Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-May 3 to Whenever We're Not Fat Anymore
RE: AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-May 3 to Whenever We're Not Fat Anymore
Hey, it’s short term so go for it and then implement sustainable habits after that. You’re golden! Great work.
In any case, I went back and checked my doctor visit summaries and fitness tracker records to see where I'm at compared to where I was and what my first milepost goal is. I have a ways to go from there.

Catching up and accountability is a good thing:

March 2016 - G+68 (68 lbs over goal), the heaviest of my life. How I got here was a combination of the breakup of my marriage years prior, quitting smoking and hard drugs, recovering from debilitating mental illness, and apathy.

August 2016 - G+41. Between the above and now I've had surgery to repair an umbilical hernia I had been carrying around for years. Doc wanted me to lose weight before the procedure. I took it to heart. I've also moved into stable, permanent housing that I own. Yay, I bought a bicycle! I'm exercising every day this stage.

November 2016 - G+20. I don't remember the date but I wiped out on my bike in September or October which put the final nail in my right knee's coffin in the form of a wrecked ACL and meniscus. Doc says I have to take it easy.

I'm still at G+25 in March, then a vacation, knee surgery and the decline in activity that followed, bad dietary choices - by last November I was at G+49. Post-surgical recovery was pretty hard. After the holidays we both started getting serious about dietary change.

Today I'm back down to G+33.8, most of it lost in the last couple of weeks. I don't think I'm getting enough calories. Fitness app says my breakeven caloric intake is 3000+ daily, I'm at 1200-1300 for the last four or so days. I'm going to increase my water intake first.

Spoiler: I have a potentially diet-wrecking vacation in two weeks, but we'll get right back on it when we return.

TMI: I'm constipated AF. Dodgy
(February 15, 2018 at 1:14 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I kind of fell off the weight loss thing back when I wrecked my knee back in late 2016.  The bad news is I had put about 12 lbs back on.  The good news is that meant there were 27 I didn't put back on.

KG needs to drop some weight quickly to get greenlit by insurance for gastric bypass.  I couldn't possibly eat good food in front of her so for the next couple of weeks I'm doing some pretty extreme dieting along with her (she is under the care of a dietician).

High protein, low fat, militantly low carb, and almost entirely liquid.   1200-1300 calories daily.  I'm practicing mindful eating with the meager amount of solid food I'm eating.  Obviously it's not any kind of a diet for sustained weight loss.

Yeah, it sounds crazy but I'm shedding weight.

Good for you!  Take the beach (lose the weight) and then worry about holding it.  You didn't gain back all you'd lost so that is a good indicator that you're doing some things right in your approach to eating.  Mindful eating is helpful when you're on restricted rations.

(February 15, 2018 at 11:53 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: In any case, I went back and checked my doctor visit summaries and fitness tracker records to see where I'm at compared to where I was and what my first milepost goal is.  I have a ways to go from there.

Catching up and accountability is a good thing:

March 2016 - G+68 (68 lbs over goal), the heaviest of my life.  How I got here was a combination of the breakup of my marriage years prior, quitting smoking and hard drugs, recovering from debilitating mental illness, and apathy.

August 2016 - G+41.  Between the above and now I've had surgery to repair an umbilical hernia I had been carrying around for years.  Doc wanted me to lose weight before the procedure.  I took it to heart.  I've also moved into stable, permanent housing that I own.  Yay, I bought a bicycle!  I'm exercising every day this stage.

November 2016 - G+20.  I don't remember the date but I wiped out on my bike in September or October which put the final nail in my right knee's coffin in the form of a wrecked ACL and meniscus.  Doc says I have to take it easy.

I'm still at G+25 in March, then a vacation, knee surgery and the decline in activity that followed, bad dietary choices - by last November I was at G+49.  Post-surgical recovery was pretty hard.   After the holidays we both started getting serious about dietary change.

Today I'm back down to G+33.8, most of it lost in the last couple of weeks.  I don't think I'm getting enough calories.  Fitness app says my breakeven caloric intake is 3000+ daily, I'm at 1200-1300 for the last four or so days.  I'm going to increase my water intake first.

Spoiler:  I have a potentially diet-wrecking vacation in two weeks, but we'll get right back on it when we return.  

TMI: I'm constipated AF.  Dodgy

I've heard you need to avoid drastic reduction in calories or else you'll throw your metabolism into starvation mode where it'll extract and retain all the food value it can.  I'm amazed you can cope with so few calories.  I never tried to lose more than two calories per week and for that I was allowed to eat 1920 calories per day.  Poor women are allowed like 1200 or so depending on other factors of course.
I just got through my own lil' diet wrecking vacation, from Miami to Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao and Haiti. Ate nothing while in port but annihilated my system on the Royal Caribbean ship. Still such good dreams of all that mousse.

Next weigh-in probs Monday. I'm skeered.

Gonna go watch some NCAA tennis vs. Cal Poly tomorrow. I need some inspiration.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
@Whateverist

I think it does put the body into starvation mode, but the metabolism has to get the rest of the 3050 calories my fat ass needs just to keep the lights on. It's temporary, and I'm going to let up on the gas a bit, after hearing what my body is telling me.

In going back over my dietary records and compared against my weigh loss curve I learned that I achieved the best success by logging everything that went in my mouth, before it did so. So I'm taking that approach going forward, and I'll take on a bit more real food.
(February 16, 2018 at 2:04 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: @Whateverist

I think it does put the body into starvation mode, but the metabolism has to get the rest of the 3050 calories my fat ass needs just to keep the lights on.  It's temporary, and I'm going to let up on the gas a bit, after hearing what my body is telling me.

In going back over my dietary records and compared against my weigh loss curve I learned that I achieved the best success by logging everything that went in my mouth, before it did so.  So I'm taking that approach going forward, and I'll take on a bit more real food.

*my bold*

That is what has worked best for me too.  I think it worked best for me because the effort required was so odious that I'd do almost anything to stop doing it - including losing the fucking extra weight.
Merely cutting out the beer has caused me to start losing my beer belly.

Who woulda thunk it? Dunno
I think for me it created a sense of mindfulness about what I was consuming. I haven't found logging to be too onerous, I use an app and when I'm dieting I don't have too much variety in meals.
If I were to believe my scale, I've lost 8 lbs since last Monday. Clearly, that is not the case.

I weigh myself twice a day, once shortly after I get, and again right before the evening meal. I record the evening measurement (which has consistently been the higher). I have found that my weight varies as much as 3.5 lbs between weighings. The trendline is unmistakably going the right away, which is all I care about.

Anyone else notice a lot of daily variance when your caloric intake is consistently below your daily target
?
Not sure cathooloo. I don't weigh myself often anymore. I did find inconsistencies when last i did, however.

I can say i lost another notch in my belt though. I think perhaps The look of The thing gives you more intell than actual numbers.
"If we go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, suggesting 69.
[Image: 41bebac06973488da2b0740b6ac37538.jpg]-

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Love Your Body Challenge Shell B 39 3271 September 24, 2019 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  NFL may be headed to player negotiation. Brian37 9 1048 August 15, 2019 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  AF Biggest Loser/Fitness Challenge-April 1 to May 1 Shell B 232 23523 September 25, 2017 at 11:54 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheist Forums' Biggest Loser Shell B 64 5673 March 31, 2017 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Anyone here participate in Sports/Fitness? Lifelongnontheist 24 2630 February 1, 2017 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: yasalam
  Bracket Challenge? SteelCurtain 21 3845 April 5, 2015 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Sad I got fat Something completely different 27 6623 July 9, 2013 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox