Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 10:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Testament arguments
RE: New Testament arguments
Ah Huggy, finding the clumsiest and most tenuous ways to imply you can't be moral without a sky daddy.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(March 23, 2015 at 7:24 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Ah Huggy, finding the clumsiest and most tenuous ways to imply you can't be moral without a sky daddy.

First of all define what sets the standard of morality.

Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the LORD pondereth the hearts. - Proverbs 21:2
Certainly not some barbaric old book supposedly inspired by a barbaric old god.
- Thomas Jefferson
I'll ask again, what sets the standard for YOUR morality?
(March 23, 2015 at 7:18 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Not to say you don't have morals, you were just privileged to be brought up in a society governed by law and order. If for some reason an apocalypse happened and it's everyman for himself, do you hold onto what you deem moral? After all, when it comes to survival, who's to say what's moral? Is it immoral for a lion to kill a gazelle? why then would you consider it immoral to kill to ensure your own survival?

isn't that just survival of the fittest?

If you believe we evolved from the animals, then it was always intended for the weak to be rooted out.

Which means if you think you'll remain moral during an apocalypse, then you'll be among it's first victims.

Law and order has betrayed me several times over. Even so, I still hold onto my morals because I would rather do what is right and set a good example for my children, despite the wrong that was done to me.

As for whether or not I would remain I would remain moral - if you are asking whether or not I would kill someone for my own survival, I can't honestly answer that. I have never killed anyone and don't know what that feels like.

I suppose if it meant shoving one of my children out of harms way and bearing the brunt of that harm, possibly getting killed in the process, then I don't believe I would be compromising my morals because I would be trying to protect my child. And I would do whatever was necessary achieve that.

All in all, it depends on the scenario. If my children were somewhere safe and all I had to do was worry about myself, I probably would die. Killing just doesn't seem to be an option.

I there is an apocalypse, I hope it's a zombie one. I have a membership to Sam's club. That would be the first place I'd run. 1 - it's a concrete building. 2 - they have survival gear, water and rations and 3 - you can't get in without a membership.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(March 23, 2015 at 7:43 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: I'll ask again, what sets the standard for YOUR morality?

Empathy, logic, basic human decency.
- Thomas Jefferson
(March 23, 2015 at 7:47 pm)Judi Lynn Wrote: Law and order has betrayed me several times over. Even so, I still hold onto my morals because I would rather do what is right and set a good example for my children, despite the wrong that was done to me.

As for whether or not I would remain I would remain moral - if you are asking whether or not I would kill someone for my own survival, I can't honestly answer that. I have never killed anyone and don't know what that feels like.

I suppose if it meant shoving one of my children out of harms way and bearing the brunt of that harm, possibly getting killed in the process, then I don't believe I would be compromising my morals because I would be trying to protect my child. And I would do whatever was necessary achieve that.

All in all, it depends on the scenario. If my children were somewhere safe and all I had to do was worry about myself, I probably would die. Killing just doesn't seem to be an option.

I there is an apocalypse, I hope it's a zombie one. I have a membership to Sam's club. That would be the first place I'd run. 1 - it's a concrete building. 2 - they have survival gear, water and rations and 3 - you can't get in without a membership.
Fair enough.
Everything up to and including personal beliefs, interactions within a social contract and 'society' per se, the law, friends, family.

We're not born with a set of morals, we learn them, and they are almost always informed by the context we live in. A hypothetical Christian town in western Europe 1000 years ago would have displayed vastly different behaviour concerning decisions on morality than the same town today, even taking the % of christians within that town as a given. That's not necessarily good or bad, it's just the context of the moment. Retrospective analysis can certainly bring light to a situation but it doesn't always enable us to understand it. Certain societal customs that existed then were different of those that exist today, and any analysis can often be clouded by today's perception of those actions. Again, doesn't make those actions right, it's just how it is.

You mentioned the milligram experiment. Do you think the results would be different between religious and non-religious demographics?
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(March 23, 2015 at 7:48 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(March 23, 2015 at 7:43 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: I'll ask again, what sets the standard for YOUR morality?

Empathy, logic, basic human decency.

Are you saying that soldiers that fought during world war 2 for example, were immoral? Because they would go against YOUR definition of being moral.
No idea how you figure that, Huggy, but expecting you to be able to accurately analyze anything at all is a stretch I suppose.

And to answer your question: no, you unbelievably black-hole-caliber-density motherfucker.
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are the best arguments against Christian Science? FlatAssembler 8 536 September 17, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8824 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Arguments Against Thomistic philosophy FireFromHeaven 155 25586 January 28, 2018 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Favorite arguments against Christianity? newthoughts 0 698 December 6, 2016 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: newthoughts
  Old Testament Prophecy Proof of Jesus Nihilist Virus 45 6591 August 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 37269 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Scientism & Philosophical Arguments SteveII 91 18782 December 18, 2015 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
Question Why make stupid unsustainable arguments? Aractus 221 41728 December 14, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Joods
  Richard Dawkins and the God of the Old Testament Randy Carson 69 16938 October 8, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: orangedude
  The Historical Reliability of the New Testament Randy Carson 706 110724 June 9, 2015 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb