Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 12:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Noteworthy News
RE: Noteworthy News
White former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin pleaded guilty on Wednesday in a federal court in Minnesota to charges he violated George Floyd's civil rights during the Black man's murder, reversing his not-guilty plea in September.

Chauvin, 45, entered his guilty plea in the U.S. District Court. Prosecutors asked the judge to sentence Chauvin to 25 years in prison, which would run concurrent to his state sentence, adding on about 2 years, The New York Times reported.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government...021-12-15/
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 15, 2021 at 12:27 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 15, 2021 at 12:17 pm)Irreligious Atheist Wrote: I defended the justice system which says you're innocent until proven guilty. Nothing more. That's as far as I'm going to go into that because at this point it's a safe bet that writing anything more about that will be purposely misinterpreted to ban me. The fact that I only got 3 minor slaps on the wrist and short timeouts and was not truly banned shows that the accusations made against me were extremely iffy at best. If I had actually ever come close to defending the "r" word, you can bet your ass I'd have been banned for real, in a second, and there wouldn't be multiple posters making the argument in my defense that the bannings were unjustified. I have been posting on different atheist forums for over a decade and a half now, and in that time, I never received even a warning on a forum for breaking any rules, until I ran into one particular mod on here. I behave myself and always follow the rules.

You have a perfectly reasonable take about BLM. It's too bad more people can't just respond in a level headed way like you have here. You disavow what they said about Smollett, but you think that overall the movement is needed, and I agree. Protest is a good thing. Black lives do need to matter more, and I actually think it's a pretty catchy slogan and a good one. I've gotten crap on here for disagreeing with the BLM org though, and Antifa people attempting to burn down court houses. The responses are always "Why are you even bringing this up? You're racist for even mentioning that the BLM org is flawed or that attempting to burn down court houses is bad. Stop playing the victim and bringing up news I'd rather not hear about, etc, etc." And no one can ever actually point out one racist thing they think I've posted. All they can do is say that I like Dave Chappelle so I hate trans people or I find some conservative comic to be entertaining so therefore I am guilty by association. I agree with Vaush that the organization should have been called something different from the actual movement to avoid this mess a bit. And thankfully only 18 % of Americans support the BLM orgs mission to defund the police https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli...599232001/ , and that includes 81 % of black Americans, but if you go against defund the police on AF, you are branded as not caring about blacks people's issues. See the issue here? No one can respectfully disagree anymore. Like I posted before, if this thread was meant for only posting negative news about conservatives and anything else is unacceptable, then let's tip the hat to Minimalist and rename the thread "Damned conservatives".

I stole the Q Anon comparison from comedian Andrew Schulz, so credit to him. The culture is clowning the BLM org big time right now. What's more likely? Q-Anon's claims that Bill Clinton got it on with minors, or the BLM orgs insinuation that the police framed Jussie Smollett? They're both pretty bad, I would say. Obviously it's not a one to one comparison saying they are the exact same thing, but the BLM org still continuing to back Smollett as being set up is a massive mistake optically, and shows that leadership is incapable of separating emotion and blind racist allegiance from the evidence at hand.

Funny how you never actually give any quotes of me supposedly being bigoted, but you keep making that claim.

You said Asians and Hispanics are ‘in the white family’. If that’s not bigotry, it’ll do til some comes along.

Boru

How is that racist? Hispanics are in the white family. Millions of them identify as white. What is your issue with that exactly? The word family? Family is racist now? And plenty of Western Asians are half white or even more than half white. They can choose to identify as either Asian, white, or both. This stuff is fluid. And because of their success level, some are no longer grouping Asians in the POC category, and instead are grouping them with whites and measuring their performance in school against POCs and such. Asians and whites are similar in that both groups have a large amount of privilege, and that's why I said technically it's white/Asian privilege, but I'm fine with just narrowing it down to white privilege and calling it that. https://reason.com/2020/11/16/equity-rep...-of-color/
(December 15, 2021 at 12:27 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: You said Asians and Hispanics are ‘in the white family’. If that’s not bigotry, it’ll do til some comes along.

Boru

Given that Hispanics tend to be descendants of Europeans who settled the New World and that, with this in mind, the issue of “race” is so stupefyingly complicated (note: in Brazil, it’s even stranger because darker skinned people can even earn the right to become officially white) that the US Census Bureau just counts Hispanics as their own weird little category different from the typical conception of race, IA does sort of have a point with them.

That said, linking Asians in the same category (not to mention the implication that whiteness is some sort of biological fact) reeks more of drawing a sort of social line in the sand than anything else, although, I have to admit, it’s not that common that I find bigots putting Latinos on the “right” side of that line.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(December 15, 2021 at 12:38 pm)Irreligious Atheist Wrote:
(December 15, 2021 at 12:27 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: You said Asians and Hispanics are ‘in the white family’. If that’s not bigotry, it’ll do til some comes along.

Boru

How is that racist? Hispanics are in the white family. Millions of them identify as white. What is your issue with that exactly? The word family? Family is racist now? And plenty of Western Asians are half white or even more than half white. They can choose to identify as either Asian, white, or both. This stuff is fluid. And because of their success level, some are no longer grouping Asians in the POC category, and instead are grouping them with whites and measuring their performance in school against POCs and such. Asians and whites are similar in that both groups have a large amount of privilege, and that's why I said technically it's white/Asian privilege, but I'm fine with just narrowing it down to white privilege and calling it that. https://reason.com/2020/11/16/equity-rep...-of-color/

It’s both funny and sad that you don’t understand what you write. I don’t think I can help you with that.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 15, 2021 at 12:17 pm)Irreligious Atheist Wrote:
(December 15, 2021 at 2:05 am)Rev. Rye Wrote: Weren't you actually banned for saying he should have been acquitted even if he was guilty because you hate his alleged victim that much? No, defending an innocent black man shouldn't be against the rules, and Huggy Bear being a fervent defender of Bill Cosby (who I'm fairly certain has a far more damning case against him) without any bannings that I'm aware of should be a testament to that (the fact that, as far as I can tell, he just treats it as something Cosby didn't do and not something that was either okay or not a big deal, and doesn't seem to blame the women who say Cosby assaulted him for anything, should help matters.)

As for Jussie Smollett and BLM, It's overall a good movement. I just think the org made a mistake in defending him. I can get that they'd be skeptical of anything the cops do, but after everything that's come out, Hell, after Jussie said that his alleged assailants called Chicago, of all places, a city where 83% of the electorate went for Hillary in the most recent election, "Trump Country," I just think the org made a bad take.

I'm not even going to pretend I know what Jussie Smollett should get. Part of me thinks he should go to jail for crimes against optics alone, but at least the George Floyd killing undid what damage his horseshit did to the cause. At this point, I'd say that if his little stunt tanks his career without jail time, that would be sufficient.

I defended the justice system which says you're innocent until proven guilty. Nothing more. That's as far as I'm going to go into that because at this point it's a safe bet that writing anything more about that will be purposely misinterpreted to ban me. The fact that I only got 3 minor slaps on the wrist and short timeouts and was not truly banned shows that the accusations made against me were extremely iffy at best. If I had actually ever come close to defending the "r" word, you can bet your ass I'd have been banned for real, in a second, and there wouldn't be multiple posters making the argument in my defense that the bannings were unjustified. I have been posting on different atheist forums for over a decade and a half now, and in that time, I never received even a warning on a forum for breaking any rules, until I ran into one particular mod on here. I behave myself and always follow the rules.

You have a perfectly reasonable take about BLM. It's too bad more people can't just respond in a level headed way like you have here. You disavow what they said about Smollett, but you think that overall the movement is needed, and I agree. Protest is a good thing. Black lives do need to matter more, and I actually think it's a pretty catchy slogan and a good one. I've gotten crap on here for disagreeing with the BLM org though, and Antifa people attempting to burn down court houses. The responses are always "Why are you even bringing this up? You're racist for even mentioning that the BLM org is flawed or that attempting to burn down court houses is bad. Stop playing the victim and bringing up news I'd rather not hear about, etc, etc." And no one can ever actually point out one racist thing they think I've posted. All they can do is say that I like Dave Chappelle so I hate trans people or I find some conservative comic to be entertaining so therefore I am guilty by association. I agree with Vaush that the organization should have been called something different from the actual movement to avoid this mess a bit. And thankfully only 18 % of Americans support the BLM orgs mission to defund the police https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli...599232001/ , and that includes 81 % of black Americans who don't want to defund them, but if you go against defund the police on AF, you are branded as not caring about blacks people's issues. See the issue here? No one can respectfully disagree anymore. Like I posted before, if this thread was meant for only posting negative news about conservatives and anything else is unacceptable, then let's tip the hat to Minimalist and rename the thread "Damned conservatives".

I stole the Q Anon comparison from comedian Andrew Schulz, so credit to him. The culture is clowning the BLM org big time right now. What's more likely? Q-Anon's claims that Bill Clinton got it on with minors, or the BLM orgs insinuation that the police framed Jussie Smollett? They're both pretty bad, I would say. Obviously it's not a one to one comparison saying they are the exact same thing, but the BLM org still continuing to back Smollett as being set up is a massive mistake optically, and shows that leadership is incapable of separating emotion and blind racist allegiance from the evidence at hand.

(December 15, 2021 at 11:21 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: We also didn’t intend for this to be a platform for you to spout your bigoted, ignorant rhetoric.

Awty makes a fine point. You go ahead with your nonsensical nuttery, and we’ll get on with managing this Forum.

Boru

Funny how you never actually give any quotes of me supposedly being bigoted, but you keep making that claim.

If you want your punishments harder...we can probably manage that.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(December 15, 2021 at 8:06 am)brewer Wrote:
(December 15, 2021 at 12:35 am)Irreligious Atheist Wrote: Imagine pretending that BLM, who is pretty much the most talked about organization in America, telling people that they believe a proven fake hate crime perpetrator because of his skin colour (the equivalent logically to denying the Holocaust or claiming that Hillary Clinton is running a sex ring in the basement of a pizza parlour, or putting out a statement during the OJ Simpson murder trial calling him honourable and saying OJ should be believed because melanin), who was one of the few most talked about people in America when this fake hate crime first started to unravel, does not qualify as noteworthy news. Imagine pretending that. People here, including yourself I assume, put a lot of faith in BLM, so I guess it's to be expected that people are acting pretty cranky and throwing a bit of a fit now that their favourite organization just lost all credibility, completely exposed themselves, and sabotaged their own movement by denying the Holocaust. I'll give you your space to vent.

That's your own twisted opinion, not news. Fuck off.
Couldn't have said it better myself  Great

(December 15, 2021 at 11:21 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 15, 2021 at 8:54 am)Irreligious Atheist Wrote: I said BLM did the same thing, not Brewer, although he seems bothered by the posting of the news for some reason. If the mods intend this thread to be only for posting news about and criticizing conservatives, then the mods should edit the title of the thread to specify that. There is overwhelming evidence that Smollett set the whole thing up, just like there is overwhelming evidence that the Holocaust happened. This is where the Q-Anon comparison comes in. BLM is pretending that Jussie is being set up by the police, when that's clearly not the case.

We also didn’t intend for this to be a platform for you to spout your bigoted, ignorant rhetoric.

Awty makes a fine point. You go ahead with your nonsensical nuttery, and we’ll get on with managing this Forum.

Boru
Truth  Great

(December 15, 2021 at 12:27 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 15, 2021 at 12:17 pm)Irreligious Atheist Wrote: I defended the justice system which says you're innocent until proven guilty. Nothing more. That's as far as I'm going to go into that because at this point it's a safe bet that writing anything more about that will be purposely misinterpreted to ban me. The fact that I only got 3 minor slaps on the wrist and short timeouts and was not truly banned shows that the accusations made against me were extremely iffy at best. If I had actually ever come close to defending the "r" word, you can bet your ass I'd have been banned for real, in a second, and there wouldn't be multiple posters making the argument in my defense that the bannings were unjustified. I have been posting on different atheist forums for over a decade and a half now, and in that time, I never received even a warning on a forum for breaking any rules, until I ran into one particular mod on here. I behave myself and always follow the rules.

You have a perfectly reasonable take about BLM. It's too bad more people can't just respond in a level headed way like you have here. You disavow what they said about Smollett, but you think that overall the movement is needed, and I agree. Protest is a good thing. Black lives do need to matter more, and I actually think it's a pretty catchy slogan and a good one. I've gotten crap on here for disagreeing with the BLM org though, and Antifa people attempting to burn down court houses. The responses are always "Why are you even bringing this up? You're racist for even mentioning that the BLM org is flawed or that attempting to burn down court houses is bad. Stop playing the victim and bringing up news I'd rather not hear about, etc, etc." And no one can ever actually point out one racist thing they think I've posted. All they can do is say that I like Dave Chappelle so I hate trans people or I find some conservative comic to be entertaining so therefore I am guilty by association. I agree with Vaush that the organization should have been called something different from the actual movement to avoid this mess a bit. And thankfully only 18 % of Americans support the BLM orgs mission to defund the police https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/poli...599232001/ , and that includes 81 % of black Americans, but if you go against defund the police on AF, you are branded as not caring about blacks people's issues. See the issue here? No one can respectfully disagree anymore. Like I posted before, if this thread was meant for only posting negative news about conservatives and anything else is unacceptable, then let's tip the hat to Minimalist and rename the thread "Damned conservatives".

You said Asians and Hispanics are ‘in the white family’. If that’s not bigotry, it’ll do til some comes along.

Boru
Lots of other examples

(December 15, 2021 at 1:11 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote:

Boru

Given that Hispanics tend to be descendants of Europeans who settled the New World and that, with this in mind, the issue of “race” is so stupefyingly complicated (note: in Brazil, it’s even stranger because darker skinned people can even earn the right to become officially white) that the US Census Bureau just counts Hispanics as their own weird little category different from the typical conception of race, IA does sort of have a point with them.

That said, linking Asians in the same category (not to mention the implication that whiteness is some sort of biological fact) reeks more of drawing a sort of social line in the sand than anything else, although, I have to admit, it’s not that common that I find bigots putting Latinos on the “right” side of that line.
It's just bigot doublespeak

(December 15, 2021 at 1:12 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 15, 2021 at 12:38 pm)Irreligious Atheist Wrote: How is that racist? Hispanics are in the white family. Millions of them identify as white. What is your issue with that exactly? The word family? Family is racist now? And plenty of Western Asians are half white or even more than half white. They can choose to identify as either Asian, white, or both. This stuff is fluid. And because of their success level, some are no longer grouping Asians in the POC category, and instead are grouping them with whites and measuring their performance in school against POCs and such. Asians and whites are similar in that both groups have a large amount of privilege, and that's why I said technically it's white/Asian privilege, but I'm fine with just narrowing it down to white privilege and calling it that. https://reason.com/2020/11/16/equity-rep...-of-color/

It’s both funny and sad that you don’t understand what you write. I don’t think I can help you with that.

Boru
You could fill the Library OF Congress with IA ignorance and inability to understand things

(December 15, 2021 at 12:27 pm)brewer Wrote: White former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin pleaded guilty on Wednesday in a federal court in Minnesota to charges he violated George Floyd's civil rights during the Black man's murder, reversing his not-guilty plea in September.

Chauvin, 45, entered his guilty plea in the U.S. District Court. Prosecutors asked the judge to sentence Chauvin to 25 years in prison, which would run concurrent to his state sentence, adding on about 2 years, The New York Times reported.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/government...021-12-15/
Good I'm happy to hear that  Great
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Bruce Springsteen sold his music rights for $500 million.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
It is tragic that people treat toys like they are always harmless. Even passenger jets will not attempt a launch in high winds. Someone galactically dropped the ball on this. And this is not the first time things like this have happened.

5 kids die in Tasmania as bouncy castle gets blown into the air by high winds. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/15/world...mania.html
(December 16, 2021 at 6:43 pm)Brian37 Wrote: It is tragic that people treat toys like they are always harmless. Even passenger jets will not attempt a launch in high winds. Someone galactically dropped the ball on this. And this is not the first time things like this have happened.

No one ‘dropped the ball’. The weather forecast was for light winds. The gust that lifted the bouncy castle into the air was unforeseen and unavoidable. This was what is known as ‘an accident’.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 16, 2021 at 6:55 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 16, 2021 at 6:43 pm)Brian37 Wrote: It is tragic that people treat toys like they are always harmless. Even passenger jets will not attempt a launch in high winds. Someone galactically dropped the ball on this. And this is not the first time things like this have happened.

No one ‘dropped the ball’. The weather forecast was for light winds. The gust that lifted the bouncy castle into the air was unforeseen and unavoidable. This was what is known as ‘an accident’.

Boru

Yea they did, the owners of the inflatable house business, and the parents who were not paying attention to weather conditions. Everyone has TVs and can watch the weather hours and days before hand. But even if you want to call it an accident, it still would amount to a product default. Even in passenger jet accidents, even if not pilot error, the FAA still investigate to insure better procedure, protocol and improvement on product.

Yes accidents happen, but again, with this product, this was not the first time something like this happened.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 4421 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "News" Which Is Not "News" To Anyone Minimalist 0 537 May 24, 2018 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Fox news its just pure idiocy its not news its Satire dyresand 3 1602 May 17, 2015 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Brian37