Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 9:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death Penalty
RE: Death Penalty
(March 16, 2019 at 4:52 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(March 16, 2019 at 4:49 pm)Mermaid Wrote: What the hell?

I see no reason why the state should compensate the victims.

I think you must have quoted the wrong post.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
(March 16, 2019 at 4:41 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(March 16, 2019 at 4:30 pm)Mermaid Wrote: Against it. It's barbaric and hypocritical, and it does nothing to deter crime or increase the safety of citizens.

Are you being dense? You aren't answering my question. No more platitudes, please.

Yep. Wrong quote. I'll get the chair for this!
(March 16, 2019 at 4:52 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(March 16, 2019 at 4:49 pm)Mermaid Wrote: What the hell?

I see no reason why the state should compensate the victims.
I just gave 3 reasons
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(March 16, 2019 at 5:28 pm)Amarok Wrote:
(March 16, 2019 at 4:52 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: I see no reason why the state should compensate the victims.
I just gave 3 reasons

Now try for some rational ones.
(March 16, 2019 at 5:30 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(March 16, 2019 at 5:28 pm)Amarok Wrote: I just gave 3 reasons

Now try for some rational ones.
My answers are rational
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

(March 16, 2019 at 5:31 pm)Amarok Wrote:
(March 16, 2019 at 5:30 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Now try for some rational ones.
My answers are rational

No, they were emotional.
(March 16, 2019 at 5:32 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(March 16, 2019 at 5:31 pm)Amarok Wrote: My answers are rational

No, they were emotional.

Again no they were not . There was emotional consideration in them because of course there would be . But they had a rational basis .

Inuit Proverb

LOL...
(March 15, 2019 at 7:11 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I think sme peope are better off dead, my problem is when they kill the wrong person. If you go to jail and are later found to be innocent you can claim compensation and damages, if you are dead that's it.

I think so too.  However, I don't want to be the person who decides. If I'm unwilling, it seems immoral to me to pass the buck. I'm also acutely aware that US courts seem to get it wrong far too often. (ok, once is once too often for the dead person)

I know, we pass the buck all the time. One of the most egregious examples I can think of is lethal injection: The person is first give an injection to paralyse the muscles. This for the benefit of the witnesses . Seems the process is actually very painful, but the person is paralysed, so suffering does not show on face or body.

Hanging is  instant death if done properly.  The most humane form of which I'm  aware is the Russian system. The prisoner is not told he is about to be executed. He is walked, by a single guard, into a cell, where the guard promptly shoots him in the back of the neck**

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((9))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

An anecdote: In the army, Singapore, Selerang barracks.  My barracks were about 3 km up the road from Changi prison, where executions take place. At that time, members of the public could get  a ticket to attend. Singapore uses an unusual form of hanging: instead of a drop, it's a rapid lift into the air, at the end of a long beam ,like a catapult, same principle
One of my mates, a  Vietnams combat vet, decided he'd quite like to see that.  We he returned, his face was an unusual shade of green. All he would say was for no one else to go..

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))0)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

**from a documentary on Andrei Chikatilo, Russia's most prolific serial killer, with over 50 murders.

There is a also very good telemovie with Steven Rea and  Donald Sutherland, called "Citizen X"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Chikatilo
I'm with the death penalty because without it, we'll leave the soul of the victim not avenged, also the living will have to suffer the consequences of the killer doing it again -even to other inmates-.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Death Penalty ErGingerbreadMandude 76 13305 September 1, 2015 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  The Death Penalty! ib.me.ub 44 14651 November 16, 2010 at 4:49 pm
Last Post: theVOID