Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 4:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
Random Humorous Things - A Light-Hearted Thread
RE: Random Humorous Things - A Light-Hearted Thread
[Image: B1G5NdFh.jpg]
(August 27, 2016 at 9:15 pm)Stimbo Wrote: [Image: tumblr_m4dwb9VYbD1qg317go1_400.jpg]

No... please do enlighten us, o keeper of wisdom.

Nothing a little searching won't find for you.

http://www.biblesecrets.org/METAPHOR.htm
"WATER" the most frequently used metaphor

"Water," representing truth and knowledge, is probably the most frequently used metaphor in the Old Testament

So what can you intuit about "walking on water" and "turning water into wine"?

It also has a connection to the word "prophet"

The ordinary Hebrew word for prophet is nabi , derived from a verb signifying "to bubble forth" like a fountain; hence the word means one who announces or pours forth the declarations of God. The English word comes from the Greek prophetes (profetes ), which signifies in classical Greek one who speaks for another , especially one who speaks for a god , and so interprets his will to man; hence its essential meaning is "an interpreter." The use of the word in its modern sense as "one who predicts" is post-classical. The larger sense of interpretation has not, however, been lost. In fact the English word ways been used in a closer sense. (Underlining added)
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
Anyone who gives a flying fox, please raise your third hand.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 27, 2016 at 10:01 pm)Arkilogue Wrote:
(August 27, 2016 at 9:15 pm)Stimbo Wrote: [Image: tumblr_m4dwb9VYbD1qg317go1_400.jpg]

No... please do enlighten us, o keeper of wisdom.

Nothing a little searching won't find for you.

http://www.biblesecrets.org/METAPHOR.htm
"WATER"  the most frequently used metaphor

"Water," representing truth and knowledge, is probably the most frequently used metaphor in the Old Testament

So what can you intuit about "walking on water" and "turning water into wine"?

It also has a connection to the word "prophet"

The ordinary Hebrew word for prophet is nabi , derived from a verb signifying "to bubble forth" like a fountain; hence the word means one who announces or pours forth the declarations of God. The English word comes from the Greek prophetes (profetes ), which signifies in classical Greek one who speaks for another , especially one who speaks for a god , and so interprets his will to man; hence its essential meaning is "an interpreter." The use of the word in its modern sense as "one who predicts" is post-classical. The larger sense of interpretation has not, however, been lost. In fact the English word ways been used in a closer sense.  (Underlining added)

*chuckle* I'm always entertained by the number of theists who go to such great lengths to demonstrate that the Bible doesn't mean what it says.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 27, 2016 at 10:09 pm)Stimbo Wrote: Anyone who gives a flying fox, please raise your third hand.

Flying floxes.

Used to love those as a kid!
(August 27, 2016 at 10:14 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: *chuckle*  I'm always entertained by the number of theists who go to such great lengths to demonstrate that the Bible doesn't mean what it says.

Boru
Well, taking a cue from the "main man" of the bible story, did Jesus teach in a direct manner? Or did he use metaphor and allegory to teach only those with ears to hear? Was it ever a common thing or even an art back then to conceal life processes and human archetypes in story form?

Several books of the bible quite clearly state all is not yet revealed, and there is more to come.
*cue. "Que" means "what".
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 27, 2016 at 11:24 pm)Stimbo Wrote: *cue. "Que" means "what".

Thanks for the correction!
(August 27, 2016 at 11:23 pm)Arkilogue Wrote:
(August 27, 2016 at 10:14 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: *chuckle*  I'm always entertained by the number of theists who go to such great lengths to demonstrate that the Bible doesn't mean what it says.

Boru
Well, taking a cue from the "main man" of the bible story, did Jesus teach in a direct manner?  Or did he use metaphor and allegory to teach only those with ears to hear?  Was it ever a common thing or even an art back then to conceal life processes and human archetypes in story form?

Several books of the bible quite clearly state all is not yet revealed, and there is more to come.

I'm of the camp that Jesus didn't teach anything to anyone, ever, in any style or manner.

But we aren't talking about parables, are we? Your lot try to explain away some of the more ludicrous stories in the Bible as metaphor, simply because they're uncomfortable - or even damning - if read any other way. But the sweetness-and-light bits you take as literal. Can't have it both ways, pal.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 28, 2016 at 1:25 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(August 27, 2016 at 11:23 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: Well, taking a cue from the "main man" of the bible story, did Jesus teach in a direct manner?  Or did he use metaphor and allegory to teach only those with ears to hear?  Was it ever a common thing or even an art back then to conceal life processes and human archetypes in story form?

I'm of the camp that Jesus didn't teach anything to anyone, ever, in any style or manner.

But we aren't talking about parables, are we?  Your lot try to explain away some of the more ludicrous stories in the Bible as metaphor, simply because they're uncomfortable - or even damning - if read any other way.  But the sweetness-and-light bits you take as literal.  Can't have it both ways, pal.

Boru

The "bible" is a collection of 66 books written by 40 authors over a period of several thousand years, several times abridged from a collection of over 600 books from many different authors, reduced through the perspective of a single tribe, with striking resemblance to many of the creation stories that preceded it.

You tell me how to "have it".

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just some random thoughts Sigiere 1 657 May 22, 2023 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Random tank chatter robvalue 21 3340 April 1, 2016 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  The "You really mustn't derail this thread" thread. Edwardo Piet 69 8638 January 19, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The "You really must derail this thread" thread. Marsellus Wallace 20 4063 January 19, 2016 at 7:15 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Random revolutionary ideas HorribleOffensiveScouser91 3 2732 November 26, 2012 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: jonb
  WTF Photos (Humorous Edition) thesummerqueen 16 7059 October 26, 2012 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Faith No More