Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 2:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Road to Glendale: NFL Playoffs discussion
RE: The Road to Glendale: NFL Playoffs discussion
And as if on cue, Russell Wilson also blames god for the four interceptions.
Quote:I found Wilson afterward, and asked him about the four picks, and going from the worst game of his life to the most exhilarating in the span of eight minutes of game time.

"That's God setting it up, to make it so dramatic, so rewarding, so special," he said, alone for a moment in the locker room before heading out for the night. "I've been through a lot in life, and had some ups and downs. It's what's led me to this day."
So it turns out that Drich is right: god would give you cancer just so you could appreciate how awesome he is.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
You know, Wilson's a fine human being and all that, but his incessant religio-babble got him removed from my twitter feed. Fortunately, the team retweets anything worth hearing, and little of the junk.
(January 20, 2015 at 12:25 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote:
(January 20, 2015 at 11:42 am)Brian37 Wrote: I know people joke about that, but in all seriousness that is someone's job. I hate Dallas(just from a fan rivalry point, but not seriously enough to want someone's job to end).

Frankly I also hate the fighting in Hockey, it gets ratings, but that really sends a bad message in sports in general. It is why fans fight in stadiums, and sickos get so religious about it, there have been soccer fans who have murdered their own team's players for losing a game.

I think sports is ok, it is a reflection of our evolutionary competition, but no one really needs to take it so seriously.

Fuck the 'Skins.

Throw in ABBA too while you are at it.
That's right, fuck ABBA too.

Oh, and the short folk. Fuck 'em.

(January 20, 2015 at 1:56 am)Tiberius Wrote: Being relatively new to American football, I find the hate people seem to hold for other teams is really bizarre. Football rivalries I get, but comments like the one above are really odd to me.

But, you come from a country where people are notorious for their bad football behavior. Though, I admit that I don't know how well-justified that reputation is. People here get heated and say mean things, but we generally don't physically scrap over sports. And I don't think most of us really mean it.

That being said, I couldn't spare tears to cry for Joe Flacco if he happened to die in a fire made of ebola.
(January 20, 2015 at 5:43 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: But, you come from a country where people are notorious for their bad football behavior. Though, I admit that I don't know how well-justified that reputation is. People here get heated and say mean things, but we generally don't physically scrap over sports. And I don't think most of us really mean it.

That being said, I couldn't spare tears to cry for Joe Flacco if he happened to die in a fire made of ebola.
Yeah I suppose, though those kind of fans are the minority. It seems most American football fans I meet love to shit talk about the other team and take it to the extreme (as in the example I quoted). As a Pats fan, I understand the rivalry between us and the Jets, but to be fair, some of the closest games the Pats played this season were against the Jets, and both teams played well.

Either way, it's just something I noticed after spending a few months here. I also agree with Brian37; the fights in hockey really put me off the sport after I learned that they occur quite frequently. You'd expect professional sports players to have a higher level of sportsmanship than...well children.
The shit talking exists everywhere.
[Image: th?id=HN.608016770813461964&pid=1.7]

I would also take my chances with a straight up fist fight that is part of the game (like it or not) than be subject to sneak attack by Uruguayan vampire.
[Image: Luis-Suarez-bite.png]

As I said before, fighting in hockey is part of the North American game. I understand why some may find it off-putting, but it has its purposes other than the cheap thrill some fans seem to get from it. There is also an unofficial code to fighting that many new to the sport don't understand.
People watch hockey for the fights like people watch Formula 1 for the wrecks. Real fans aren't overly interested in either, even if they are a halfway decent side show.

The Pats have enemies everywhere, because they freaking win so much. The Steelers have been knocked out of the AFC Championship in Pittsburgh three times because of those jackasses. I still weep when I see Joey Porter dropping a sure pick six that sends us to the Super Bowl against the fucking Eagles. Any team from the AFC wins that damned game. Got it the next year, though.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(January 20, 2015 at 11:40 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: The Pats have enemies everywhere, because they freaking win so much.

You'd win a bunch too, if you were stuck in such a pathetic division. :p
(January 20, 2015 at 11:56 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: You'd win a bunch too, if you were stuck in such a pathetic division. :p

Right! With the likes of the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins scratching together 10 wins a season between them...
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  That Unofficial NFL Thread Brian37 158 10091 March 11, 2024 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  How could I miss this rule for 55 years in the NFL? Brian37 14 1746 December 1, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Professoinal Wrestling Discussion T.J. 13 1469 November 11, 2021 at 11:26 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  CFL VS NFL..... Brian37 28 3123 August 28, 2021 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Anyone watching the NFL draft? Brian37 11 1250 May 2, 2021 at 4:50 am
Last Post: Ravenshire
  NFL Pro Bowl Brian37 0 284 January 31, 2021 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Brian37
  NFL and Covid....... Cam Newton..... Brian37 2 461 October 3, 2020 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  NFL triva..... Brian37 2 364 September 29, 2020 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  NFL's Tom Dempsey latest victim of virus. Brian37 3 800 April 5, 2020 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Athene
  NFL may be headed to player negotiation. Brian37 9 1069 August 15, 2019 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4