Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 7:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
The Atheist Obsession with Insulting Christians
RE: The Atheist Obsession with Insulting Christians
(September 18, 2015 at 3:15 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: Is it bad that the first thing I noticed was you need to change the roll of paper towel? 

I first saw the eyes. A little creepy Rob, only one red. Then the empty dog dish. Then wondered why one hand wasn't glowing!
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 18, 2015 at 3:25 pm)lkingpinl Wrote:
(September 18, 2015 at 3:17 pm)robvalue Wrote: Haha, thanks Big Grin That is a photo from a few years ago now. I was semi-feral, I've been trained more since then. But I still often wear odd socks. Some people seriously cannot handle the concept. They point it out like it's the same as having a poker stuck through my eye.

I'm the type of person that doesn't embarrass easy, in fact I tend to wear odd things just to make other around me embarrassed.  I have little shame.  I was once camping with the family and a large group of our friends and each morning we made a big group breakfast.  I came out of our tent wearing my wife's sports bra, boxer shorts and knee high striped socks with sandals.  I will see if I can dig up the pic.
Yes, pics please!! My husband is silly like that.

Btw, I would like to echo everyone who appreciates the people that come here and participate as people, not ONLY as (insert belief or lack thereof).
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
(September 18, 2015 at 2:09 pm)abaris Wrote:
(September 18, 2015 at 2:06 pm)lkingpinl Wrote: Yep.  Cubicle by the window.

Totally and entirely off topic - but that's mine. At least from the outside.

Back in the Department, I was moved around several times over the years. This, viewed from the rear of the building and courtesy of Google Maps Street View, was where I spent most of my tenure:

[Image: Walsall%20Pension%20Centre%201.jpg]

Note that the fire escape was right behind me - I was no mug. I also 'donated' my desk phone to someone else, out of sheer kindness but mostly so the managers couldn't be in my ear all the damn time.

Here's a view of my window from the main entrance:

[Image: Walsall%20Pension%20Centre%202.jpg]

The building is made up of three structures: the two primary offices shown left and right, connected by the long, low one in the centre containing briefing rooms, the post room and a link corridor. Note the fire escape of the leftmost offices, particularly how it requires you to climb down to the link building roof, over the post room - the most likely target for a bomb (it is a Government building) then cross the length of it to the main stairwell. And we did have many practice bomb drills.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
So where is the OP? Or is this another shit and run thread?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(September 18, 2015 at 4:55 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Or is this another shit and run thread?

He can't copy paste here, since this isn't something apologists cover. So, I guess, shit and run is on the menu.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(September 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(September 18, 2015 at 12:45 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Tell me you didn't just say "irregardless", kingpin. Please.

Oh, you share one of my favorite bugaboos.  Irregardless instead of regardless.

I had this explained to me.  In African cultures/languages negatives don't function as a toggle.  More negatives just add emphasis.  It isn't a failure in logic, just a change of usage.

So antidisirregardless would mean absolutely without regard to .. to the nth degree.

Unlike here where we take the ir- as erasing the -less.
(September 18, 2015 at 3:15 pm)lkingpinl Wrote:
(September 18, 2015 at 3:08 pm)robvalue Wrote: Great! I'm glad to hear it Smile

Good to see what you look like. My avatar is me trying to shave. I am generally fairly introverted but this forum has brought me out of myself.

Once I'm cleaned up and ready to go, I look more like this:

OMG I think my wife has me trained.  Is it bad that the first thing I noticed was you need to change the roll of paper towel?  

Btw, I love the mismatch socks.  My kids started doing that this past year and I loved it.  My wife can't stand it (she's a tad OCD), but hey as long as they have a sock on each foot, it's all good.  Smile

The day I will stop wearing mismatched socks is the day I actually find matched socks in my drawer.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(September 18, 2015 at 5:04 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote:
(September 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Oh, you share one of my favorite bugaboos.  Irregardless instead of regardless.

I had this explained to me.  In African cultures/languages negatives don't function as a toggle.  More negatives just add emphasis.  It isn't a failure in logic, just a change of usage.

So antidisirregardless would mean absolutely without regard to .. to the nth degree.

Yes, but this is English and it's usually a white educated person's mistake so it isn't a carry over from another language, like not nowhow, noway.   And bingo, the perpetrator (sorry Kingy it's not a unforgivable sin just a venial one) here is white and educated. Besides, how can something be even more regardless?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
First off, if some think atheists only blaspheme Christianity, you'd be wrong. I personally have gone after all sorts of lables, including atheists depending on topic.

Secondly, when you use the words obssed, or call an atheist angry, so what? Yes I do get angry at all religions when their fans pick up books to justify land grabs, violence, sexism, racism, xenophobia, homophobia. And use it in threats of war calling it self defense, but they all do it.

And it is also used to deny evolution and climate change. And they also falsely, when they can't logically make an arrangement debunking science all of them suddenly resort to claiming to be patent holders who soley created science.

What should offend you isn't the skepticism or anger to violence or bad logic. What should offend you are those justifying those things.

Now, do not make a stupid claim that by expressing that anger, that makes me just as bad. There is a huge difference between rights, and the credibility of the logic one uses to justify acting on the position they hold

Most atheists I would call sane have no desire to stick believers of any religion into ovens.

Civility isn't in being free from getting offended, civility is insisting on non violence no matter who says what. The right to make any claim you want does not obligate others to blinly value that claim.
(September 18, 2015 at 5:09 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(September 18, 2015 at 5:04 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote: I had this explained to me.  In African cultures/languages negatives don't function as a toggle.  More negatives just add emphasis.  It isn't a failure in logic, just a change of usage.

Yes, but this is English and it's usually a white educated person's mistake so it isn't a carry over from another language, like not nowhow, noway.   And bingo, the perpetrator (sorry Kingy it's not a unforgivable sin just a venial one) here is white and educated. Besides, how can something me even more regardless?

Actually this was explained to me by a black man brought in by my district to help white teachers better relate to black kids.  And it wasn't explained as anything harking back to Africa itself, but to black English as a dialect.  It was in that context that I was told that multiple negatives don't operate logically, conveying emphasis instead.  

I would always cringe for anyone using "irregardless" out loud.  I understand the term was coined by Abbot and Costello in a comedy routine.

It still grates for me personally, but if I were still teaching and a black kid said it I would simply code it as emphasis.  As a math teacher, I would be no more disturbed than I am by kid's spelling.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7934 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31458 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The Obsession with Discussing the Supposed Rudeness of Atheists Whateverist 91 16295 October 1, 2015 at 3:44 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 51668 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Why Christians come to atheist forums watchamadoodle 112 24736 March 17, 2015 at 3:32 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The first Christians weren't Bible Christians Phatt Matt s 60 15936 March 26, 2014 at 10:26 am
Last Post: rightcoaster
  Why do christians make up lies when a famous atheist dies? Lemonvariable72 14 7416 September 11, 2013 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Lemonvariable72
  Now Christians piss of Christians. leo-rcc 10 9984 December 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris