Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does anyone convert to Islam?
Why does anyone convert to Islam?
I can just about understand why someone would convert to Hinduism, Buddhism, Paganism or some forms of Christianity in the West. But why do some secular atheists convert to Islam?
RE: Why does anyone convert to Islam?
To feel special.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
For the freedom, understanding, joy, and compassion associated with the enlightened mindset.

Not to mention the bonus miles.
(August 29, 2023 at 6:09 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: To feel special.

Boru

There can be many other ways to feel special that don't involve getting circumcised or denying evolution or fasting during Ramadan etc. Seems a pretty big investment in something as easy to obtain as feeling special.
(August 29, 2023 at 6:51 am)FrustratedFool Wrote:
(August 29, 2023 at 6:09 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: To feel special.

Boru

There can be many other ways to feel special that don't involve getting circumcised or denying evolution or fasting during Ramadan etc.  Seems a pretty big investment in something as easy to obtain as feeling special.

Hinduism: There can be many other ways to feel special that don't involve blood sacrifices.

Buddhism: There can be many other ways to feel special that don't involve using reincarnation to keep people in their place.

Christianity: There can be many other ways to feel special that don't involve ritual cannibalism.

Paganism: There can be many other ways to feel special that don't involve pentacles.

In short, people convert to different religions for the same reasons: they want to feel special, they want to feel superior, they're desperate to make sense of things without the bother of thinking, and so on. Conversion to Islam is no different than any other religious conversion.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Why does anyone accept the nonsense that is god? Doesn't matter which one, the notion of a creator, is absolute rubbish.
If I were religious and not a Muslim I’d convert because they have the best looking hat

You don’t want to piss off god with the wrong hat

god's mostest favoritest hats are made of straw.
I'm not convinced conversion in general is because people want to feel special. It seems that most actually believe in the ideology they convert to, for various complex reasons.

And yes, there's definitely a desire for many practical and psychological benefits which likely undergirds the emotional conversion aspects (removal of fear, guilt, hope, community and so on) but being special seems low down on the list for many.

Given the cognitive dissonance cost for believing many other religions is usually either less or equal to Islam, and given the psychological benefits are likely the same, it seems odd for someone outside of a dominant Islamic culture to end up following a much harder path for no obvious benefit.

It seems to me that there must be something else driving some folk in secular post-Christian countries to convert to Islam rather than to Christianity or neo-paganism or some 'easier' faith.
^Maybe you should find someone who has converted to Islam and ask them.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does science always upstage God? ignoramus 940 124104 October 26, 2022 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why does God care about S E X? zwanzig 83 4948 November 15, 2021 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Why does God get the credit? Cod 91 7331 July 29, 2019 at 6:14 am
Last Post: comet
  Why does there need to be a God? Brian37 41 7015 July 20, 2019 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Does anyone else fall down the rabbit hole Figbash 18 2359 October 14, 2018 at 4:53 am
Last Post: no one
  Why does the Pope wear such funny clothing? GODZILLA 22 3294 June 27, 2018 at 2:24 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
Question Does anyone else feel disgusted by religious words? Der/die AtheistIn 63 11565 January 17, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Why is Christianity and Islam so widely practiced? NuclearEnergy 12 2460 November 20, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Why doesn't hell in Islam and Christianity have Cold as torture? Spixri 33 9329 April 7, 2017 at 10:05 am
Last Post: WinterHold
  [1 second conversion] Convert theist to atheist, in 1 second ProgrammingGodJordan 252 23089 February 17, 2017 at 1:10 am
Last Post: maestroanth