Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Death Penalty!
The Death Penalty!
Well I know controversial topics always seem to go well so I thought id post this little thread.

What do you all think of the death penalty for high level criminals & consistent re-offenders.

Personally, I beleive these people are a detriment to society and should be dispatched accordingly. None of this wait 30 years at the tax payers expense, they should be disposed of immediately and efficiently.

What are high level crimianls, murders, rapists, pedophiles consisitent re-offenders etc good for. They are just a burden on society. I realise I may not have explained this topic in depth, and may have even missed bits, but what do you think......

Edit: If you would like me to ellaborate, just ask.

Edit: I also understand it isn't a very nice topic.
RE: The Death Penalty!
(November 13, 2010 at 8:29 am)ib.me.ub Wrote: Well I know controversial topics always seem to go well so I thought id post this little thread.

What do you all think of the death penalty for high level criminals & consisitent re-offenders.

Personally, I beleive these people are a detriment to society and should be dispatched accordingly. None of this wait 30 years at the tax payers expense, they should be disposed of immediately and efficiently.

What are high level crimianls, murders, rapists, pedophiles consisitent re-offenders etc good for. They are just a burden on society. I realise I may not have explained this topic in depth, and may have even missed bits, but what do you think......

Edit: If you would like me to ellaborate, just ask.

Edit: I also understand it isn't a very nice topic.
The death penalty will certainly be a controversial topic of discussion on this forum...but definitely interesting, and worthy of discussion, nonetheless.

I think for killers, and serial killers like Timothy McVey, Ted Bundy, Charles Manson, (who barely escaped the death penalty when California banned capital punishment), John Wayne Gacey, pedophiles, and child murderers...the death penalty would be equitable justice.

"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.
(November 13, 2010 at 8:29 am)ib.me.ub Wrote: What do you all think of the death penalty for high level criminals & consisitent re-offenders.

Ok here's my thoughts on the subject..

1. Death penalty is perfectly ok

2. The current laws which dictate it are not.

And it's that simple.

But to ellaborate on that.. if I was running the show i'd move drug addicts out of prison and onto forced rehab programs, i'd arrange rehabilitation and work programs for people who committ a crime because they have no money- both drug/poverty related crimes include murder, if you kill someone because you're an addict or you want their wallet, then it may suck but you need rehab.

Prisons are essentially useless places afterall that serve no purpose except to get revenge on whatever person for whatever perceived offence agaisnt whatever degenerate society. Its far crueller to inprison someone for life than it is to just cut their throat and be done with it, right? Given the choice between 100 years in prison or death, i'd definately choose death, but that's just me I suppose.

The death penality i think should exist only for serial killers, sex offenders and outright psychopaths- including corrupt businessmen, financiers and politicians since these people don't committ crimes out of addiction or poverty, they do it for the lolz, they deserve to be terminated. ASAP.

Angry Lynch Mob
[Image: cassandrasaid.jpg]
In general, I support the concept but not the practice of the DP.

"Beyond a reasonable doubt" is simply not good enough when the state kills someone.

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/mostpopular/...2avLQ.cspx

Quote:Members of the Innocence Project released findings in the case of convicted killer, Claude Jones, who was executed in 2000.

A recent DNA analysis on one hair from the crime scene found it did not belong to jones, but instead may have come from the victim.

Jones was found guilty of the 1989 killing of liquor store owner Allen Hilzendager. The victim was shot point blank during the robbery

(November 13, 2010 at 11:39 am)Minimalist Wrote: In general, I support the concept but not the practice of the DP.

"Beyond a reasonable doubt" is simply not good enough when the state kills someone.

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/mostpopular/...2avLQ.cspx

Quote:Members of the Innocence Project released findings in the case of convicted killer, Claude Jones, who was executed in 2000.

A recent DNA analysis on one hair from the crime scene found it did not belong to jones, but instead may have come from the victim.

Jones was found guilty of the 1989 killing of liquor store owner Allen Hilzendager. The victim was shot point blank during the robbery

They found human heads in jeffrey dahmers fridge.
This I think goes from reasonable doubt to 'yup he dun it'

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Quote:"Beyond a reasonable doubt" is simply not good enough when the state kills someone.

Please name something that is 100% perfect and without flaws. What is the number of innocent people that are wrongly convicted, compared to the number of people that are actuallyguilty. The actual percentages are probably very small.

To take the ultra humanitaruim approach dosen't work for the greater good in this instance. What abouit the scores of hard criminals filling up our jails and costing the public millions of dollars to support them, for what, killing, raping, buggering children, theiving, assulting, destroying public & private property etc, etc, etc......

And you say, what about the one that was innocent. What about the 1000's that arn't in comparison. Should we just build more jails and the tax payers expense. No way, they are blight to a normal society and should be puinished in the harshest manner.

Nothing can ever be perfect, but it can be a damn sight lot better than filling our jails and empting our pockets.

And as for ultra human rights activists, they are a bad as the criminals themselves. It reminds me of some religious fanatic saying 'all human life is precious'.
I do not believe death penalty has any genuine additional deterrence effect against the sort of crimes to which they are applied in the western world as judged from the risk calculus of committing the crime. However, it is much more costly to apply even compared to incarceration for life. So I think there is no utilitarian justification for death penalty in the contemporary western systems of norms and values of human life, unless one were to put a high value purely on uncalculating vindictiveness.

I think ironically death penalty is probably easier to justify in systems whose values allows it to be applies it to wide range of crimes of economic and property nature, For example in China now, or in Europe of up to early 19th century. In these cases death penalty probably has significant deterrence effect in the risk calculus of the commission of the crime.

Sorry, ib. Can't go along with you when it comes to the state killing someone for expediency. BTW, as in the Texas case, what it means is that the real killer is still out there.

On a second point, you have your cost figures mixed up. DP cases are far more expensive that simply locking he guy up forever. In fact, a number of states ( New Mexico comes immediately to mind) have begun discontinuing DP cases as a cost saving mechanism.

Lastly, DNA evidence ( provided the cops don't falsify it) video camera images, a confession, catching someone in the act, etc) would all provide a level of surety which is not always present in DP cases. What the Innocence Project has found is that many cases are made on the basis of eye-witness testimony alone. Far too many people are about as observant as a loaf of bread. That, however, does not stop some prosecutor from using them as the sole source of evidence.
(November 13, 2010 at 12:31 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Sorry, ib. Can't go along with you when it comes to the state killing someone for expediency. BTW, as in the Texas case, what it means is that the real killer is still out there.

On a second point, you have your cost figures mixed up. DP cases are far more expensive that simply locking he guy up forever. In fact, a number of states ( New Mexico comes immediately to mind) have begun discontinuing DP cases as a cost saving mechanism.

Lastly, DNA evidence ( provided the cops don't falsify it) video camera images, a confession, catching someone in the act, etc) would all provide a level of surety which is not always present in DP cases. What the Innocence Project has found is that many cases are made on the basis of eye-witness testimony alone. Far too many people are about as observant as a loaf of bread. That, however, does not stop some prosecutor from using them as the sole source of evidence.

It would be more humane if the death penalty was carried out as soon as the sentence was passed.(cheaper too)

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I agree with Min. besides I am of the opinion that it would be far more annoying to live the rest of your life in jail then to be killed sometime before you would have died naturally.
[Image: siggy2_by_Cego_Colher.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Death Penalty fredd bear 51 4134 March 19, 2019 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: fredd bear
  Death Penalty ErGingerbreadMandude 76 13018 September 1, 2015 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho