Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are the best arguments against Christian Science?
What are the best arguments against Christian Science?
Christian Scientists believe that diseases are not caused by a physical abnormality, but by a mental error. In other words, that all diseases are psychosomatic. So they can be corrected by prayer alone. What do you think are the best arguments against that belief?
I found two arguments that sound good to me:
1) The poison argument. "Suppose somebody drinks a glass of water that contains a poison, but nobody knows that it is poisonous. If Christian Science is right, then that poison could not kill that person. If medical science is right, then it can kill that person. And it is obvious which is true."
2) The jellyfish argument. Jellyfish are animals without a brain, and therefore without a mind. If all diseases are psychosomatic, they could not get diseases such as cancer. But they do get them.
Do you know some more?
RE: What are the best arguments against Christian Science?
(September 17, 2023 at 9:23 am)FlatAssembler Wrote: Christian Scientists believe that diseases are not caused by a physical abnormality, but by a mental error. In other words, that all diseases are psychosomatic. So they can be corrected by prayer alone. What do you think are the best arguments against that belief?

I think the Christian Scientists are on to something.   Twelve years ago I had stage III inflammatory breast cancer with a prognosis of only a 25-40 percent chance of living another five years.  My mother began to  pray the rosary times without number, and soon after my chemo and mastectomy the cancer went away!
never mind, it's early and I've not had my coffee
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 17, 2023 at 9:33 am)LinuxGal Wrote:
(September 17, 2023 at 9:23 am)FlatAssembler Wrote: Christian Scientists believe that diseases are not caused by a physical abnormality, but by a mental error. In other words, that all diseases are psychosomatic. So they can be corrected by prayer alone. What do you think are the best arguments against that belief?

I think the Christian Scientists are on to something.   Twelve years ago I had stage III inflammatory breast cancer with a prognosis of only a 25-40 percent chance of living another five years.  My mother began to  pray the rosary times without number, and soon after my chemo and mastectomy the cancer went away!

I am sorry about that.
(September 17, 2023 at 10:17 am)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(September 17, 2023 at 9:33 am)LinuxGal Wrote: I think the Christian Scientists are on to something.   Twelve years ago I had stage III inflammatory breast cancer with a prognosis of only a 25-40 percent chance of living another five years.  My mother began to  pray the rosary times without number, and soon after my chemo and mastectomy the cancer went away!

I am sorry about that.

If you're gonna get cancer the 21st Century is a better time to get it. In the 1990s or earlier I woulda been dead meat.
1) The poison argument. "Suppose somebody drinks a glass of water that contains a poison, but nobody knows that it is poisonous. If Christian Science is right, then that poison could not kill that person. If medical science is right, then it can kill that person. And it is obvious which is true."
2) The jellyfish argument. Jellyfish are animals without a brain, and therefore without a mind. If all diseases are psychosomatic, they could not get diseases such as cancer. But they do get them.
Do you know some more?

[Image: fe032e7a30e6084a9464b124b03a63d4.jpg]
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
I think a plausible case could be made against Christian Science by beating the living daylights out of a Christian Scientist. Since they believe that the material world is purely illusory, they wouldn’t be able to file an assault charge against me. Their broken teeth and severe contusions and blood loss didn’t really happen.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 17, 2023 at 10:25 am)Angrboda Wrote:
Do you know some more?

[Image: fe032e7a30e6084a9464b124b03a63d4.jpg]

Amazing a robot evaluates and select response options based on reading these options writing out in English and projected onto inputs of its optical sensors, like there was some literate gremlin operating via a VR headset.
Do you know some more?

Require all Christian scientists to rely purely on mental correctness and the question of whether christIan scenarists are right would become irrelevant in a couple of generations.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  America's "best" Christian. Brian37 1 183 February 16, 2024 at 12:48 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89326 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will' zebo-the-fat 19 2112 July 23, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Who Do You Think Is The Best Christian Of Our Times? BrianSoddingBoru4 14 1953 January 22, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Drich
  Arguments Against Thomistic philosophy FireFromHeaven 155 24900 January 28, 2018 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Favorite arguments against Christianity? newthoughts 0 690 December 6, 2016 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: newthoughts
  Scientism & Philosophical Arguments SteveII 91 18493 December 18, 2015 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Esquilax
Question Why make stupid unsustainable arguments? Aractus 221 40536 December 14, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Joods
  New Testament arguments urlawyer 185 21982 March 24, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Worst Arguments For Christianity Pizza 115 15569 January 26, 2015 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Angrboda