Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 4:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why, God? Why?!
RE: Why, God? Why?!
(February 8, 2018 at 6:27 pm)Khemikal Wrote: I can't remember the last time I drowned any of my kids..or ordered one to kill the other.

What if your kid was Stalin and you knew that he would be responsible for 68 million deaths... would you drown him?
I don't know if my kid -is- the next Stalin, and I still won't drown him...but it's a pointless question..unless you're imagining that every single person god ordered anyone to kill in magic book...and every single person god drowns in magic flood.... was stalin...and that's more a comment on your own humanity than the humanity of any of those people.

I never did understand why people make the parenting comparison.  It fails god -and- man simultaneously.  Firstly, it shows god to be incapable of the basic function of a simple animal....what kind of believer wants to set that up?  Secondly, it shits all over the basic function of those simple animals...discharged day in and day out all day every day all over the worldt...and what parent would treat their children as god is said to have treated his?

Thirdly, and finally, it makes you say stupid shit that only a complete dick would say. Case in point...your silly question.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
What supposedly happened to free will or predestined to be Stalin no matter what? . And are the theists arguing that i can kill children if i knew they were going to be Stalin?
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(February 8, 2018 at 7:17 pm)Khemikal Wrote: I don't know if my kid -is- the next Stalin, and I still won't drown him...but it's a pointless question..unless you're imagining that every single person god ordered anyone to kill in magic book...and every single person god drowns in magic flood.... was stalin...and that's more a comment on your own humanity than the humanity of any of those people.

I never did understand why people make the parenting comparison.  It fails god -and- man simultaneously.  Firstly, it shows god to be incapable of the basic function of a simple animal....what kind of believer wants to set that up?  Secondly, it shits all over the basic function of those simple animals...discharged day in and day out all day every day all over the worldt...and what parent would treat their children as god is said to have treated his?

Thirdly, and finally, it makes you say stupid shit that only a complete dick would say.  Case in point...your silly question.

It was a simple yes or no question,  so how about a yes or a no? Every single time one of you asks me a yes or no question I'll ALWAYS give a yes or no answer so why are you so reluctant?

(March 4, 2015 at 4:54 am)robvalue Wrote:
(March 4, 2015 at 4:47 am)Huggy74 Wrote:
(March 4, 2015 at 3:17 am)robvalue Wrote: Please answer this simple question Huggy. Pick just yes or no, and don't try and dodge the question by explaining why you can't pick yes or no. It's a simple question.

This is a hypothetical scenario only. Assume you hear the voice of God. It's definitely God, the one you worship. There is absolutely no doubt about it. You're totally sure. He tells you to kill all your family and friends.

Will you obey and kill your family and friends? Yes or no.

Other theists are also welcome to answer with either yes or no too. I've not seen a single one ever give an honest, simple answer to this honest, simple question. If you think the scenario is impossible, then it doesn't matter which answer you say, does it? So just pick one. Except it already happened in the bible, Abraham was instructed to kill his son, and he agreed. He had real faith.

Oh, God wouldn't make you go through with it? Cool, then the answer is yes. You would fully intend to kill them, assuming he will stop you at the last minute. So "yes" will cover this.

So yes or no only please.

If you want a little bit more time to think, why not consider this scenario first:
No
Wow! OK, well you have my respect here, for giving the first real answer ever to this question. And it's a great answer. I wonder if any other theists will be so brave?

So I'll ask again. If you knew for a fact that your kid would grow up to be responsible for the deaths of millions of people, would you drown him? Answer that, then we can get into the implications.
(February 8, 2018 at 7:35 pm)Huggy74 Wrote:
(February 8, 2018 at 7:17 pm)Khemikal Wrote: I don't know if my kid -is- the next Stalin, and I still won't drown him...but it's a pointless question..unless you're imagining that every single person god ordered anyone to kill in magic book...and every single person god drowns in magic flood.... was stalin...and that's more a comment on your own humanity than the humanity of any of those people.

Thirdly, and finally, it makes you say stupid shit that only a complete dick would say.  Case in point...your silly question.

It was a simple yes or no question,  so how about a yes or a no? Every single time one of you asks me a yes or no question I'll ALWAYS give a yes or no answer so why are you so reluctant?
 What was unclear, above?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 8, 2018 at 7:37 pm)Khemikal Wrote:
(February 8, 2018 at 7:35 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: It was a simple yes or no question,  so how about a yes or a no? Every single time one of you asks me a yes or no question I'll ALWAYS give a yes or no answer so why are you so reluctant?
 What was unclear, above?

It was unclear if your answer was a yes or no... so how about giving a clear yes or no, to avoid any confusion.
I already told you that I don;t know whether my kid is stalin and I still won't drown him.  I gave you the assholes 50/50 and that wasn't good enough?  What an asshole.

Speaking of assholes.."god's love" whatever the hell that is..in addition to being something entirely alien to what any parent feels....is woefully lacking in it's ability to keep him from killing his own children..apparently his only recourse..in his vast omniscience and oh-so-competent omnipotence.

Some parent....some god. Jerkoff

Or maybe it's just you?
(February 8, 2018 at 7:46 pm)Khemikal Wrote: I already told you that I don;t know whether my kid is stalin and I still won't drown him.  I gave you the assholes 50/50 and that wasn't good enough?  What an asshole.

Speaking of assholes.."god love" whatever the hell that is..in addition to being something entirely alien to what any parent feels....is woefully lacking in it's ability to keep him from killing his own children..apparently his only recourse..in his vast omniscience and oh-so-competent omnipotence.  

Some parent....some god. Jerkoff

Or maybe it's just you?

Your answer isn't good enough because it's not an answer.

Let's try again.

The question was:

"What if your kid was Stalin and you knew that he would be responsible for 68 million deaths... would you drown him?"

I don't know what your answer of "I don;t know whether my kid is stalin and I still won't drown him." means in relation to the question.

You know what would be clear? A 'yes' or a 'no'...
Why would I kill my kid, Huggs....are you really going to castigate me for being unwilling to do so, regardless of who my kid was?  You can't be so clueless as to imagine that you'll ever win the "parent's love" argument by insisting that under some circumstance I should kill my kid..either directly or indirectly?

You;re the one that just finished telling us that we were created in gods image, and further that gods's reasons were like any parent's reasons. Well..I wont kill my kids, because I love them. Now, have fun telling me all of the ways that god is different and that you were wrong.

Do all of my work for me...again.
(February 8, 2018 at 8:03 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Why would I kill my kid, Huggs....are you really going to castigate me for being unwilling to do so, regardless of who my kid was?  You can't be so clueless as to imagine that you'll ever win the "parent's love" argument by insisting that under some circumstance I should kill my kid..either directly or indirectly?

You;re the one that just finished telling us that we were created in gods image, and further that gods's reasons were like any parent's reasons.   Well..I wont kill my kids, because I love them.  Now, have fun telling me all of the ways that god is different and that you were wrong.

Do all of my work for me...again.

Ok, so It's a no then... got it.

So by knowing that your kid would be responsible for 68 million deaths, by doing nothing their blood is on your hands.

Now in comparison to God, did he not love the world so much that he sacrificed his only begotten Son? You made it, clear that if you were God you'd save your kid and sacrifice untold trillions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12712 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6749 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad