're Still Going To Hell! Nope 18 7851 December 15, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox
  Born this way, baby Silver 170 53421 March 29, 2013 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: John V
  Being born again linked to brain atrophy Oldandeasilyconfused 14 7235 January 9, 2012 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Born again Atheist Rokcet Scientist 4 2744 September 1, 2011 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  Jesus was born, um, somewhere around this time DeistPaladin 39 12052 March 12, 2011 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New Atheist Billboard Secularone 8 3214 November 4, 2009 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: Meatball