Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 30, 2024, 12:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey!
Hey!
Hey,

I have recently come to the vivid realization that I have spent the best part of my life talking to thin air, to the walls, to the sky you name it and have basically wasted the precious time I have on this planet doing so.Religion and associated spiritualities have brought me no joy except for in the initial stages of getting into them.

I have surrounded myself with quite horrible people who were never friends and were only there with the proviso I remain unquestioning which I was never able to do. There were always questions. In the end that's all there were. Questions with more questions to follow with no satisfactory answers to be had.

I collapsed recently with severe chest pains and I thought now might be a good time for God to show up. I asked fervently for God to show me some sign of his/her/their/its existence yet as always 'God' remained completely silent. It was then I was struck with 2 notions. Either God isn't here and never has been or God is here but doesn't give a flying f*ck about me. Either way I'm alone in the situation.

It was after when I was recovering that I realized much of the stress in my life has come from my religious life and all of the things I put down to the supernatural were in reality simply coincidences, some of them big coincidences but coincidences all the same. Everything I have experienced supernaturally could quite easily have occurred using entirely natural and rational explanations. It's all been one big waste. I am pissed off in a very big way. I have allowed myself to have been duped.

That's my OP for what it's worth.

WL.
RE: Hey!
Not WL Craig, I suppose? That would be too much to hope for!

Welcome aboard the ship of the enlightened damned. Cookies will be provided later.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
You're not alone, darlin'. We can't provide you miracles here, but we can definitely provide support.

Welcome Smile
William Lane Craig? I'm far gone Stimbo but thankfully not that far gone Big Grin

Cheers dude. I'll grab a choc chip one I think.

Thanks rexbeccarox. Knowing that I am going to be put in the ground and there's no way out is difficult to accept however it's better to face the truth and be uncomfortable than live in a lie and been comforted.
I hear ya

I came to the same realization myself, which probably would have taken much longer were it not for a very close friend of myn who bassicly gave me lots to think about.

but yea man, welcome to the world of thinking for yourself Smile
Welcome

Good on you for lifting the veil. The anger will subside.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Better late than never. Welcome to the forum!
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Welcome
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Critical thinking! Bravo. Welcome!
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Thanks everyone Cool Shades

I was fortunate I guess in that I was a liberal Christian who believed in evolution and open to other paths being equally legitimate. My journey could have been a whole lot worse.

If I'm honest, even though I did believe, the main reasons why I ever went to church was down to fear of death, a need for a ready-made family and the social events which came from that.

Losing all of these so called friends has been difficult and I still feel the need for a structure which church brought me for a long time. I can't however go back because when I did step through the doors not so long ago I knew it was over, there was nothing whatsoever left and I don't believe in any aspect of the supernatural so it's not as if I can take a step sideways and join something else.

I need time to readjust but I feel this is a good place for that. Thanks again dudes/dudettes Big Grin
I spent the best part of my life believing in an imaginary system which could absolve me from imaginary sin and not only that, by believing in the imaginary deity and taking up the imaginary offer of an imaginary eternal life I was offered the chance to live in an imaginary world up in the sky when I died. And what did I have to do to have all of this? Simple, I gave up using my real brain in my real life in this real world. F*cked up or what?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey all... newbie decloaking! wchanley 33 3993 February 19, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hey :) Kate12345 10 2060 October 19, 2022 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Hey everyone Ryn 3 700 July 4, 2022 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Hey up, you lot. RozzerusUnrelentus 21 2826 January 4, 2021 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hey Bulxy88 13 2406 July 2, 2020 at 11:00 am
Last Post: Bulxy88