Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with existential nihilism
Dealing with existential nihilism
I was born Christian, er Mormon. I think it's christian, others have their own opinions. My dad had indoctrinated me into atheism by giving me skeptic podcasts, which completely changed my viewpoint.

I was about 14 when I determined I didn't believe (have evidence for) god(s) but I have, in the last four years, not been able to shake my existential nihilism. Does anyone have an answer to the question: If there is no afterlife and no consciousnesses to remember what we did in life and we are forgotten, why does it matter? Why should I logically keep living?
RE: Dealing with existential nihilism
I'd go here, myself.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Howdy Pawed-ner.

That's kind of a Debbie Downer. 

Why keep living,...... how about to procreate? It's a hell of a lot of fun, even when you just practice. 

You have no clue how you/your life may impact the world, neither do I. You could be that one butterfly.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 22, 2017 at 7:55 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Howdy Pawed-ner.

Why keep living,...... how about to procreate? It's a hell of a lot of fun, even when you just practice. 

You have no clue how you/your life may impact the world, neither do I. You could be that one butterfly.

But that's the point. It isn't that my life isn't good and full of potential to get even better, hell I'm in high school and I have a desk job with a 401k and I love my classes and my friends are great but it all ends and if I won't be able to look fondly back on my memories in an afterlife then why does it matter at all?
Life can mean whatever you want it to mean. I don't see why it has to continue forever for it to have meaning. Why not just enjoy it while you have it?
(March 22, 2017 at 7:43 pm)Angst King Wrote: I was born Christian, er Mormon. I think it's christian, others have their own opinions. My dad had indoctrinated me into atheism by giving me skeptic podcasts, which completely changed my viewpoint.

I was about 14 when I determined I didn't believe (have evidence for) god(s) but I have, in the last four years, not been able to shake my existential nihilism. Does anyone have an answer to the question: If there is no afterlife and no consciousnesses to remember what we did in life and we are forgotten, why does it matter? Why should I logically keep living?

Welcome and congratulations on leaving the Mormons.

LOL, don't worry about whether or not Mormon's are Christians.  Turns out Christians aren't doing it right either;  their Jewish God in fulfillment of Jewish Law and Jewish Prophecy impregnated a Jewish teenager to give birth to His Jewish son so that he might grow up amongst the Jews and learn from the Jewish religious teachers of that time all He needed to know to perfect Judaism and to accumulate 12 Jewish disciples so that He might preach his Judaism to the Jews.  Jesus even taught those Jews they needed to be better Jews than their religious leaders were.

So, it's pretty obvious the religion of Jesus is Judaism.

Those who are practicing Christianity are practicing a religion that is about Jesus, not OF Jesus. 

And the Mormons are ESPECIALLY wrong. 

Tongue
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 22, 2017 at 8:03 pm)Angst King Wrote:
(March 22, 2017 at 7:55 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Howdy Pawed-ner.

But that's the point. It isn't that my life isn't good and full of potential to get even better, hell I'm in high school and I have a desk job with a 401k and I love my classes and my friends are great but it all ends and if I won't be able to look fondly back on my memories in an afterlife then why does it matter at all?

You're young and that's a pretty dark outlook. Why the hell are you worrying about looking back on memories? At this point you should be concentrating on and experiencing the joy of making memories. And trust an old fart, memories are not the only thing worth living for. 

You get a chance for a new ride every day.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(March 22, 2017 at 7:43 pm)Angst King Wrote: I was born Christian, er Mormon. I think it's christian, others have their own opinions. My dad had indoctrinated me into atheism by giving me skeptic podcasts, which completely changed my viewpoint.

No problem.  Even if it doesn't matter to others or to you after death, it can matter to you right now and every day until you die.  If that isn't enough it might just be the residue of having your point of view so thoroughly fucked up by the magical thinking involved in the religion of your upbringing.  Give it time.  Maybe take up martial arts and train a lot.  You know, wax on .. whack off.
Quote:Why should I logically keep living?

Seriously, if you can't think of a reason maybe it would be best to end it now.  Unless you really want to delude yourself that some absurd invisible sky-daddy will give you your own planet when you die..... provided you keep forking over 10% to the morons....er mormons.

How far are you willing to go for fantasy?
(March 22, 2017 at 8:03 pm)Angst King Wrote: But that's the point. It isn't that my life isn't good and full of potential to get even better, hell I'm in high school and I have a desk job with a 401k and I love my classes and my friends are great but it all ends and if I won't be able to look fondly back on my memories in an afterlife then why does it matter at all?

Only you could honestly answer that question for yourself.  IDK why something has to be eternal to be meaningful, or matter..personally.  I find that alot of temporary things matter a hell of alot to me, how about you?  Would today matter less, to you, if there were no tommorrow?  To me, it would probably matter more.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Existential Inertia vs. Sustaining First Cause GrandizerII 8 1143 August 24, 2020 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10363 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Nihilism ShirkahnW 82 11088 January 14, 2018 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Sound and Nihilism henryp 26 5642 May 2, 2015 at 2:19 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Existential Import Mudhammam 9 1971 April 5, 2015 at 5:02 am
Last Post: Pizza
  The Existential Fallacy Pizza 6 2297 March 20, 2015 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Does Atheism Lead to Nihilism? SteveII 196 24660 March 16, 2015 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: Pizza
  Does this work express the feelings of existential angst shakuntala 1 822 November 21, 2014 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Is nihilism the logical extreme of atheism? Whateverist 301 46975 October 23, 2014 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest
  Existential comics CapnAwesome 7 3536 December 3, 2013 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon