Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 4:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disproving The Resurrection By The Maximal Facts Approach
RE: Disproving The Resurrection By The Maximal Facts Approach
Therefor the magic trump card wins again.

Randy, you must realise therefore that it's pretty pointless to try and engage in conversation and honest debate if all you do when confronted with a contradiction is invoke magic, right? If x and y contradict each other, invoke magic and the contradiction resolves.

Not very fun, or very convincing.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
Pan - magic is real. But only in their religion. Every other religion's magic is fake or of the devil to trick people into believing something wrong. How convenient.
**Crickets** -- God
(June 30, 2015 at 6:56 pm)tonechaser77 Wrote: Pan - magic is real. But only in their religion. Every other religion's magic is fake or of the devil to trick people into believing something wrong. How convenient.

Yeah well my magic is bigger than your magic so Nee naw.

In all seriousness though this is why nobody takes it seriously. "But if you just imagine there is no problem then guess what? There is no problem! It's like, a revelation!"

*yawn*
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(June 30, 2015 at 6:56 pm)tonechaser77 Wrote: Pan - magic is real. But only in their religion. Every other religion's magic is fake or of the devil to trick people into believing something wrong. How convenient.

Not true at all, my wife is from Haiti where the main religion is voodoo (i've been there also), you'd be a fool to think it's fake. Also did not Pharaohs magicians preform the same miracles Moses did?
(June 28, 2015 at 1:08 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(June 28, 2015 at 1:03 am)Huggy74 Wrote: You do realize that Jesus rose on the morning of the third day, so that falls well within your 24-72 hour period....

If he did, then Jesus was a lousy prophet, since he told his disciples that he would rise 'after three days'.  He goes even farther in Matthew 12:40, in which he says he will be 'three days and three nights in the belly of the earth'.

Ah, I see where your misunderstanding occurs. The expression "three days and "three nights" is an idiomatic expression...kinda like saying "it's raining cats and dogs". Jimmy Akin writes:

Quote:"The expression “three days and three nights” is simply a slightly hyperbolic way of referring to “three days.” As Protestant Bible scholar R. T. France notes:

” Three days and three nights was a Jewish idiom to a period covering only two nights (see myJesus and the Old Testament, p. 81, n. 2)” (Matthew, p. 213).

Similarly, D. A. Carson, regarded as one of the deans of conservative Protestant Bible exegesis, notes:

“In rabbinical thought a day and a night make an onah, and a part of an onah, is as the whole (cf. Strach and Billerbeck: Kommentar zum Neuen Testament aus Talmud und Midrasch, 1:649, for references; cf. further 1 Sam 30:12-13, 2 Chron 10:5, 12, Esth 4:16, 5:1). Thus according to Jewish tradition, ‘three days and three nights’ need mean no more than ‘three days’ or the combination of any part of three separate days” (Expositor’s Bible Commentary, vol. 8, p. 296).

The fact that this is the mode of speech being used is confirmed in the gospels by several facts."

You can read those facts here.
Has voodoo been tested by science? What have those tests shown? I would like to see the results and if they are any more probable then chance.
**Crickets** -- God
(June 30, 2015 at 5:01 am)Neimenovic Wrote: 1+1+1=/=1

Got it?

Is that supposed to be an argument against the Trinity?

If so, you know the thread where we can discuss it more civilly. [Image: ani_yup.gif]
(June 30, 2015 at 5:23 am)Huggy74 Wrote:
(June 30, 2015 at 5:05 am)abaris Wrote: I said reflect, not bible thump. Reflect, as in using ones own head.

Just showing  you have no clue what you're talking about biblically.

Pro-tip, if you don't want to hear bible based answers, don't enter a thread discussing bible based events.

[Image: thumbsup.gif]
(June 30, 2015 at 7:05 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:

Not true at all, my wife is from Haiti where the main religion is voodoo (i've been there also), you'd be a fool to think it's fake. Also did not Pharaohs magicians preform the same miracles Moses did?

Actually, the main religion in Haiti is Christianity (96%), not vodou (and yes, you spelled it wrong).  But I don't think you're sincere when you say vodou is not 'fake'.  You mean to say you believe in Bondye and the loa?  Come on.

Of COURSE you accept the magic that the pharaonic magicians performed - it's from YOUR book.  But do you give the same credence to Zeus' shape-shifting ability or to Thor's hammer?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(June 30, 2015 at 8:50 am)robvalue Wrote: 1. Something being written in a book doesn't make it true
2. Lots of people saying that a book contains the truth doesn't make it true
3. Science bitches
4. Go learn something

rob (and rob only, please)-

What have you learned from reading a book written by a Christian?

You expect us to know what science has to say? Fair enough. We read books by good scientists.
You expect us to know what atheists believe? Fair enough. We read Hitchens, Dawkins, Ehrman and others.

Can you name even two books that you have read that were written by Christians to explain basic Christianity? If so, great?

What are the titles of those books?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 6902 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  In what way is the Resurrection the best explanation? GrandizerII 159 16215 November 25, 2019 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Travis Walton versus The Resurrection. Jehanne 61 16057 November 29, 2017 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why do Christians believe in the Resurrection of Jesus but not alien abductions? Jehanne 72 12122 June 27, 2016 at 1:54 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  We can be certain of NO resurrection - A Response Randy Carson 136 38481 October 2, 2015 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Proving The Resurrection By the Minimal Facts Approach Randy Carson 1298 183363 July 26, 2015 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Randy Carson
  Obama and the simulated resurrection professor 116 18545 April 25, 2015 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  MERGED: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1) & (Part 2) His_Majesty 1617 336740 January 12, 2015 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part Ad Neuseum) YahwehIsTheWay 32 7362 December 11, 2014 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part Deux) YahwehIsTheWay 71 16484 December 2, 2014 at 10:33 am
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay