Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Official Television Thread
RE: Otter's Official Television Thread
(August 4, 2021 at 12:08 pm)Foxaire Wrote: Never saw either show.

Sons of Anarchy just doesn't interest me.

Animal Kingdom I'd probably watch for Scott Speedman, because he's pretty hot.

Ah, well I hope you enjoy AK. There's a gay character in the show also. It was difficult watching the first episode. The main kid, Jay, seems really reserved and it comes across as emotionless but by the end of that first episode you see that he does feel things and he does emote. So, if that aspect bothers you, just stick with it to episode two. I promise you, they all come out being really complex and interesting characters, including Jay. I'm in the middle of season two and I can't put it down.

Watching the pilot of SurrealEstate and I'm hooked, especially since I enjoy fictional supernatural concepts.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Watched and cringed through fifteen minutes of Animal Kingdom.

I can't watch it, too much stupid testosterone for my liking.
~ Erin Hunter
(August 5, 2021 at 1:24 am)Foxaire Wrote: Watched and cringed through fifteen minutes of Animal Kingdom.

I can't watch it, too much stupid testosterone for my liking.

Ah, yeah. If you didn't like Sons of Anarchy, then yeah it's likely AK wouldn't be up to your taste. 

I, on the other hand, find that hyper masculinity and boyish rough housing to be attractive.  Naughty

I'm back to spending more time looking for something to watch than actually watching anything. UGH

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(August 4, 2021 at 10:57 pm)Foxaire Wrote: Watching the pilot of SurrealEstate and I'm hooked, especially since I enjoy fictional supernatural concepts.

Also a watcher of this show but for the humor value.  

From a 'tv-eh.com' interview yesterday of the show's lead, Tim Rozon:  

"And I’m a non-believer, but after hearing the experience of so many guest stars, Sarah (Levy) and I are like, ‘I don’t know, there’s got to be something, I don’t think anybody’s lying to us.’

They may not be, Tim, but the main issue might not necessarily be with them.  Doh   

Our culture elevates and idolizes entertainment stars at it's peril, in my experience.
Checking out the new American Horror Stories Hulu
Quote:An anthology series of stand-alone episodes delving into horror myths, legends, and lore.
~ Erin Hunter
Watching Motherland: Fort Salem Hulu
Quote:A trio of witches is trained to become powerful weapons for the American military.
~ Erin Hunter
So, fun fact: I write for Anglotopia, and it's mostly music news with the occasional movie review, but the only TV series I review is Black Mirror. I've considered reviewing a few other shows, but no British show has been so consistently rewarding (though I have done a few TV movies). Probably the one that I've come closest to committing to is Inside No. 9. But I've been turned off for a few reasons, mostly because A) For whatever reason, only the first two series are available on Hulu (though you can find them all on DailyMotion, at least if you're willing to look for terms like "S06E06") and I have a policy of only reviewing media that's readily available (or at least media that isn't one copyright claim away from being really fucking hard to find), and B) There's been a few episodes that I just can't get anything out of, something that Black Mirror has NEVER done. And then there's this episode:

On the one hand, I love this episode, and it's honestly enough to make me seriously want to listen to the Last Night of the Proms. On the other hand, well, Anglotopia has a strict "no religion, no politics" policy. The setting of this episode involves a politically tense Last Night of the Proms party with post-Brexit resentment, and the big inciting incident involves a Syrian refugee who's a blatant expy for Jesus, right down to the miracles (including being raised from the dead). You do the math on that one.

That said, I have to admit that, it might just be the Anglophile who was raised into a dysfunctional household, but I love Steve Pemberton in this episode, even if he is a total goober with the misfortune of having to deal with a racist wife. Some reviewers have called him a racist like his wife (if so, I think it's more the clueless type than the legitimately hateful type), but I'm personally inclined to think he's just given up on really trying to challenge her views (beyond his reminding her that the Proms are meant to be a concert for Britain, and that the Scots and Welsh are still a thing). Maybe that scene where his wife and brother-in-law are getting into a really heated argument about Brexit and his coming in wearing a weird costume I'm 95% certain is supposed to be Brittania herself is his way of trying to lighten the mood (even if he probably was going to do that anyway). And then, there's what might actually be the first instance of Dabbing I've seen in media that isn't just trying to pander to the kids who'll probably have moved on to other memes by the time it comes out. Could the fact that he's willing to embrace his nephew's dabbing during the Sailor's Hornpipe mean he's more open to new things than his wife, and by extension, more redeemable? Or maybe I'm reading too much into it. 

Also, I'm on Season 6 of Shameless and I'm legit shocked that they limited Debbie Gallagher's plan for a gender reveal party to cupcakes. Or maybe the shit with gender reveal parties hadn't yet truly hit the fan by early 2016.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
On season two of Motherland. Really good show.
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupidest show airing on television? Foxaèr 31 1703 July 22, 2020 at 7:02 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Comedy on television Foxaèr 2 571 September 6, 2018 at 9:53 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Question in relation to television series writing Foxaèr 1 754 October 29, 2017 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Hammy's Official Music Thread Edwardo Piet 5 1035 October 9, 2017 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  With all these old, cancelled television shows returning to the screen Foxaèr 12 3434 May 23, 2017 at 4:00 am
Last Post: StuW
  My current list of television shows Foxaèr 15 2515 October 18, 2016 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Still no official writing thread. Foxaèr 3 1094 January 25, 2016 at 4:54 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4