Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 12:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is reality?
What is reality?
I have just been pondering about reality and what is real and can we ever truly know what reality is? And are we controlled or are we controlling the world? And if we're controlled, then who or what is controlling the controller? Or is there even such a thing as control?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful" - Edward Gibbon (Offen misattributed to Lucius Annaeus Seneca or Seneca the Younger) (Thanks to apophenia for the correction)
'I am driven by two main philosophies:
Know more about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you' - Neil deGrasse Tyson
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
RE: What is reality?
Everything that we know comes to us by means of our senses and personal experience. Anything beyond that is pure speculation.
Well, there is contextual reality, and absolute reality. Contextual reality would be something like "All the things I see and feel are consistent with the idea that there's a physical universe."

Absolute reality is unknowable, because we only have the senses upon which to draw inferences about it, and the information collected by the senses is only knowably contextual.
As best as I can tell, reality is a fiction created by our brain in response to external stimuli.
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Reality is a fact which is seen by us after a moment. We don,t care of it because it is not with us.
It's a combination of stuff and conscious awareness that experiences the stuff. You need something to experience and someone to experience it. The universe provides the stuff and the sentient organic being kind of things made from the stuff you have there. You will need time and space as well as this all needs to move around take on form.

Come all ye faithful joyful and triumphant.
'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.' - Phillip K. Dick

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(February 8, 2014 at 6:37 pm)Sword of Christ Wrote: It's a combination of stuff and conscious awareness that experiences the stuff. You need something to experience and someone to experience it. The universe provides the stuff and the sentient organic being kind of things made from the stuff you have there.

So things are only real if there is something around to experience it according to you.

Quote: You will need time and space as well as this all needs to move around take on form.

So by this definition and given that god existed outside of time and space according to some, god cannot be real!

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(February 9, 2014 at 5:04 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.' - Phillip K. Dick

Boru

That's a pretty good one.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are philosophers jealous lovers about reality? vulcanlogician 4 520 February 10, 2022 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Disagreeable
  A Moral Reality Acrobat 29 3242 September 12, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Actual Infinity in Reality? SteveII 478 65185 March 6, 2018 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions? Azu 19 6915 June 13, 2017 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Does perfection in reality never contain any flaws ? The Wise Joker 55 9631 February 7, 2017 at 8:56 am
Last Post: Sal
Exclamation Proof For The Materialization Of Dream Objects Into Reality A Lucid Dreaming Atheist 15 3913 August 19, 2015 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Playing Reality like a Video Game? sswhateverlove 33 6625 September 15, 2014 at 8:30 am
Last Post: sswhateverlove
  Preception and reality BrokenQuill92 13 2944 March 11, 2014 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: max-greece
Question Can we see reality as it is? FractalEternalWheel 19 6974 January 3, 2014 at 1:21 am
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Is reality like a computer? Nightfoot92 32 8897 September 24, 2013 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: Brian37