Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 9:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Noteworthy News
RE: Noteworthy News
(October 28, 2023 at 3:15 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(October 27, 2023 at 1:54 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: The 2024 Teslas are available already:

[Image: tesla-ht-07-jpo-181220_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg?w=384]

Boru

I am no fan of Musk at all. But it still remains the world needs to move away from burning fossil fuels regardless. 

Electric cars aren't the solution. Mass public transport, electrified, is.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home
(November 4, 2023 at 12:58 pm)GUBU Wrote:
(October 28, 2023 at 3:15 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I am no fan of Musk at all. But it still remains the world needs to move away from burning fossil fuels regardless. 

Electric cars aren't the solution.  Mass public transport, electrified, is.

There is no single solution, there needs to be a multi-faceted approach. Electric cars, mass transport, wind farms, solar farms, natural fertilizers, re-forestation…all of these (and more) need to be part of the programme if we want to be serious about addressing the climate crisis.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 4, 2023 at 1:09 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(November 4, 2023 at 12:58 pm)GUBU Wrote: Electric cars aren't the solution.  Mass public transport, electrified, is.

There is no single solution, there needs to be a multi-faceted approach. Electric cars, mass transport, wind farms, solar farms, natural fertilizers, re-forestation…all of these (and more) need to be part of the programme if we want to be serious about addressing the climate crisis.

Boru

Yep, mass transit won't work here, not nearly enough population density. A lot of kids need to be driven to a collection point for school buses to be justified.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 28, 2023 at 3:15 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I am no fan of Musk at all. But it still remains the world needs to move away from burning fossil fuels regardless. 

Unpossible in the USA. It would take several hours on public transit to get to my office. It's located 15 miles west of Boston, 42 miles door to door from my house. As it is, on a good day it's about 75 minutes to and 100 minutes from work each day. This ain't Tokyo.
(November 6, 2023 at 8:39 am)Nanny Wrote:
(November 4, 2023 at 12:58 pm)GUBU Wrote: Electric cars aren't the solution.  Mass public transport, electrified, is.

Unpossible in the USA. It would take several hours on public transit to get to my office. It's located 15 miles west of Boston, 42 miles door to door from my house. As it is, on a good day it's about 75 minutes to and 100 minutes from work each day. This ain't Tokyo.

I would have to drive about 30 minutes, depending on traffic, to even get to a mass transit station.  A couple places that I considered working would require a minimum of an hour on DART then about a 20 minute walk. Would not work for me.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

How do you get the groceries home on a subway? Ans: Not easily.

Mass transit is best when the mass isn't in transit.
Quote:A shooter fired 22 shots into a crowd in Cincinnati, Ohio, on Friday, killing an 11-year-old boy and wounding four other children and an adult, according to local authorities.

The Cincinnati Police Department on Sunday said the occupant of a sedan fired 22 rounds in “quick succession” shortly before 9:30 p.m. Friday in Cincinnati’s West End.

The 11-year-old boy was pronounced dead at the scene, while the five other victims were transported to local hospitals for treatment. The Associated Press reported a 53-year-old woman, three boys aged 12, 13 and 15, and a 15-year-old girl were the people wounded in the shooting.

As of Sunday, one victim remained in the hospital in stable condition, police said.

Cincinnati Mayor Aftab Preval told reporters Sunday the city’s West End community is “shattered by the reality” that a child was taken from them due to a deadly weapon on the streets.

“Twenty-two rounds were fired, 22 rounds in a moment into a crowd of kids,” Preval said during a press conference. “No time to respond, no time to react. That is the reality that these kids have to live through. And the reality, the trauma that they will have to deal with for the rest of their lives. ”

https://thehill.com/homenews/4295119-boy...-shooting/

(November 6, 2023 at 12:51 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
Quote:A shooter fired 22 shots into a crowd in Cincinnati, Ohio, on Friday, killing an 11-year-old boy and wounding four other children and an adult, according to local authorities.

The Cincinnati Police Department on Sunday said the occupant of a sedan fired 22 rounds in “quick succession” shortly before 9:30 p.m. Friday in Cincinnati’s West End.

The 11-year-old boy was pronounced dead at the scene, while the five other victims were transported to local hospitals for treatment. The Associated Press reported a 53-year-old woman, three boys aged 12, 13 and 15, and a 15-year-old girl were the people wounded in the shooting.

As of Sunday, one victim remained in the hospital in stable condition, police said.

Cincinnati Mayor Aftab Preval told reporters Sunday the city’s West End community is “shattered by the reality” that a child was taken from them due to a deadly weapon on the streets.

“Twenty-two rounds were fired, 22 rounds in a moment into a crowd of kids,” Preval said during a press conference. “No time to respond, no time to react. That is the reality that these kids have to live through. And the reality, the trauma that they will have to deal with for the rest of their lives. ”

https://thehill.com/homenews/4295119-boy...-shooting/

Don't worry about it, guns keep you safe!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Quote:MOSCOW, Nov 7 (Reuters) - Russia on Tuesday formally withdrew from a landmark security treaty which limited key categories of conventional armed forces, blaming the United States for undermining post-Cold War security with the enlargement of the NATO military alliance.

The 1990 Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe (CFE), signed a year after the fall of the Berlin Wall, placed verifiable limits on categories of conventional military equipment that NATO and the then-Warsaw Pact could deploy.

The treaty was designed to prevent either side of the Cold War from amassing forces for a swift offensive against the other in Europe, but was unpopular in Moscow as it blunted the Soviet Union's advantage in conventional weapons.

Russia suspended participation in the treaty in 2007 and halted active participation in 2015. More than a year after the full-scale invasion of Ukraine, President Vladimir Putin in May signed a decree denounced the pact.

Russia's foreign ministry said Russia had formally withdrawn from the pact at midnight - and that the treaty was now "history".

"The CFE Treaty was concluded at the end of the Cold War, when the formation of a new architecture of global and European security based on cooperation seemed possible, and appropriate attempts were made," the ministry said.

Russia said the U.S. push for enlargement of NATO had led to alliance countries "openly circumventing" the treaty's group restrictions, and added that the admission of Finland into NATO and Sweden's application meant the treaty was dead.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/rus...023-11-07/

This is a really dumb decision on the part of the Russians. Given the economic and industrial strength of the West, not to mention the larger population, this treaty in effect limited the Western powers to Russian limitations. Now those limits are lifted from the West. They can outbuild Russia legally as well as effectively, now.

Of course, the fact that Russia's losing its ass in Ukraine only makes this decision even dumber.

[quote='Thumpalumpacus' pid='2178275' dateline='1699372926']
Quote:Of course, the fact that Russia's losing its ass in Ukraine only makes this decision even dumber.

But now Pukin can blame the US for the Russian failures.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 4415 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  "News" Which Is Not "News" To Anyone Minimalist 0 537 May 24, 2018 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Fox news its just pure idiocy its not news its Satire dyresand 3 1602 May 17, 2015 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Brian37