Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I a Deist? Cosmological Argument seems reasonable to me.
Am I a Deist? Cosmological Argument seems reasonable to me.
Hey everyone, i'm new here how are you all doing?

So, I don't really know what category I fit in, I have a set of beliefs that sometimes makes me want to say i'm an Atheist, but sometimes i'm not really sure if that would be actually true.

I plan on saying some of my beliefs and if you guys could enlighten me that would be great.

I'm also open to discussion on why exactly I'm convinced on any of those beliefs and would gladly withdraw from any of those positions if someone points me and explain to me that I failed on thinking critically on the subject.

I'll ask that you guys be pacient when reading as english its not my first language and this is the first time I write about that, so without further ado, those are my beliefs:

1: Yahweh doesn't exists, at least not in the way the bible describes him, because its clearly self-contradictory on so many ways it boggles my mind how can someone take it seriously.

2: I don't know if a guy named Jesus who could pull off (or not) some David Copperfield shit on his time existed, but if it did, I don't know how we can jump from there to "therefore god".

3: The universe coming into existance expontaneously (or uncaused) makes no sense to me, so the cosmological argument seem very compelling and the classic refutations of it don't really hold ihmo (maybe i'm too ignorant to grasp them, but that's why i'm here anyways)

So I tend (for now) to think its reasonable to believe there might be a first cause, and that cause would need be somewhat different from what we do know, outside of time, (because time its "a thing" of our universe) and thinking of this stuff makes my head hurt, because while I do think that the universe needing a cause its reasonable enough, we also can't really have it because it can't be anything prior to time, due to time itself being part of what makes a cause what it is.

So yeah, I have no idea.

What I do know tho its that the cosmological argument doesn't really point to anything like a personal god, it only talks about causality and how our universe usualy works and predicts that something would be "the first cause" and that cause would be somehow special, to avoid infinite regression of causes, anyways i'm not a theist, thats for sure.

And I think we can't really know if there's really a necessity for a first cause, because its not something we can really confirm so I might be agnostic on that sense, since agnostic its a position about "you think that it can be known?"

But I still find it very hard to believe that the universe (or the quantum fluctuations that might have caused the big bang, or whatever you want it to be your first cause) be an uncaused cause, unless it is something different from everything we know (maybe this is argument from incredulity, but to me it really wouldn't make any sense to have a natural uncaused first cause while everything else has a cause prior, including time itself, so the only way to stop the regression of causes its coming to a "special" cause)

So I think I might be a Deist?

Anyways, i'm really sorry if the text was not easy to read as English isn't my first language and its a hard subject to write about, but I would still appreciate any insights on what you guys think.
RE: Am I a Deist? Cosmological Argument seems reasonable to me.
Hey, don't worry about it. Your typing is still better than some here who DO speak English as a first language.

And from what you've described, I agree - I think "agnostic deist" is the right term for your beliefs.

Now, people can challenge those beliefs and your reasons, but I think you've got the right term.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
You can be a deist if you want. There's lots worse things to be than that.

The idea of a natural origin of the universe didn't used to make sense to me either, I just couldn't wrap my mind around the notion that Someone wasn't behind it all. Studying some cosmology cured me of that (the problem seems to be that out of a fair number of plausible origins for the universe, we can't collect evidence to tell us which is the most likely), but YMMV.

The cosmological argument itself is flawed, but I'm sure there's a thread devoted to that around here somewhere.

Anyway, welcome, and I hope you like it here. If you haven't found it already, there's a place for introduction threads.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
How do you bridge the gap, conceptually, between a first cause and a god?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
If an uncaused universe causes you trouble, why wouldn't an uncaused conscious entity with magical powers cause you that same trouble?

Remember, the cosmological argument started out as a blatant attempt at special pleading only to have an ad hoc revision added later to avoid that. That's your first indication that something is amiss.

Also, the cosmological argument takes what is a temporal principle, i.e. all effects must be preceded in time by a cause, and attempts to apply that to when time does not exist. How can you safely apply the principle of cause and effect when there literally is no space-time for a cause to precede its effect?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
B-theory of time negates the argument. Don't look at time as a linear thingy.
Why can the cause not be a natural one? The cosmological argument may make sense to some but why is a god necessary?
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Hey welcome Smile

(September 23, 2016 at 10:46 am)Rhythm Wrote: How do you bridge the gap, conceptually, between a first cause and a god?

This is the problem. "God" is a meaningless word, as is "deity". If it just means "first cause of our reality" then it's just an extremely loaded way of saying that.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I find the cosmological argument rather week. It implies that there was a reasoning being that existed in nothing and with no time to be in. how does such a being exist? Much more likely that some natural process kicked it off that we don't know about yet remember science isn't finished yet.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Yeah, the argument is just special pleading nonsense. Science doesn't know the answer; a bunch of oversimplified statements cobbled together certainly doesn't either.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Kalam Cosmological argument. JJoseph 113 4451 January 10, 2024 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Astreja
  Satanism seems fun FrustratedFool 50 2723 August 24, 2023 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Atheism seems to rise in Turkey Woah0 1 831 September 11, 2022 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  "Why is it reasonable to believe in prisons, but not in the hell?" FlatAssembler 124 7837 February 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 6987 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  *trigger warning* What if atheism's not all it seems? PhilosophicalZebra 143 27027 December 27, 2017 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Have I just demonstrated a deist god? Socratic Meth Head 11 2448 May 21, 2016 at 12:17 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  New Deist user here. Starlord 51 8795 July 17, 2015 at 10:25 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Tentatively Christian; looking for a reasonable discussion GriffinHunter 216 30983 March 26, 2015 at 6:03 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Atheists aren't always intelligent or reasonable or rational TaraJo 16 6567 December 15, 2012 at 8:42 am
Last Post: Brian37