Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 2:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nobody reads science books metaphorically!
Nobody reads science books metaphorically!
This thread is to be taken Mathilda style! Big Grin

But really, aren't we all sick and tired of theists reading anything they want from the bible and just say: No, you don't read that bad bit literally, silly!
Oh, how fucking convenient is that!

Theists, here's a pro tip.
Science books don't need the readers imagination in order to convey information. Same goes for all non fiction literature.
Some poetry and fiction novels really benefit from the reader's imagination to bring the writer's "world" to life for a more entertaining experience.

And here we are, with the world's most authoritative work, the bible, and no 2 people can agree exactly how or when or what parts should be read literally or metaphorically.
And if that's not bad enough, people try to live their life by it!

I don't get how they don't get it Dunno

Dodgy
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Nobody reads science books metaphorically!
It's "special sauce" to make the ground woodchuck taste better.
(June 6, 2018 at 8:05 am)ignoramus Wrote: This thread is to be taken Mathilda style! Big Grin

This could be like Gangnam style! Smile (Yeah, I'm still down with the kids)

Imagine trying to read someone's paper written using using metaphors.

Seismic Activity Related to the Evolution of the Explosive Eruption of Chaiten Volcano in the Southern Andes Volcanic Zone

Quote:Chaiten volcano, located in the southern part of the Southern Andes Volcanic Zone, is a small volcanic structure formed by a Holocene rhyolitic dome situated inside an Upper Pleistocene caldera-like structure. No historic eruption record had been documented and no seismic volcano monitoring system had been installed prior to the beginning of the plinian eruption on May 1. Prior crustal seismic activity below Chaiten volcano was recorded in 2005 by temporal seismic stations located in the vicinity (Lange et al., 2008). Plinian eruption started after approximately 30 hours of strong and perceptible precursory volcanotectonic (VT) seismic activity, including approximately 15 major events and many related aftershocks....

... becomes

Quote:An inactive facade fitting in with societal norms located in the hot, dusty desert of the soul, is a small statue formed from the boiling temperament of human emotion. No one had ever heard the peaceful neighbour ever utter a bad word, yet neither did anyone ever listen out for it. That is until the neighbour grew tired of being taken for granted on May 1. The boiling cauldron of resentfulness of a mundane existence withering away like a cut rose left on the windowsill of life reached out to others in 2005 before erupting into a full on tirade for approximately 30 hours, including approximately 15 major realisations and many related aftershocks....
This had me laughing with just the title.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'm currently imagining lawyers arguing in court about the intricacies of The Human Rights Act 1998 written using metaphors.

Or an electrical engineer referring to the IEEE 2018 wiring regulations for how to wire a house for the life force of electricity that will invigorate the kitchen appliances with the enthusiastic zest of a young child.
Science books don't tend to include threats about what will happen to you if you don't believe what is says either.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
The answer is a question...somehow Smile
At the begining it should also be mentioned that physics or mathematics science books are a little different from scientific books such as History or Philosophy ... the first ones are rather objective, but the latter are often very subjective and depend a bit on the author..
Why do some people take a newspaper, a guide or any book outside of the Bible, they don't think about whether the content presented in them is questionable, they accept it or not...? However, when they reach the Bible, they have so many doubts and suspicions about it that this is not authentic and that it isn't compatible with the history of almost every event described there.Who is sowing these doubts? Where does it come from? After all, there has not been one that would undermine any element in this book...(with the exception of our usual doubts ... reluctance ... or whatever). When there were those who tried to undermine the compatibility of the Bible with history, then in the knowledge of the issue, only their ignorance came out and the presumption in this matter testified to the lack of available evidence at the time when they undertook this task. And many times it happened so that several years passed, that someone discovered evidence, and then the author who questioned the compatibility of the Bible with history, he had to hide his head in the sand.
Surely the Bible is not intended to be a historical book, but if it already provides any information about that period, it is credible...
BTW..if anyone wrote stories and rights in the Old Testament (talks about culture, law, everyday life, the structure of society, etc. of ancient Jews), there was a purpose in that - otherwise there would be no sense. For several thousand years Jews have been sticking to this law. Other tribes / nations passed away but THEY still are!!
Is the Bible consistent with history? ... hmm this question can not be answered .. In my opinion, one should ask if, for example, the Book of Genesis is in accordance with history. The Bible is a collection of books written by different people ...So the Bible is a subjective book, because it is written by the nation of the heroes of history contained in them. I think, therefore, that the historical value has more or less such as the Gall of Anonymus.... anyway the Bible it's not just a collection of fairy tales as some people think!  Tongue
"Alone is what I have. Alone protects me." 
“I may be on the side of the angels but don’t think for one second that I am one of them.”
“The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existence. One cannot help but be in awe when he contemplates the mysteries of eternity, of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery each day."
Nope, it's not compatible with history, it contains many events that demonstrably didn't happen. (This is where metaphor steps in to save the day!)

It contains a few things that did happen, although they are likely to be romanticized or exaggerated.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(June 6, 2018 at 9:09 am)robvalue Wrote: Science books don't tend to include threats about what will happen to you if you don't believe what is says either.

Might work though the next time I submit a paper if I can figure out who the reviewers will be.
PS: of course history isn't a hard science, but that doesn't mean "anything goes", either; at least not to someone who is interested in the truth.

"If you find an error in this textbook, please don't hesitate to fuck off. I'm never updating this book ever, it is perfect. I'm not interested. You're obviously wrong. You don't understand it. Read it again properly. And if you still don't believe it, I'll torture you later."

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Best books on religion? EgoDeath 15 1751 August 29, 2019 at 7:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Who told you that you were naked? Um nobody. Fake Messiah 7 786 March 21, 2019 at 10:20 pm
Last Post: Nakara
  If God of Abraham books are false Smain 6 2050 June 26, 2018 at 7:36 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  What new books would you like in the Bible? Fake Messiah 13 2160 February 6, 2018 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Billboard proclaims "Nobody is born gay" Foxaèr 201 28664 December 22, 2014 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The monopoly manual and holy books. Lemonvariable72 23 4514 November 18, 2014 at 10:00 am
Last Post: JonDarbyXIII
  Abrahamic Religions and their Holy Books xpastor 20 7209 October 27, 2014 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: JuliaL
  This mentality seems more common on the Left. 24 years later, it reads like parody: Mudhammam 0 1306 August 9, 2014 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Free holy books Fromper 7 1914 May 29, 2014 at 10:05 pm
Last Post: Cato
  How do you prove your religion/holy books were not corrupted. Mystic 24 8724 March 7, 2013 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic