Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 4, 2024, 1:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion
RE: Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion
(March 25, 2015 at 1:48 pm)Esquilax Wrote:
(March 25, 2015 at 8:20 am)Mezmo! Wrote: They are basically the same problem. Anyone, but Heraclitus, can see that from cradle to grave, Joe is still Joe. And anyone, except Parmenides, can see that Joe has changed in material composition, size shape, and capacities. I wish there was a philosophical tradition that could somehow resolve this dilemma. Hmmmmm....

...Joe may have changed in material composition, but he has not done so entirely, all at once. Joe changes gradually over time, and since "Joe," as an identity,exists as a process going on within Joe's brain, that process can persist regardless of how many physical things change...
Maybe you didn't catch someone else's reference to Theseus's boat earlier or Pizz-atheist who further observed that when the contents of consciousness change then so also does any mental basis for a sense of self. Your proposed 'solution' only disguises the problem and doesn't answer how the identity is preserved throughout changes.
(March 25, 2015 at 1:54 pm)Pizz-atheist Wrote: Maybe we should be Software-Hardware dualists? Tongue
But in all seriousness if that is the case, mind-body dualism is of no practical importance; in fact, the specialness of the human mind disappears.
Quote:Your proposed 'solution' only disguises the problem and doesn't answer how the identity is preserved throughout changes.
Well there's the million dollar question: Is identity really preserved at all? Maybe at the end of the day, we are all asking the wrong questions? The reason why identity isn't reducible to particular things is, perhaps, because "I" doesn't mean anything more than what the dictionaries say: "pronoun-the person who is speaking or writing."
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
(March 25, 2015 at 6:17 pm)Pizz-atheist Wrote: The reason why identity isn't reducible to particular things is, perhaps, because "I" doesn't mean anything ...
Generally, I(!) agree. The distinction to be made, I believe, is between consciousness and the contents of consciousness.
(March 25, 2015 at 10:37 pm)Mezmo! Wrote: Generally, I(!) agree. The distinction to be made, I believe, is between consciousness and the contents of consciousness.
I agree that there is a distinction, but what I think that means is probably quite a bit different than what you mean.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
I'm skeptical of this distinction. What would consciousness be without content? "Awareness of sitting at a chair," with the "sitting at the chair" part cut away doesn't seem like anything at all. Awareness of _____?
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
If you have any questions, I'm fine with a PM or what have you.
There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide mankind that cannot be achieved as well or better through secular means.
Bitch at my blog! Follow me on Twitter! Subscribe to my YouTube channel!
What consciousness is in the first person perspective and what it is from the third person perspective will give you both what it is, and what it is made of. Just as a pain in my head accounts only for the experience of having a stroke, the third person understanding is a complimentary and necessary account for the entire description of the event being experienced. The moment we discovered that events, details, and our abilities in consciousness are entirely behold unto specific regions in the brain, to me, that was the moment this dualism nonsense became pure conjecture. If there were a separate unidentifiable substance required to generate consciousness, it wasn't very interesting to me if it was only useful if every single region of the brain was required to function perfectly in order for it to be recognized as anything coherent. That idea seems either false, or uninteresting.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The fascinating asymmetry of theist-atheist discussion Astreja 5 594 July 22, 2023 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" FlatAssembler 124 10279 February 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 9128 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Looking for comments / ideas for WIP project ABCs of Atheism Judashpeters 18 4951 April 9, 2018 at 2:22 pm
Last Post: Judashpeters
  Old threads of discussion I have had. Mystic 125 19188 April 3, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Am I a Deist? Cosmological Argument seems reasonable to me. _Velvet_ 97 18124 September 28, 2016 at 8:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheism Looking Good! TrueChristian 52 8152 February 15, 2016 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Mock dialogue of the Theist/Atheist discussion here. Mystic 99 26672 January 11, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  christian looking to understand athiests msid 212 38098 August 21, 2015 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  JW looking clarity followup Won2blv 108 13622 April 27, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Aractus