Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 28, 2024, 10:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best of all possible worlds offense
RE: Best of all possible worlds offense
Not a pride in myself per say. Proud of the products I make. Proud from the outside looking in. I am proud of my two sons more often than not. This isn't wrong. It is the pride that can turn into conceit that is wrong. The I'm better than you pride. The one that leads to closed mindedness and leads us astray from the path
(June 26, 2015 at 8:08 am)popsthebuilder Wrote: True from necessity. Do not think the Lord is inherently evil though.

So you believe that god has an equal out there, who is just as evil as god is good?
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
It's handy when you get to reinterpret your own rules to suit yourself, isn't it?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
No. To be clear I think that the negative must be weaker than the positive for the universe still expands, and we still have opportunity. It will take chaos and evil to end all. It can happen though. Evil clings to chaos and righteous in attempts to achieve its goal which I will not attempt to understand.

Unfortunately modern day sensical clear honest

interpretation is needed for common functionality. Something I exhibit very poorly
You think the expansion of the Universe is fuelled by some undefined positive quality being stronger than an equally undefined negative one?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
When he says higher power, does he mean like ^3?
(June 26, 2015 at 9:35 am)popsthebuilder Wrote: No. To be clear I think that the negative must be weaker than the positive for the universe still expands, and we still have opportunity. It will take chaos and evil to end all. It can happen though. Evil clings to chaos and righteous in attempts to achieve its goal which I will not attempt to understand.

That's the premise of 99% of sci-fi, horror, and fantasy literature.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(June 26, 2015 at 10:09 am)Neimenovic Wrote: When he says higher power, does he mean like ^3?

By his definition that would make the devil ^-2.9
(June 26, 2015 at 8:08 am)popsthebuilder Wrote: True from necessity. Do not think the Lord is inherently evil though.

Why should we believe he's good?
Simply because we are here. He gives us opportunity, life, passion, even reason. To deny that every good thing that is is solely due to him/ it/ creation and creator in the simplest of terms does not make sense. What is the point if not to achieve good, if not to live through passion of life itself by being in tune to the simplest of truths? Is it not the greatest and most pure? This is not denial of undeniable negatives, or the waste of energy. They are but different and lesser and not wholly.

Really don't mean to sound cryptic or crazy. Just how it comes out.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Three in five British adults say miracles are possible zebo-the-fat 15 2098 September 30, 2018 at 2:32 pm
Last Post: Pat Mustard
  Is it possible to avoid masterbation or nocturnal emission if you aren't married ? The Wise Joker 63 10004 January 31, 2017 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Is it possible for someone to take away the judgement from God? verbral 31 4512 November 12, 2016 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us..." should we be grateful? Whateverist 325 70441 July 21, 2015 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Perfect, Best of Possible, or Better than Nothing: Which criterion? Hatshepsut 35 7059 May 19, 2015 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Is it possible to be a gay Christian? Dystopia 84 8244 July 30, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Raven
  Is it possible to be "born again" without faith? naturestubbs1 11 3946 July 9, 2014 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Sanal Edamaruku is facing possible arrest in India for debunking a Jesus water drippi Ziploc Surprise 14 8974 April 13, 2012 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: genkaus
Question Is it possible there are some parodists among the authors in Answers in Genesis? Indian Chimpanzee 5 1880 October 9, 2011 at 7:01 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla