Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 9:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Atheism Lead to Nihilism?
RE: Does Atheism Lead to Nihilism?
Chad, if by "true intentionality" you mean the type of freedom that invokes spontaneous generation, I don't think that was really ever a serious proposal
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(March 11, 2015 at 1:58 pm)Esquilax Wrote: We have a real world that we share, full of predictable effects to causes, in which we share a uniform biological nature, within a set of well explained parameters. This is an objective fact: we live in a reality. We can use that reality to figure out what's good and bad for humans, and more broadly, for other thinking beings: dying is bad for us, as is injury. Pleasure is good for us, etc etc. It's trivial, but it's a thing we can do.

That right there is a sufficient framework upon which to hang morality: that which is good for thinking beings is morally good, and that which is bad is morally bad. These things can be ranked according to the severity of the effect, mitigating circumstances, and other things, and when they come into conflict with each other we can use reason- blind reason- to come to equitable judgments about this. In order for this to work fairly, we can apply the outsider test to it.

Why should morality be about what's good for thinking beings? Try to have a moral system without them, it's impossible. Inanimate objects perform no actions, therefore there is nothing to judge moral or immoral. Only thinking beings can be moral or immoral, and therefore morality requires them; they are the center of what makes a moral system... extant. That's more than enough reason to privilege their existence within the context of morality.

I just don't get what is so hard to understand about this?

And without a doubt, most theists act according to this for almost every decision they make as a moral agent. Even the driving force behind their moral decisions are the same as ours.

They just overlay their god over their natural empathy, ethics and reciprocity, and give him the credit.

The instances they come up against the moral edicts in their holy books that disagree with their innate good morality, they have to engage in the most tortuous mental gymnastics in order to justify obviously immoral actions by their god (genocide, slavery, slaughter of the human race by flood, blood sacrifice, etc).

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
(March 11, 2015 at 12:25 pm)rasetsu Wrote: See, I don't agree with that. What we value doesn't determine what is ethically significant. We try to reason backward from what we value to what we find ethical because that seems the appropriate way to justify ethical norms. But that always leaves a gap; yes it's valuable, but is the good also morally good? I think in reality, ethical norms are just picked up along the way, subconsciously, without our conscious choosing of them (e.g. fairness as a value seems built-in to us; we don't 'choose' it). From what I understand of the various moral anti-realisms, I'd have to say that I'm a non-cognitivist, or maybe a presupposition failure type error theorist.

I don't see how what we value could not determine our ethics. Doesn't determining ethics require making value judgements?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(March 11, 2015 at 2:54 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: I just don't get what is so hard to understand about this?

Nor do I, but then, you and I are working from a different basis than theists, who seem to want morality in discrete, concrete edicts, rather than contextually driven principles that need to be reasoned out. If you're trained to think of something as being one way, it must be hard to consider that same thing from a completely different conceptual framework.

Sometimes I get the argument back that this still isn't good enough, presumably because the moral considerations we make based on reality aren't imbued with the same authority that they've come to expect from "deriving" their morality from god, but for one thing, that's hardly our problem. For another, what they're essentially saying is that they're willing to reject a reasonable moral consideration simply because it wasn't said with enough threatening force behind it.

Quote:And without a doubt, most theists act according to this for almost every decision they make as a moral agent. Even the driving force behind their moral decisions are the same as ours.

They just overlay their god over their natural empathy, ethics and reciprocity, and give him the credit.

That's basically how god has worked for the entirety of the christian religion. Every iteration of the church just points at things we already know are good, and say "God does that."
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(March 11, 2015 at 1:58 pm)Esquilax Wrote: Here's the thing with all these "we should all just be selfish and act for our own self interest!" claims: they make a huge and confusing assumption, which is that in the hypothetical in which everyone just does what they want and discards the social contract entirely,
All you have done is push the problem back the self-interest in preserving the tribe (often to the exclusion of other tribes). So the next step is to push it onto the overall survival of Mankind. Then, I suppose to all sentient species. At each level, the motivating principle is self-interest, although at the higher levels it is an ‘enlightened’ self-interest.
(March 11, 2015 at 1:58 pm)Esquilax Wrote: We have a real world that we share, full of predictable effects to causes, in which we share a uniform biological nature, within a set of well explained parameters. …that right there is a sufficient framework upon which to hang morality …
How is it even possible for to group particular things into universal categories within the framework of naturalism (your version of reality)? The foundation of your moral system crumples if it isn’t grounded in a metaphysics that is compatible with things, like human beings and moral agents, having essential natures.
(March 11, 2015 at 5:13 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: At each level, the motivating principle is self-interest, although at the higher levels it is an ‘enlightened’ self-interest.
The same can be said for any action or suggestion ever made, since you're broadening the meaning of "self-interest" by the modifier "enlightened," which is simply to imply self-interest that takes the interests of others into account as though they were one's self.
(March 11, 2015 at 5:13 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: How is it even possible for to group particular things into universal categories within the framework of naturalism (your version of reality)? The foundation of your moral system crumples if it isn’t grounded in a metaphysics that is compatible with things, like human beings and moral agents, having essential natures.
I think people are content to imagine the worst possible suffering conceivable as essentially bad. From there it's not hard to work out a better framework that guarantees safeguards from the worst possible suffering conceivable and ideals that coincide with what a person defines as their real best interests.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(March 11, 2015 at 5:13 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: All you have done is push the problem back the self-interest in preserving the tribe (often to the exclusion of other tribes). So the next step is to push it onto the overall survival of Mankind. Then, I suppose to all sentient species. At each level, the motivating principle is self-interest, although at the higher levels it is an ‘enlightened’ self-interest.

Yep. I'm basically saying that all of these people focusing on individual self interest are misrepresenting what's really in our best interest. That said, since as I've explained morality necessarily concerns itself with thinking agents, this still aligns with a proper understanding of moral goodness.

Quote:How is it even possible for to group particular things into universal categories within the framework of naturalism (your version of reality)?

... Common traits and characteristics? You know, the definition of what a category is? Thinking

Quote: The foundation of your moral system crumples if it isn’t grounded in a metaphysics that is compatible with things, like human beings and moral agents, having essential natures.

Okay so, I'm getting tired of saying this to you over and over, but an assertion isn't an argument. But more importantly, what you're saying makes literally no sense at all: we can't recognize commonalities unless those commonalities belong to beings that are magic? How the hell does that even follow?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(March 11, 2015 at 3:35 pm)Faith No More Wrote: I don't see how what we value could not determine our ethics. Doesn't determining ethics require making value judgements?

Quote:Research on moral judgment has been dominated by rationalist models, in which moral judgment is thought to be caused by moral reasoning. The author gives 4 reasons for considering the hypothesis that moral reasoning does not cause moral judgment; rather, moral reasoning is usually a post hoc construction, generated after a judgment has been reached. The social intuitionist model is presented as an alternative to rationalist models. The model is a social model in that it deemphasizes the private reasoning done by individuals and emphasizes instead the importance of social and cultural influences. The model is an intuitionist model in that it states that moral judgment is generally the result of quick, automatic evaluations (intuitions). The model is more consistent than rationalist models with recent findings in social, cultural, evolutionary, and biological psychology, as well as in anthropology and primatology.

http://www3.nd.edu/~wcarbona/Haidt%202001.pdf
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(March 10, 2015 at 10:35 am)SteveII Wrote: I was wondering what your collective response is to the conclusion that atheism leads to nihilism.
IMHO, it does open the door. It is then one's choice to step through or not.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
(March 11, 2015 at 7:18 pm)IATIA Wrote:
(March 10, 2015 at 10:35 am)SteveII Wrote: I was wondering what your collective response is to the conclusion that atheism leads to nihilism.
IMHO, it does open the door. It is then one's choice to step through or not.

Why doesn't theism open the door to nihilism? Theists like to claim we're supposed to comply with an objective standard that we don't make up ourselves. We don't get to vote on it. We don't have to agree with it. It doesn't have to be good for us. There doesn't have to be anything good about it.

If that isn't nihilism, what is?

And how does having this code dictated by an invisible eccentric make it "objective"?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 11086 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Nihilism ShirkahnW 82 11654 January 14, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Dealing with existential nihilism Angst King 113 18780 April 2, 2017 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Sound and Nihilism henryp 26 5826 May 2, 2015 at 2:19 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Is nihilism the logical extreme of atheism? Whateverist 301 48243 October 23, 2014 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest
  Does Deep Thought Lead to God? Here's a Shallow Answer Jenny A 31 5505 September 10, 2014 at 3:52 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Nihilism Napoléon 45 14080 May 23, 2011 at 8:11 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Nihilism Light of Truth 24 7390 December 20, 2010 at 5:14 am
Last Post: lrh9
  How many forms of Nihilism do you subscribe to? Edwardo Piet 26 9322 May 18, 2010 at 2:27 am
Last Post: Violet