Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 1:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 4.71 Average
Member Photos
RE: Member Photos
(July 5, 2013 at 3:24 pm)festive1 Wrote: Not to worry though, they both have very common middle names, so if they want they can go by those. I wanted them to have options.

My brother and I only got a letter for our middle names. My mother was given what she considers a hick southern name. You know, like Bobby Sue? Those double kinds of names.

She made sure that wouldn't happen to us. The only problem was that my first name became extremely popular about a decade after I was born. So pbbhtt.

My first and last name combination is very common too. There are almost 300 people in the US with the same ones.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
Re: Member Photos
I'm going to be awful and give a bunch of weird middle names. I know it. For girls, I mostly like normal names, but for boys... my list gets weirder and weirder. Rufio has been a favourite for a while. I've never met a Rufio, or even heard of one in real life. I have no idea why because Rufio is the coolest boy ever, so you'd think people would name their kids after him. Right???

The route for my marathon has been revealed. I'm now fairly sure I'm gonna die trying to do this.

[Image: uhytuvan.jpg]

(If anyone would like to sponsor my team for some reason, you can do it here: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/team/chilterngirls )
(July 5, 2013 at 5:46 pm)Rahul Wrote: My first and last name combination is very common too. There are almost 300 people in the US with the same ones.

Ditto. My first bank account got the ATM card mixed up with someone else with my same first, last, and middle initial. Undecided That was a mess! Never going to happen to my kids at least.
(July 5, 2013 at 3:32 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote:
(July 5, 2013 at 3:29 pm)festive1 Wrote: That's what we were aiming for. Not unheard of, made up names, just something as special and unique as they are Smile Sorry, gushy, mommy moment.

Gush away - mine capitalized on a pop trend and got tired of thinking so they just used two sisters in the Old Testament, hoping to make a great-aunt happy. Bleh.

If I ever had a daughter, I'd want to name her "Morgan," or preferably "Joselyn,"

That way if she ever became a vampire she could go by Morgana without much fuss.

My wife named my stepson after the son of her good friend in Sweden. Kalle is very unusual here in the states so she also gave him his granddad's name James for a middle name. He has stuck with Kalle and even managed to get a phone number which could be had my entering k-a-l-l-e-m-e. So it served him well until he did an internship in Norway where Kalle is common as dirt and has the same anatomical association that Dick does here. Since he isn't gay the equivalent of "dick-me" turned out to be a highly unfortunate choice in the land of the vikings. Apparently he survived though since he made it through the year with his cherry intact. I guess what doesn't destroy you will make you tougher.
You're not far off, whateverist. I fell completely in love with the Morgan le Fey from Mists of Avalon. She was witchy and strong and independent. I wanted my daughter to have a GOOD gothy role model...and Morgan came complete with her own symbol - the raven. I even have a few things picked up over the years with Celtic and tribal ravens on them. It won't happen now, unless I get to name a niece.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(July 5, 2013 at 3:32 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: If I ever had a daughter, I'd want to name her "Morgan," or preferably "Joselyn,"

My youngest daughter's name is Morgan.
Everything I needed to know about life I learned on Dagobah.
A white couple I know in Maryland has named their son Xavi, after a soccer player. Both support DC United, and the wife likes Chelsea and the hubby likes Barcelona.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
(July 5, 2013 at 9:00 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: You're not far off, whateverist. I fell completely in love with the Morgan le Fey from Mists of Avalon. She was witchy and strong and independent. I wanted my daughter to have a GOOD gothy role model...and Morgan came complete with her own symbol - the raven. I even have a few things picked up over the years with Celtic and tribal ravens on them. It won't happen now, unless I get to name a niece.

I have a niece who is now 7. She is great and loves me as much as I do her. She is smart as hell and artistic too. You'll love being an aunt. This is me holding her up as a newborn. I think I fell hard right away.

[Image: 550619932_4411c8759f.jpg]
(July 5, 2013 at 8:49 pm)whateverist Wrote: Kalle is very unusual here in the states so she also gave him his granddad's name James for a middle name.

Heehee, Kalle is really common here too. It's a nickname for the name Karl (or Carl), which of course is a variant of Charlie Smile
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(July 6, 2013 at 12:54 am)Kayenneh Wrote:
(July 5, 2013 at 8:49 pm)whateverist Wrote: Kalle is very unusual here in the states so she also gave him his granddad's name James for a middle name.

Heehee, Kalle is really common here too. It's a nickname for the name Karl (or Carl), which of course is a variant of Charlie Smile

I forget where your "here" is. Somehow I've thought of you as being in England. Wrong?

I am currently without lap top having fried my old lap top with what turned out to be a very expensive lemonade. (Note, never leave a lap top charging in the seat beside the one you're eating at, even under the table, even with the lid closed.) In trying to get onto my flickr account I came across a photo of myself taken by my nephew, standing in front of the restaurant we went to in Berkeley. Looks like I was trying to blend in with the Samarai statue beside me.

http://flic.kr/p/aQhJT2

The one the statue is holding may be bigger than mine.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pet Photos thread where too much is never enough. Whateverist 1189 131214 May 3, 2024 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  new member asswriter 8 314 April 12, 2024 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  New member MistMuse 7 320 April 2, 2024 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  New member Jillybean 19 772 March 4, 2024 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member titanif 8 902 October 10, 2023 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: MR. Macabre 666
  [Serious] Hi. Previous member here. I'm so sorry. Steelfist 2 669 September 21, 2023 at 5:00 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  New member PaulC 13 1433 August 13, 2023 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  New member Dansup 9 1218 April 1, 2023 at 3:44 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  long time atheist, new member BloodyHeartland 17 2155 February 6, 2022 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  New Member johndoe122931 21 2739 June 2, 2021 at 7:06 am
Last Post: no one