Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 7:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Putting it in my mouth
RE: Putting it in my mouth
The last of the bairin breac and tea.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Seasoning and vacuum sealing the Mahi Mahi for sous vide later. Different people argue both for and against seasoning before sous vide. I won't be cooking it for a few hours, so I thought resting in the fridge already seasoned so the flavors can sink in sounded like a good idea. Oil or butter in the bag is another point people disagree on. I decided to add butter. Might be overkill. I'm planning to cover the fillets in a jalapeno-butter sauce once cooked.

So many possibilities. So much to learn.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(November 21, 2021 at 2:18 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Seasoning and vacuum sealing the Mahi Mahi for sous vide later. Different people argue both for and against seasoning before sous vide. I won't be cooking it for a few hours, so I thought resting in the fridge already seasoned so the flavors can sink in sounded like a good idea. Oil or butter in the bag is another point people disagree on. I decided to add butter. Might be overkill. I'm planning to cover the fillets in a jalapeno-butter sauce once cooked.

So many possibilities. So much to learn.

Yeah, learning never ceases.  I've been cooking for 60 years, and am still learning new stuff. Yesterday I saw a video about air fryers. I should have known, but they cook the same way an oven does, by convection.  Yes, I have one, and find it good for some things, but don't use it a lot..
If it's meat, boil it til it falls off the bone. If it's veg, boil it til it loses its shape.

(Joking. I'm a dab hand in the kitchen, though I say it as shouldn't)

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 21, 2021 at 5:20 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: If it's meat, boil it til it falls off the bone. If it's veg, boil it til it loses its shape.

Boru

Not as funny as it sounds. Was once that way, still is for many. Wouldn't let you near my kitchen 

I have a a facsimile edition of Mr's Beeton's Cooker Book of 1912. (Mrs Beeton actually died in 1865) Among many other things it recommends boiling cabbage for 45 minutes.  It was the foundation of English (and Australian )stodge.  The book gives the cost of each recipe, which is helpful.   Cool

The book best known as Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, also published as Mrs Beeton's Cookery Book, is an extensive guide to running a household in Victorian Britain, edited by Isabella Beeton and first published as a book in 1861. Previously published in parts, it initially and briefly bore the title Beeton's Book of Household Management, as one of the series of guide-books published by her husband, . The recipes were highly structured, in contrast to those in earlier cookbooks. It was illustrated with many monochrome and colour plates.

Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management - Wikipedia
(November 21, 2021 at 6:12 pm)Oldandeasilyconfused Wrote:
(November 21, 2021 at 5:20 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: If it's meat, boil it til it falls off the bone. If it's veg, boil it til it loses its shape.

Boru

Not as funny as it sounds. Was once that way, still is for many. Wouldn't let you near my kitchen 

I have a a facsimile edition of Mr's Beeton's Cooker Book of 1912. (Mrs Beeton actually died in 1865) Among many other things it recommends boiling cabbage for 45 minutes.  It was the foundation of English (and Australian )stodge.  The book gives the cost of each recipe, which is helpful.   Cool

The book best known as Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management, also published as Mrs Beeton's Cookery Book, is an extensive guide to running a household in Victorian Britain, edited by Isabella Beeton and first published as a book in 1861. Previously published in parts, it initially and briefly bore the title Beeton's Book of Household Management, as one of the series of guide-books published by her husband, . The recipes were highly structured, in contrast to those in earlier cookbooks. It was illustrated with many monochrome and colour plates.

Mrs Beeton's Book of Household Management - Wikipedia

I’m familiar with Mrs. Beeton, primarily through the Sherlock Holmes connection.

Boru
Mahi Mahi in a jalapeno butter sauce with broccoli on the side. It worked well, but I made one mistake. I used smoky hot Paprika in the sauce, so it was hotter than it should have been.

Sous vide is amazing, though. So glad that I decided to try it.
(November 21, 2021 at 10:07 pm)Angrboda Wrote: Mahi Mahi in a jalapeno butter sauce with broccoli on the side.  It worked well, but I made one mistake.  I used smoky hot Paprika in the sauce, so it was hotter than it should have been.

Sous vide is amazing, though.  So glad that I decided to try it.

That sounds downright wonderful.

It's 1302 and I've just had a piggy lunch; Oven French fries (The little ones) and a meat pie.(150gm) 

Here, a pie is often savoury. In this case; minced beef (allegedly)  with a thick gravy, short crust base , flaky top.  They've been an  Aussie fast food choice for over 100 years.   The other was fish and chips. Hamburgers weren't a thing  until the 60's, at the earliest. Same goes for hot dogs***.

***We still don't have hot dogs that much. We have pop dogs.  A long roll is impaled on a heated spike and left there for a couple of minutes. Then butter is smeared inside, along with tomato sauce, mustard or whatever, then the hotdog sausage, which has been steamed. Can't tell you how disappointed I was with the hot dog I bought from a street cart on Mahattan.
I bought a package of those in the pharmacy.

[Image: Sprt.png]

It's usually for people who suffer from malnourishment as a substitute for food and is supposed to contain all the nutrients that the body needs for a day (vitamins, protein, carbs, iron). I was curious and just wanted to try it. Although different from the picture, it is chocolate flavor, and I can taste chocolate and fish oil. And it's a $15 meal for the whole day.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
They had me drink that stuff when I was rehabilitating from the loss of my fingers. I'd drink it regularly if they paid for it, but ouch, the price.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Star Wars plot holes? Wash your mouth out! ignoramus 3 533 May 23, 2019 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  "putting time in perspective," and some fun facts! Catholic_Lady 49 9569 July 15, 2015 at 9:55 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Putting Creed's Humanism Back thesummerqueen 5 3169 December 19, 2012 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  School putting too much emphasis on sports passionatefool 15 6422 November 10, 2011 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious