Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 4:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency
RE: Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency
(November 28, 2017 at 2:11 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: Laws don't exist by themselves, something is applying these laws.  
What kind of laws are you talking about?  Sure, traffic laws don't exist by themselves, something applies traffic law.  The same isn't true of natural laws..which are simply descriptions of how some item(s) x in the universe behave.  

(November 28, 2017 at 2:47 pm)MysticKnight Wrote: You can assert time and time again that no God is required, but that won't make the proofs go away, just be a shortcoming on your part,
Is god pushing peoples heads down to keep them from floating off the earth, or something............?

Quote:I live in a place where secular theories were taught to me about everything, I bought evolution and all the geology non-sense of how things cam to be for a time.   Half-knowledge and half baked theories can make anything seem true or reasonable. 
I doubt a great deal of the above, you don't strike me as a person who understands natural law, evolution, or "geology nonsense".  Whatever it was you "bought"..then and now, you should ask for a refund in both instances. In what may amount to a tragedy, if you had a better understanding of those subjects you may have been less susceptible as a victim of whatever assholes have wrapped you up more recently. If the people that you're listening too can't find a way to make their ghost stories concordant with reality, then it's just DOA. That's that, that's it, no point in arguing....they're bullshitters. You should go find a better class of witchdoctor. One's that afford you at least enough dignity not to play you for a tool and send you out into the world to embarrass yourself and faith in gods in the general.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Yet there you are believing you have an exact value determined by an exact value giver and perfect judge. Tired of deceivers deceiving themselves and others.
(November 28, 2017 at 2:47 pm)Cyberman Wrote:
(November 28, 2017 at 2:42 pm)Tizheruk Wrote: You have not even come close to showing evolution as absurd only that your ignorant of it. And we are not in a masterpiece were in a cosmos .

Exactly. Knight, I truly hope you never have to depend on any kind of medical aid that wouldn't even exist if not for evolution.

Why? He can take all the benefits and still credit a god, right?

I mean, whenever the modern medicine of science saves a life the theists are gonna thank a god anyway. They're annoying like that. It's the same with prayer:

Quote:[...]The best thing about saying thank goodness in place of thank God is that there really are lots of ways of repaying your debt to goodness—by setting out to create more of it, for the benefit of those to come. Goodness comes in many forms, not just medicine and science. Thank goodness for the music of, say, Randy Newman, which could not exist without all those wonderful pianos and recording studios, to say nothing of the musical contributions of every great composer from Bach through Wagner to Scott Joplin and the Beatles. Thank goodness for fresh drinking water in the tap, and food on our table. Thank goodness for fair elections and truthful journalism. If you want to express your gratitude to goodness, you can plant a tree, feed an orphan, buy books for schoolgirls in the Islamic world, or contribute in thousands of other ways to the manifest improvement of life on this planet now and in the near future.

Or you can thank God—but the very idea of repaying God is ludicrous. What could an omniscient, omnipotent Being (the Man Who has Everything?) do with any paltry repayments from you? (And besides, according to the Christian tradition God has already redeemed the debt for all time, by sacrificing his own son. Try to repay that loan!) Yes, I know, those themes are not to be understood literally; they are symbolic. I grant it, but then the idea that by thanking God you are actually doing some good has got to be understood to be just symbolic, too. I prefer real good to symbolic good.

Still, I excuse those who pray for me. I see them as like tenacious scientists who resist the evidence for theories they don't like long after a graceful concession would have been the appropriate response. I applaud you for your loyalty to your own position—but remember: loyalty to tradition is not enough. You've got to keep asking yourself: What if I'm wrong? In the long run, I think religious people can be asked to live up to the same moral standards as secular people in science and medicine.

Source: https://www.edge.org/conversation/daniel...k-goodness
(November 28, 2017 at 2:52 pm)LostLocke Wrote: Not necessarily.

To use space instead of time as an example....
I'm in Chicago. I get in my car, point it west, and start driving. If I drive "straight" from my frame of reference, (ignoring obstacles of course), I will eventually return to Chicago. I don't have to drive backwards in space to return, I'll still be moving forward.
That's because we are driving along a 2 dimensional surface, but don't actually perceive this surface curving around a higher spatial dimension that warps it back in to itself. The same could apply to time.
And again, there is nothing in our current understanding of physics that prevents time from doing the same.

Not an expert, but I think entropy would like a word.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Everything just happens magically guys... no Gods required, we inherit our actions magically, the form a part of who we are magically, things all move magically, time flows magically, eternal point zero universe magically create time and our brains magically create our souls, physical laws all are applied universally magically..... all that magic it just happens no Sky Magician needed....yup...
Quote:Laws don't exist by themselves, something is applying these laws.  
Nope laws are descriptions of the nature of the universe there is no magic judge in the sky making them . 

Quote:You can assert time and time again that no God is required, but that won't make the proofs go away, just be a shortcoming on your part,
And you can assert over and over again that it has  been proven and that a gawd is required does not change the fact neither has been shown . Just a shortcoming on your part . 

Quote:I live in a place where secular theories were taught to me about everything, I bought evolution and all the geology non-sense of how things cam to be for a time.   Half-knowledge and half baked theories can make anything seem true or reasonable
So you abandoned reason for crap . and they sound reasonable and true because they are.
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(November 28, 2017 at 2:52 pm)LostLocke Wrote: To use space instead of time as an example....
I'm in Chicago. I get in my car, point it west, and start driving. If I drive "straight" from my frame of reference, (ignoring obstacles of course), I will eventually return to Chicago. I don't have to drive backwards in space to return, I'll still be moving forward.
That's because we are driving along a 2 dimensional surface, but don't actually perceive this surface curving around a higher spatial dimension that warps it back in to itself. The same could apply to time.
And again, there is nothing in our current understanding of physics that prevents time from doing the same.

Oh I see, you think the science of the experience of time is relevant to the philosophy or logic of time itself. Yeah a lot of people think that.

Sorry but, perspectives, frame of reference, and evidence isn't relevant when we're talking about the logic of a concept that is supposed to transcend empiricism. We can't address phenomena and pretend we're addressing noumena.
Quote:Yet there you are believing you have an exact value determined by an exact value giver and perfect judge. Tired of deceivers deceiving themselves and others
Yup as a nature of an object being measured  . But there is no judge outside of us . Yes i'm tired of deceivers too but i call them theists .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Can you tell me the size of who you are? Not your body, of who you are then. Go ahead and tell me.

When it comes to person of who we are, it has to have perception, this is so obvious. But you guys won't accept no matter how clear a reminder is of God.
Quote:Everything just happens magically guys... no Gods required, we inherit our actions magically, the form a part of who we are magically, things all move magically, time flows magically, eternal point zero universe magically create time and our brains magically create our souls, physical laws all are applied universally magically..... all that magic it just happens no Sky Magician needed....yup
Straw man .

Inuit Proverb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proving the Existence of a First Cause Muhammad Rizvi 3 795 June 23, 2023 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The existence of God smithd 314 21028 November 23, 2022 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Veridican Argument for the Existence of God The Veridican 14 1823 January 16, 2022 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Good Arguments (Certainty vs. Probability) JAG 12 1006 October 8, 2020 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Sal
  A 'proof' of God's existence - free will mrj 54 6532 August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 2982 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8278 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 14054 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Argument from contingency mcc1789 36 7551 April 25, 2018 at 12:00 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments? vulcanlogician 223 30454 April 9, 2018 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: KevinM1