Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 2:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Refusing service because of political party.
RE: Refusing service because of political party.
I say political beliefs aren't on the same level as race or sexual orientation. If you're well known for a toxic belief, or voting for obviously corrupt politicians, that's something people can judge you for. And publicly shaming people can sometimes get them to change their minds. A mind is easier to change than the race you were born in, or who you're attracted to.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(June 26, 2018 at 8:40 am)johan Wrote:
(June 26, 2018 at 8:18 am)robvalue Wrote: Sure, in that case I don't think things should be that way. The cake guy can just say he doesn't like the gay couple, telling them to get out. This nullifies the whole idea of protected groups.
It does nothing of the sort. Protecting classes of people does just that, it protects the entire group from being discriminated against based on the class. But you can be a member of a protected class and also be an individual whom I think is an asshole. It is and should be illegal for me to refuse to serve all members of a protected class simply because I think one or more members of that class are assholes. But it is not and should not be illegal for me to refuse to serve any individual I find to be an asshole regardless of what protected class they may also be a member of.

Right but... how exactly can someone prove I refused to serve someone because they are gay, if all I did was tell them to get out? If questioned I just say I didn't like them. Do they have to actually do something to annoy me?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 26, 2018 at 8:54 am)robvalue Wrote: Right but... how exactly can someone prove I refused to serve someone because they are gay, if all I did was tell them to get out? If questioned I just say I didn't like them. Do they have to actually do something to annoy me?

Nope. Just them being in my business is annoyance enough if they're someone I don't like. How can you prove it otherwise? You can't. But before you go losing a bunch of sleep over it remember one thing. This situation has existed forever. And yet business owners as whole are not covertly refusing to serve all members of very many protected classes. Just because people can doesn't mean they will. And most don't. Which is why there is no law against it. Why create a law for a problem that could exist in theory but does not exist in reality?
(June 26, 2018 at 8:18 am)robvalue Wrote:
(June 26, 2018 at 8:06 am)johan Wrote: You can now, and always could, refuse to serve someone simply because you don't like them. I think you're a jerk, get out of my shop. Perfectly legal. So this changes nothing as far as slippery slopes go.

Sure, in that case I don't think things should be that way. The cake guy can just say he doesn't like the gay couple, telling them to get out. This nullifies the whole idea of protected groups.

Oh, it can be more devious than that. The cake guy see's what he believes are two gays (they are), knows most are democrats and says I don't serve democrats. From what I've seen in PEW research this could also be applied to blacks.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(June 26, 2018 at 9:43 am)mh.brewer Wrote:
(June 26, 2018 at 8:18 am)robvalue Wrote: Sure, in that case I don't think things should be that way. The cake guy can just say he doesn't like the gay couple, telling them to get out. This nullifies the whole idea of protected groups.

Oh, it can be more devious than that. The cake guy see's what he believes are two gays (they are), knows most are democrats and says I don't serve democrats. From what I've seen in PEW research this could also be applied to blacks.
You're right, a business owner could do that. Now show me one that actually has.
(June 26, 2018 at 9:51 am)johan Wrote:
(June 26, 2018 at 9:43 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Oh, it can be more devious than that. The cake guy see's what he believes are two gays (they are), knows most are democrats and says I don't serve democrats. From what I've seen in PEW research this could also be applied to blacks.
You're right, a business owner could do that. Now show me one that actually has.

Wait for it.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I'm not losing sleep, just discussing things.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(June 25, 2018 at 3:14 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Apparently some see this as a perfectly reasonable action. I don't, not when you're out trying to live your own life.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...e5714148cb

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/393874...lic-spaces

What do the rest of you think and where would you draw the line?

I disagree with the notion itself. However, if we're living in a country where a person can be refused service because of their sexual orientation, then political party is fair game. It does make people more informed consumers, that's for sure.
(June 26, 2018 at 10:20 am)Shell B Wrote:
(June 25, 2018 at 3:14 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Apparently some see this as a perfectly reasonable action. I don't, not when you're out trying to live your own life.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...e5714148cb

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/393874...lic-spaces

What do the rest of you think and where would you draw the line?

I disagree with the notion itself. However, if we're living in a country where a person can be refused service because of their sexual orientation, then political party is fair game. It does make people more informed consumers, that's for sure.

I don't think you can refuse service based on sexual orientation.  Like if a gay person asked for a birthday cake, you couldn't refuse because they are gay.  But if a straight person asked for a gay wedding cake for a friend, you could refuse because it's for a gay wedding.  That's my understanding, anyways.  

The product has to be related to the religious belief.  

Which if we're apples to apples'ing it, you could refuse to cater an RNC event, as it opposes your political beliefs.  But you couldn't refuse someone service because they are a republican.

Not that it matters, since there are no protections for politics.  Just that the comparison isn't quite what people are saying it is, I don't think.
I don't personally see a difference between being a douche over religion and being a douche over politics.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Those Political Memes Foxaèr 832 64764 May 8, 2024 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The Political Zoo Foxaèr 7 932 December 10, 2023 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  When is political violence justified? FrustratedFool 54 3133 September 8, 2023 at 7:38 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Are you looking forward to Political Christmas in 2024 on 24th/25th December? Woah0 9 890 December 3, 2022 at 7:49 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Does Social Issues matter when deciding your political affiliation? T.J. 48 3151 April 21, 2022 at 9:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Are you Anti-Political? Disagreeable 52 2486 April 7, 2022 at 1:12 am
Last Post: Oracle
  political strategy Hillbillyatheist 23 2034 January 12, 2022 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Spongebob
  That Political Scene Foxaèr 4 696 September 27, 2021 at 6:33 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 7108 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Republican Party Purge Foxaèr 11 763 April 15, 2021 at 11:27 am
Last Post: onlinebiker