Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 6:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Benevolent Creator God?
RE: Benevolent Creator God?
Doesn't seem to be much of a deity, then.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Think of it this way.......God is the manager of some business, and He gets a lot of written requests, made by people who want Him to do certain things. Some requests would be easy to fulfill, while others would be more difficult. But since He is God, He isn't obligated to fulfill any of the requests, let alone the more difficult ones. But He would still like to answer some of the requests, so naturally, He chooses the easier ones, and ignores the more difficult ones. I would do the same thing. Why drive yourself up a wall trying to make people happy if you don't have to?
"Imagination, life is your creation"
(October 2, 2021 at 10:10 am)Ahriman Wrote: Silly prayers get answered far more often than more serious prayers, because God finds the silly prayers more manageable. In other words, closer to his power level.

Poe’s Law is real.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(October 2, 2021 at 5:49 am)Ahriman Wrote: God isn't really "benevolent", just powerful, with a strong preference for order. If you're familiar with the D&D alignment system, God would be Lawful Neutral. He doesn't prefer good over evil, or evil over good. He listens to the prayers of good and evil people alike, and answers them according to how much the person deserves to have his/her prayer(s) answered.

What is it that would make one person deserving of having their prayers answered and another not deserving?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
The incompetent god of minimum effort, doing as little as it can to avoid the painful truth that there's much it can't.

Doesn't sound like it's an issue of rights at all, you just don't think god can bring their kids back. Neither do I. He can, however, steal some candy for you. Allegedly.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 2, 2021 at 10:38 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: The incompetent god of minimum effort, doing as little as it can to avoid the painful truth that there's much it can't.

Doesn't sound like it's an issue of rights at all, you just don't think god can bring their kids back.  Neither do I.   He can, however, steal some candy for you.  Allegedly.
In a manner of speaking, yes, that's how it works.
(October 2, 2021 at 9:03 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(October 2, 2021 at 8:51 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Yours, maybe, but not mine.  Add supernatural favoritism to the list, I guess?
He knows you don't believe in Him, which is His justification for not answering your prayers.

In what way is that a justification? Gravity works whether I believe in it or not. Why does God need me to believe in him to answer my prayers? Is this like the shyness effect in parapsychology?
(October 2, 2021 at 10:42 am)Angrboda Wrote:
(October 2, 2021 at 9:03 am)Ahriman Wrote: He knows you don't believe in Him, which is His justification for not answering your prayers.

In what way is that a justification?  Gravity works whether I believe in it or not.  Why does God need me to believe in him to answer my prayers?  Is this like the shyness effect in parapsychology?
"Gravity" and "God's Grace" are completely different things. And as Nudger pointed out, people who don't believe in God probably wouldn't be praying to Him in the first place.
(October 2, 2021 at 10:48 am)Ahriman Wrote:
(October 2, 2021 at 10:42 am)Angrboda Wrote: In what way is that a justification?  Gravity works whether I believe in it or not.  Why does God need me to believe in him to answer my prayers?  Is this like the shyness effect in parapsychology?
"Gravity" and "God's Grace" are completely different things. And as Nudger pointed out, people who don't believe in God probably wouldn't be praying to Him in the first place.

That's not an answer. Plenty of people who don't believe pray for things when they get desperate. You haven't given a reason why God shouldn't answer their prayers.

Nor did you answer what makes one person's prayer deserving of being answered and another person's not deserving.

My suspicion is that you don't know. You just say shit that sounds good to you without thinking it through.
(October 2, 2021 at 10:51 am)Angrboda Wrote:
(October 2, 2021 at 10:48 am)Ahriman Wrote: "Gravity" and "God's Grace" are completely different things. And as Nudger pointed out, people who don't believe in God probably wouldn't be praying to Him in the first place.

That's not an answer.  Plenty of people who don't believe pray for things when they get desperate.  You haven't given a reason why God shouldn't answer their prayers.

Nor did you answer what makes one person's prayer deserving of being answered and another person's not deserving.

My suspicion is that you don't know.  You just say shit that sounds good to you without thinking it through.
God doesn't answer desperate prayers, it's beneath Him. What those desperate people are doing, is like only hitting up an ugly girl when you need sex and can't get a girl you actually want. God is very prideful, He won't allow Himself to be treated like that ugly girl.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christian argued that everything must have a creator jcvamp 125 24095 December 17, 2015 at 4:47 pm
Last Post: Nontheist
  Is "being the creator of everything" an essential characteristic of the xtian god? Whateverist 16 4290 October 6, 2014 at 6:25 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12692 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  God get's angry, Moses changes God's plans of wrath, God regrets "evil" he planned Mystic 9 6741 February 16, 2012 at 8:17 am
Last Post: Strongbad