Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 2:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Republican Party Purge
Republican Party Purge
The Republican Party Must Be Purged Like the Nazis and Fascists
commondreams.org
Quote:President Joe Biden has largely given up on trying to negotiate anything with Republicans. There's a good reason for this: the GOP is no longer a legitimate political party.

One of the most comprehensive and well respected surveys of political parties worldwide is called the Global Party Survey and came out of work done at Harvard in the US and Sydney University in Australia. The researchers note: "Drawing on survey data gathered from 1,861 party and election experts, the study uses 21 core items to estimate key ideological values, issue positions, and populist rhetoric for 1,127 parties in 170 countries."

What they found was that the Democratic Party in the US is fairly solidly within the norms for political parties in fully developed countries around the world. It resembles normal and legitimate parties in Canada and most of Western Europe.

The Republican party, however, both behaves and is ideologically most similar to Hungary's Fidesz party, Turkey's AKP party and Poland's PiS party.

Read further:

RE: Republican Party Purge
Quote:The GOP is no longer a legitimate political party.

^So much this. Political parties have platforms which they hope will become policies which they hope to turn into laws. The GOP have none of these, they are simply obstructionists.

I doubt very much, though, that an actual purge will be needed. As long as the republicans continue to camp out on the far right and refuse to become centre-right, they will keep sliding into insignificance.

And if they DO become centre-right, they’ll effectively be Democrats. It wouldn’t surprise me if, in ten years or so, the GOP will have all the political clout of the proverbial bucket of warm piss. USian politics will remain a two-party system, but those parties will be Democrats and Progressive Liberals.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 14, 2021 at 7:01 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

^So much this. Political parties have platforms which they hope will become policies which they hope to turn into laws. The GOP have none of these, they are simply obstructionists.

I doubt very much, though, that an actual purge will be needed. As long as the republicans continue to camp out on the far right and refuse to become centre-right, they will keep sliding into insignificance.

And if they DO become centre-right, they’ll effectively be Democrats. It wouldn’t surprise me if, in ten years or so, the GOP will have all the political clout of the proverbial bucket of warm piss. USian politics will remain a two-party system, but those parties will be Democrats and Progressive Liberals.

Boru

That would be great, but ~1/4 of the population would still be shitty actors.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(April 14, 2021 at 7:01 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

Boru

Of course, that said, the whole “sliding into insignificance” thing will hinge on them not being able to disenfranchise voters or gerrymandering their districts so they remain in power.

If that doesn’t happen, well, here’s another prediction for what might happen in 10 years:

Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(April 14, 2021 at 11:06 am)Rev. Rye Wrote:
(April 14, 2021 at 7:01 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: ^So much this. Political parties have platforms which they hope will become policies which they hope to turn into laws. The GOP have none of these, they are simply obstructionists.

Boru

Of course, that said, the whole “sliding into insignificance” thing will hinge on them not being able to disenfranchise voters or gerrymandering their districts so they remain in power.

If that doesn’t happen, well, here’s another prediction for what might happen in 10 years:

Gerrymandering won’t save them. Americans on the right are beginning to realize that the GOP - despite their claims to the contrary - are not the party of working people. I grant that  it’ll take a concerted effort by Democrats to hammer this home, but the erosion has already begun. 

And the current disenfranchisement efforts are going to hurt Republicans more than it’ll help them. Corporations pay a high price to own members of Congress, and they’ve already made their displeasure known.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
"Your guys" won an election.

Whoop de doo....

It doesn't mean the end of the world for the opposition.

Trust me on this -- they will kick "your" party's ass once again - and then it will be your turn to whine and cry about stolen elections - and their turn to predict your party's demise.

@Eleven Most of us are anorexic, suggesting that we purge is just mean.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Quote:"Your guys" won an election.
Yup in a landslide 

Quote:Whoop de doo....
Nope it's significant 

Quote:It doesn't mean the end of the world for the opposition.
Well from the way their acting I would have to disagree.

Quote:Trust me on this -- they will kick "your" party's ass once again
The trend says otherwise.

Quote:and then it will be your turn to whine and cry about stolen elections 
Never happen only Republicans would think of a conspiracy that dumb.

Quote:and their turn to predict your party's demise.
Nope

Sorry to burst your bubble but history isn't a cycle.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(April 14, 2021 at 5:36 pm)onlinebiker Wrote: "Your guys" won an election.

Whoop de doo....

It doesn't mean the end of the world for the opposition.

Trust me on this -- they will kick "your" party's ass once again - and then it will be your turn to whine and cry about stolen elections - and their turn to predict your party's demise.

Welcome back.

Boru
(April 14, 2021 at 6:05 pm)SUNGULA Wrote:
Quote:and then it will be your turn to whine and cry about stolen elections 
Never happen only Republicans would think of a conspiracy that dumb.

I think he might be thinking about the fact that the left complained about the fact that the electoral college is a fucked-up system that's, in recent memory, managed to put two extremely unpopular presidents into the White House who didn't even win the popular vote (this happened in 2000 and 2016, in case Biker's going to askWink and points about voter suppression happening that are not only verifiable, but that at least since 1965, seems to be almost exclusively be backed by Republican politicians or that just seem to come about organically in states that have voted Republican in every election since before I was born; and comparing them with the conspiracy theories that Republicans cooked up after they lost in 2020, and concluding that both sides' concerns are equally invalid. 

But somehow, Biker seems to either ignore or legitimately not understand that there's a way to differentiate whether certain claims are valid: by checking them against external reality. Things like:
  • The last two times a Republican has won the popular vote were in 2004 and 1988. The second one happened before I was born.
  • The Republican party has decided to focus their attention on pandering to straight white men and alienating (at best) everybody else.
  • Because the proportion (though not sheer numbers) of white people in America's population is falling, there probably won't be another election where they win the popular vote unless A) they change their stragegy, or B) they actively shape who gets to vote and who doesn't.
  • As of last month, 43 states have introduced 250 bills to reduce access to polls, and most, if not all, have been introduced by Republicans.
  • Pointing to the Jim Crow days when it was the Democrats who reduced access to the polls in the South means absolutely nothing when, currently, it's the Republican Party who's invariably doing it.
And, meanwhile, of all the claims that Republicans who were convinced that Biden stole the 2020 elections from Trump have advanced, the only one that holds up to any scrutiny is that, well, more people voted for Biden than Trump.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Who will be next Republican presidential candidate? Fake Messiah 28 1564 June 13, 2022 at 2:49 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Republican Representative compares his party's fight to Imperial Japanese Soldiers Rev. Rye 2 283 November 24, 2020 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The Republican America Foxaèr 19 1153 November 23, 2020 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  If your senator is Republican... Gawdzilla Sama 5 591 October 5, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 1515 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  trump the republican asks communist china to investigate his potential election rival Anomalocaris 10 1073 October 4, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Former Republican Rick Wilson Nails It Minimalist 4 627 August 26, 2018 at 2:42 am
Last Post: Amarok
  The Iowa Republican Party platform. Jehanne 14 1444 August 20, 2018 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Refusing service because of political party. brewer 212 30879 July 11, 2018 at 3:18 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Republican advisor made a woman a sex slave Rev. Rye 67 8044 April 12, 2018 at 10:40 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye