Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 4:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence
RE: Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence
(October 26, 2015 at 3:56 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(October 26, 2015 at 3:00 pm)Evie Wrote: Naturalism is the most consistently long established norm of all...
Define natural without making a circular reference.

Nature is that from which things arise.
Natural means a confused mess of half-assed evolution, some sort of intended purpose by a weird supernatural being, and not being different from the norm in ways that make bigots uncomfortable.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Chad the pompous ass: Define "supernatural" and then give us an example of something supernatural that actually exists rather than using the whole "it's in the bible and it must be true because god wrote it" circularlity.

It's supernaturalism that is inherently circular. There's evidence of naturalism EVERYWHERE in fact it's all there is evidence of! It's anything outside it that is lacking!
That's a good one Benny.  I like "the sum total of all forces in the universe".
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 26, 2015 at 2:32 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Science is supposed to be objective. The minute you say that one set of data requires more or less scrutiny than another you inject more subjectivity into the results. Nevertheless the most recent psi studies are very robust something ever critics have acknowledged. The early posts might have been true 20 years ago. Today its a different story.

Being objective doesn't mean having the same standard for every experiment. That would be absurd. Some experiments are more susceptible to bias, and the study has to be tailored to that.

Because that's what objective really means in this context. It means eliminating bias as much as possible.

Unfortunately for your pet claims, every time corrections are made to eliminate bias, the results disappear. That's exactly what we would expect from a false claim.
Here's one sample of some recent research in presentiment...make of it what you will.

http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/1...00390/full
(October 26, 2015 at 4:19 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Define fruity, as in "this tastes fruity" without making a circular reference.  We could come up with these all day, ofc, lol.
and have a ball

Fruity: something that is juicy and sweet. Maybe this belongs in the joke time thread.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
I know something juicy and sweet that doesn't involve any balls at all.
(October 26, 2015 at 6:08 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Fruity: something that is juicy and sweet. Maybe this belongs in the joke time thread.

Pretty sure it's already in the joke time thread.   Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'll certainly get 'round to joining A69 eventually ... the urge will become too strong ^______________^

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 4467 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12268 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Testimony is Evidence RoadRunner79 588 118821 September 13, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? Mudhammam 268 32954 February 3, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Anecdotal Evidence RoadRunner79 395 53790 December 14, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 12788 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The nature of evidence Wryetui 150 15630 May 6, 2016 at 6:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Witness Evidence RoadRunner79 248 36595 December 17, 2015 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Miracles are useless as evidence Pizza 0 1239 March 15, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Pizza
  On the nature of evidence. trmof 125 27301 October 26, 2014 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut