Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 22, 2024, 2:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why be good?
RE: Why be good?
(June 4, 2015 at 3:59 pm)robvalue Wrote: Here's another one then, you're kind of fascinating Big Grin

What makes you care about your son? What makes you have empathy for him, and not for others do you think?

I assume an absolute shit ton of evolutionary biology.  I don't know if you've ever heard Joe Rogan talk about it, but he sums that up pretty well.  Something just clicks, chemicals get shifted around, and the kid becomes priority numero uno.  And that one is so powerful and has so much positive 'emotional rewards' that there's no reason to fight it.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z5YBXhvHRkQ

That's not the bit I'm talking about, but it's the one I found, it's funny, and it's pretty much in line with my thinking.
(June 4, 2015 at 1:42 pm)Losty Wrote:
(June 4, 2015 at 12:00 am)Ashground Wrote: I didn't forget but I'm a good boy and good boys don't talk about that on the internet!

Hmm...it's funny because people keep telling me I'm a good girl when I talk about sex Blush

Weird.  I get that, too.

Playing Cluedo with my mum while I was at Uni:

"You did WHAT?  With WHO?  WHERE???"
(June 4, 2015 at 1:42 pm)Losty Wrote:
(June 4, 2015 at 12:00 am)Ashground Wrote: I didn't forget but I'm a good boy and good boys don't talk about that on the internet!

Hmm...it's funny because people keep telling me I'm a good girl when I talk about sex Blush

Well, submissives play by a different set of rules... Wink
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
I play by whatever rules I'm given....unless I'm bored and feeling in need of extra attention Blush then I tend to bend the rules just to see what happens Angel
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(June 4, 2015 at 4:09 pm)Losty Wrote: Mini is bluntly honest. I don't think any of us are in a position to be judging whether or not someone is a terrible human being. I think most people here are good or as good as they can be. Even you. Maybe not good for the sake of being good, but good just the same. 

So much for the hide tags Undecided
I don't like the weird boxes instead of being able to see the code. How do I fix that?

You're right.  Calling him a terrible person was unfair.  
Wallym: That's interesting Smile

Kind of ironic when compared to me, as the idea of a little bastard who looks a bit like me crying and screaming is my ultimate nightmare and I've had the snip rather than risk it ever happening. I have absolutely zero maternal instincts (paternal, whatever). Instead I have them for animals! I guess I'm an animal in a human's body. I've often wondered.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 4, 2015 at 4:37 pm)robvalue Wrote: Wallym: That's interesting Smile

Kind of ironic when compared to me, as the idea of a little bastard who looks a bit like me crying and screaming is my ultimate nightmare and I've had the snip rather than risk it ever happening. I have absolutely zero maternal instincts (paternal, whatever). Instead I have them for animals! I guess I'm an animal in a human's body. I've often wondered.

Funny I never wanted kids. I still do not really like kids. But my kids...I love them more than words can say. I was terrified in my first pregnancy, this disgusting little alien is going to pop out from my vajayjay and everyone is going to expect me to like it, they'll think I'm a monster for not wanting it
Then they laid that disgusting little alien on my stomach and my whole life changed. Maybe it doesn't work that way for everyone, and I always advise people not to have kids if they don't want them, but it happened to me. 
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(June 4, 2015 at 4:37 pm)robvalue Wrote: Wallym: That's interesting Smile

Procreating is another one of those things that I wonder about in terms of social norms, biology, and acting in your own best interest.  You see people who clearly resent their kids, and yet they have 2 more.  I think because the idea of having kids 'being good' is just hammered into our brains.

I was on the fence.  I could have had one or not had one.  I'm glad I did.  I'm a big fan of her.  But when people say "I can't imagine my life without my kids", I don't relate.  I can imagine one. It'd be nice.  I'd have more free time, and more money.  I'd have been happy either way.  But I think people just get caught up in all these things they are supposed to be.

Hopefully, we see a movement towards people who don't want kids not having them.  That seems like it'd be a positive development. (or maybe at most one, so Losty can have had hers)
I agree, people seem to think of it like it's inevitable or something.

Everyone told me "It will be different when it's your own." Yeah, it'll be different. Because I can't get away from it! I decided very early on kids weren't for me.

But I'm very happy for everyone who has them and doesn't regret it Smile I think a lot of people do regret it. I see them walking around like zombies after their children, all the life beaten out of them. And I see people smoking all over their prams.... argh! I absolutely hate kids but I'd never in a million years hurt one. You can't just smack your kid in the head in the street, but helping them along to lung cancer is apparently OK. As is feeding them so much shit that they are dangerously obese by the age of 7.

Passive abuse. I can't stand it.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 4, 2015 at 4:09 pm)Losty Wrote:

So much for the hide tags Undecided
I don't like the weird boxes instead of being able to see the code. How do I fix that?

I could fix it for you, but I'd rather you learn. Tongue

You must use the quote and hide tags properly. You can't start a quote, hide, end quote, end hide.... that messes everything up. You must either quote, hide, end hide, endquote, OR hide, quote, end quote, end hide.
And I know too well that the new editor doesn't help. Just above the editor text box, you have a bunch of buttons, the one on the far right, looks like a sheet of paper with some lines on it, brings back the normal, old-style, editor.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Video #2 Why bad things happen to Good people. Drich 13 1887 January 6, 2020 at 11:05 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why is God fearing a good thing? Elskidor 32 11907 September 23, 2014 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Ryantology