Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 12:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stump the Christian?
RE: Stump the Christian?
Really? Just gonna slap the Kalam on the end of that post as if its legitimate or convincing at all?
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
oh sure, more Kalam. it's not like it's been done ad nauseam or anything
(June 11, 2015 at 5:23 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Everything that begins has a cause. The universe obviously began. So, the universe has a cause.

What was it?

Everything that begins has a cause. Gawd obviously began. So, gawd has a cause.

What was it?

Or, are you going to resort to special pleading.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(June 11, 2015 at 5:11 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:
(June 11, 2015 at 5:08 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: And btw, when you start that nonsense, I know you have nothing.
When you have to twist the words of others to make you're point, everyone knows you have nothing.

(June 11, 2015 at 5:08 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: What existed prior to the Big Bang, SOW?
No one knows, including you. That's why your question is nonsensical.

But science provides the answers to everything...so, a question that science cannot answer is a nonsensical question.

If science is all-powerful, can it make a rock so big that even it can't lift it?

(June 11, 2015 at 5:25 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Really?  Just gonna slap the Kalam on the end of that post as if its legitimate or convincing at all?

(June 11, 2015 at 5:26 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: oh sure, more Kalam. it's not like it's been done ad nauseam or anything

Oh, good.

You've done this before. 

That means the two of you should be able to provide really clear, concise refutations.

Please do.

(June 11, 2015 at 5:27 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:
(June 11, 2015 at 5:23 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Everything that begins has a cause. The universe obviously began. So, the universe has a cause.

What was it?

Everything that begins has a cause. Gawd obviously began. So, gawd has a cause.

What was it?

Or, are you going to resort to special pleading.

Obviously. 

But one question: What is your evidence for your claim that God began?
(June 11, 2015 at 5:28 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(June 11, 2015 at 5:11 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote: When you have to twist the words of others to make you're point, everyone knows you have nothing.

No one knows, including you. That's why your question is nonsensical.

But science provides the answers to everything...so, a question that science cannot answer is a nonsensical question.

If science is all-powerful, can it make a rock so big that even it can't lift it?

[Image: strawmanarmy.jpg]
(June 11, 2015 at 5:28 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: But one question: What is your evidence for your claim that God began?

What is your evidence the universe did?
(June 11, 2015 at 5:28 pm)Randy Carson Wrote:
(June 11, 2015 at 5:26 pm)Neimenovic Wrote: oh sure, more Kalam. it's not like it's been done ad nauseam or anything

Oh, good.

You've done this before. 

That means the two of you should be able to provide really clear, concise refutations.

Please do.

composition fallacy, fallacy of equivocation and general idiocy, for starters

a quick search on the forums alone would've told you that and much more.
(June 11, 2015 at 5:23 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: I'm personally okay with evolution. I think God used it to get us to where we are today.

Oh, so once in a blue moon you can recognize a fact when it slaps you in the face; you just decided to ruin it at the end there.

Quote:I'm just wondering why anything at all exists if there was a "time" in which nothing at all existed except a "singularity" (whatever that is).

Why did the singularity change from being a singularity to being the universe?

When an object moves, we assume a cause of the motion, don't we?

Everything that begins has a cause. The universe obviously began. So, the universe has a cause.

What was it?

If I answer "we don't know yet," which is the truthful response that everyone should be making, are you just going to go "aha!" and say therefore god?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(June 11, 2015 at 5:28 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: But science provides the answers to everything...so, a question that science cannot answer is a nonsensical question.

Science is a set of very successful methods for determining the truth about the real world. Scientists have made great progress using the scientific method both in understanding and technology. But scientists have not answered all questions and there are questions they will never answer. And it is better to know that you do not have an answer than to pretend that you do.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(June 11, 2015 at 5:36 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:
(June 11, 2015 at 5:28 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: But one question: What is your evidence for your claim that God began?

What is your evidence the universe did?

Is the universe infinite?

What is a singularity?

Was all matter compressed into a space smaller than the size of a sub-atomic particle?

What caused it to change?

(June 11, 2015 at 5:40 pm)Neimenovic Wrote:
(June 11, 2015 at 5:28 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Oh, good.

You've done this before. 

Please do.

composition fallacy, fallacy of equivocation and general idiocy, for starters

a quick search on the forums alone would've told you that and much more.

Oh, general idiocy.

Yeah, I overlooked that. Never mind.  Tongue

(June 11, 2015 at 5:57 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(June 11, 2015 at 5:28 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: But science provides the answers to everything...so, a question that science cannot answer is a nonsensical question.

Science is a set of very successful methods for determining the truth about the real world.  Scientists have made great progress using the scientific method both in understanding and technology.  But scientists have not answered all questions and there are questions they will never answer.  And it is better to know that you do not have an answer than to pretend that you do.

And it is your contention that Christians are pretending to have answers that they do not really have. 

Is it possible that they have a few to those questions that science will never answer?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 90925 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7570 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6388 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej