Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures)
RE: The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures)
(October 20, 2016 at 11:08 am)Shell B Wrote: Block away.

I wanted to like you. I don't think I can. Blocked then.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
(October 20, 2016 at 6:01 am)pocaracas Wrote:
(October 20, 2016 at 4:25 am)robvalue Wrote: Anyhow, I've been campaigning to fix what I perceive as holes in the rules that allow for harassment and breaches of privacy. I've been blocked, citing "free speech" as the reason. I cannot stomach this. Free speech should not extend to invading privacy and protecting harassment. I don't feel I've been properly listened to, quite honestly. But I tried my absolute best.

Isn't there already a rule against sharing private info from other users without their consent?

""
Doxing is not allowed. We consider doxing to be the act of posting private or personally identifiable information about any person, whether they are a member of these forums or not.

The punishment for violating this rule will be a permanent ban.
""

hmm... that consent detail is absent there... bah... as it is, it's more restrictive.

Harassment should be covered under the Threats, Trolling and/or Flaming rules. If those rules are being applied fairly... well, that's another issue... given the subjective nature of what "threats, trolling and flaming" are. The rules try to specify what is officially considered any of those behaviors, but some leeway should be given to mods when they see a constant skirting of some or all those rules by the same user.
Whatever happened to that nuke option? You could implement it so that staff require some 8 or 10 points to apply it to someone, just to make sure that most mods and admins are on-board with it.

People who feel harassed in some way should first and foremost, put the harasser on ignore, thus severing any connection between the two. And, of course, report it.
The more reports for crappy attitude from a particular member, the more pressure there is to update the rules to dispose of said member and prevent similar noxious people from disturbing the forum. I know there's a rule against reporting stuff that's not really against the rules... but in some cases, they're justified and should lead the staff to think about the issue.

Clearly, even though two admins kudosed this, the rules you are talking about do not cover whatever Rob thinks they should cover. But since they did kudos it I supposed I'm going to feel really awkward handing out verbals to anyone who abuses the report system ever again.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
Yeah, I'm going to take a break again. I don't know when I'll be back. Like I said, I don't need this kind of drama in my life. Things are bad enough for me right now. I'm taking the initiative to end it before others pile it up on me.
I don't believe you. Get over it.
The problem is, rob suggested some changes and we discussed them, agreeing on some things and disagreeing on others. However for whatever reason he didn't create an official vote thread for the new rule. I find it very odd that he then complains about the fact that he's been "blocked" when as far as I am aware, he never created an official vote for the new rule that the staff actually agreed on.

I guess now we will write the new rule and vote on it ourselves.
(October 20, 2016 at 11:13 am)Losty Wrote: Clearly, even though two admins kudosed this, the rules you are talking about do not cover whatever Rob thinks they should cover. But since they did kudos it I supposed I'm going to feel really awkward handing out verbals to anyone who abuses the report system ever again.
We were talking about this recently. Oftentimes, people kudos for part but not all the post. Maybe that's the case? Kudos aren't staff related either, so don't feel weird. Smile
(October 20, 2016 at 11:16 am)Jesster Wrote: Yeah, I'm going to take a break again. I don't know when I'll be back. Like I said, I don't need this kind of drama in my life. Things are bad enough for me right now. I'm taking the initiative to end it before others pile it up on me.

Keep in touch <3

Forum drama happens. It can and will be stressful for some people sometimes. Everyone has different opinions on how things should run. Emotions get high when things like privacy, harassment, and rape are thrown into the mix.

I'll say this for whatever it's worth and for whoever wanted to know. While there are obviously disagreements sometimes I think everyone on staff genuinely cares about this community and what is best for the forum as a whole. The disagreement is generally a good thing because otherwise there would never be change and change is important sometimes. If anyone feels the forum is being run wrong I for one welcome your complaints on it. I don't even mind if you say we are all shite at our jobs. I do think it should be done in a different thread though as that's not what this one is really supposed to be here for.
It's good for us to know what bothers whom and why. It doesn't mean we will reset the rules just to please you but we are paying attention.

I'm just babbling on. I only slept for like 20 minutes last night. I'm pretty sure I made a point or two in there.

Things are going to be ok on AF. Just because we don't change the rules when members demand it doesn't mean we don't care. I think a lot of people really don't understand what they're asking for. I don't mean Rob, I think he had some great ideas and it's a shame he didn't feel he could compromise on them but I understand his position. Sigh. I think it would be good for everyone with an opinion on this to take a really deep breath and maybe even try to put it out of your mind for a day or two. Keep reminding yourself that there isn't necessarily a right or wrong between two disagreeing sides.

0/10

(October 20, 2016 at 11:13 am)Losty Wrote: Clearly, even though two admins kudosed this, the rules you are talking about do not cover whatever Rob thinks they should cover. But since they did kudos it I supposed I'm going to feel really awkward handing out verbals to anyone who abuses the report system ever again.

Maybe they didn't agree with that little bit?
I don't know... but I do think there's a distinction between abusing the report system, and reporting noxious behavior from some people... even if it's not going against any presently employed rule.
Of course, what one person thinks is noxious behavior may not coincide with the mod majority, and it may feel, to the mods, that the person is abusing the system... reporting something that isn't against the rules.

But I think it's important to tell everyone they shouldn't be afraid of reporting things like that.
I see the "abuse of the report system" as applied to an excessive usage of the report system, by the same person, after being told how the sort of things being reported are not deemed worthy to be acted upon. There's to be some dialogue.

If the same behavior results in the same sort of reports from different people, then you should know that the behavior is, at least, uncomfortable to some people. Perhaps some consideration should be given, instead of a blanket dismissal due to not being contemplated in the rules.

That's my opinion on the matter. Take it or leave it.
Is the issue somehow related to report system abuse? Just trying to get caught up. 

Do I need to select "report" to get a response? hehehehehehehe

Sorry. I have a hard time taking drama on the internet seriously. For me it tends to just become cannon fodder.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 20, 2016 at 11:20 am)Shell B Wrote:
We were talking about this recently. Oftentimes, people kudos for part but not all the post. Maybe that's the case? Kudos aren't staff related either, so don't feel weird. Smile

I know but I can already see it now. "Well the admins kudosed it so it must be allowed now."  
We see some weird reports, I'm sure you know. I can't remember that exact wording but this one about disparaging young people or something. To be honest I'm not sure why disaparaging young people isn't already against the rules. Tongue

0/10

(October 20, 2016 at 11:31 am)pocaracas Wrote:

Maybe they didn't agree with that little bit?
I don't know... but I do think there's a distinction between abusing the report system, and reporting noxious behavior from some people... even if it's not going against any presently employed rule.
Of course, what one person thinks is noxious behavior may not coincide with the mod majority, and it may feel, to the mods, that the person is abusing the system... reporting something that isn't against the rules.

But I think it's important to tell everyone they shouldn't be afraid of reporting things like that.
I see the "abuse of the report system" as applied to an excessive usage of the report system, by the same person, after being told how the sort of things being reported are not deemed worthy to be acted upon. There's to be some dialogue.

If the same behavior results in the same sort of reports from different people, then you should know that the behavior is, at least, uncomfortable to some people. Perhaps some consideration should be given, instead of a blanket dismissal due to not being contemplated in the rules.

That's my opinion on the matter. Take it or leave it.

We have this cool thing where you can post a thread that only staff can see. We don't really need to get 100 reports every time someone says something horrible.

0/10

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Member Commentary on announcements and staff logs thread The Valkyrie 139 10171 July 6, 2022 at 3:18 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Link us to your intro thread, first post and/or first thread Whateverist 35 4144 October 21, 2018 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  [split] The Newly Departed thread: announcements (departures) Edwardo Piet 93 10232 December 12, 2016 at 12:51 am
Last Post: Iroscato
  Please Explain to a Newly Inducted "Old Fart" thesummerqueen 44 13419 November 1, 2012 at 3:25 pm
Last Post: Cinjin