Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does science always upstage God?
RE: Why does science always upstage God?
“In the end, religion isn't the biggest idea that man has ever had. Science is. Religion is an attempt at reassurance where science is a commitment to exploration. Religion is fearful; science is unafraid. Science pushes back the darkness; religion invites it in.” (Phillip Adams)  Read
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
Science doesn't give you donuts and coffee after meetings.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 25, 2021 at 11:53 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Why does it have to be one or the other?

So many religious people argue that it doesn't, but then you get to the details and it's clear that it does.  I guess the basic problem is that religion is based on the words in a book that has been declared absolute, so there is no way to grow and change ideas.  But science does allow growth and change and wouldn't be much use without it.
Why is it so?
~Julius Sumner Miller
Guilt and fear only happens in science when something goes terribly wrong. In religion it's often a regular Sunday event that for some reason people pay for.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 25, 2021 at 11:40 pm)Foxaire Wrote: Science doesn't upstage god. Reason does.

Reason encompass many things.  Science is systematized version of a particular type of reason.    Much of the rest of reasoning can be as easily usurped by religion as to upstage it.
(September 26, 2021 at 8:07 am)brewer Wrote: Science doesn't give you donuts and coffee after meetings.

Growing up Catholic the only thing we got was the little choke-inducing wafer that glued itself to the roof of your mouth more often than not.

When I worked a project at a huge old Baptist church in Dallas I was shocked to see a general ledger account for donuts. And there seemed to be some sort of contest for who could find the most expensive, fanciest donuts around. Damned Protestants.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

god is a 0 trick unicorn in a preposterous circus.
Logic sees through this sham.
the fundamental fact that is often lost sight of is religion is a class of organically evolved intellectual virus that through trial and error, and brutal survival of the fittest winnowing, that have left a surviving body of specimens which are extremely well and thoroughly adopted to exploit every facet of the peculiarities of human cognition and emotional need. It is well to say science always upstage god. but that only true in the sphere of predictive explanation of reality. while religion uses explanation of reality as one means to gain entry, that is not its end goal, nor is it its only means of securing entry.

The conflict between religion and science is a no holds barred war, not a joist.
(September 24, 2021 at 12:22 pm)ayost Wrote: You say the existence of God is inconsequential to you, yet here you are on the atheist forums attempting to suppress knowledge about God.

Seems like this forum would be the last place Nudger would be if he wanted to suppress knowledge about God.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
(December 21, 2017 at 3:20 am)░I░G░N░O░R░A░M░U░S ░ Wrote: (in no particular order)
Theists tell me, why is it that everything that God has provided, created and bestowed upon us, co-incidentally always seems to have
an alternate natural, more feasible explanation?

Why cannot science objectively find just one example out of trillions, where we can say, yeah, that thing right there, it shouldn't happen like that but it does, repeatedly.
That thing goes against what is logical or possible in our universe.
Example: People go back to Fatima, pray en masse for a sundance and on queue the Sun dances! For all the world to see?

Maybe it is the work of a God? Dunno They prayed to a God and a God responded... Makes logical sense.

But if God is going to act exactly like he doesn't exist in our universe, theists, why on earth do you even assume that he does?
What compels you to go against the grain of logic and common sense and dedicate your life to a particular myth from millions of other man made myths?

We just need one tiny example for God to show us something, but even that is asking too much for a non existent God.
Funny how everything in the world seems to make more sense when you take any extra unnecessary baggage out of the picture. (Occams)

Yeah, the world is a cruel place for the most part, but how is believing in something not real going to help anything or anyone. Dunno
Have we really reduced our species to relying on false hope to get by? We must have: 80% of the world does it.

(Even at the quantum level, weird shit happens, that isn't God! Why would the creator of the universe need to hide inside of atoms while we're all outside?
That's how our universe has been for 14 billion years, we're just discovering it now (last 100 years -through knowledge and technology.)

Shy

Unfortunately most humans adapt the superstitions/religions/God/gods/deities their parents hand them down in youth when they are too young to formulate adult critical thinking skills.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does anyone convert to Islam? FrustratedFool 28 2232 September 6, 2023 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2719 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 6681 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why does God care about S E X? zwanzig 83 5032 November 15, 2021 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Why are angels always males? Fake Messiah 63 5674 October 9, 2021 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 11164 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  Does afterlife need God? Fake Messiah 7 1379 February 4, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Why does God get the credit? Cod 91 7340 July 29, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: comet
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 7026 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  God doesn't love you-or does He? yragnitup 24 4840 January 24, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler