Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 1:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bellwether, is that really a thing?
Bellwether, is that really a thing?
In all my time paying attention in politics over the decades, the word "Bellwether" is a word used by political pundits and news media. But it it really like predicting the weather?

Just like the "cone of uncertainty" when meteorologists and weather anchors predict the path of a hurricane. Of course that "cone" in weather is far more accurate than political predictions. 

I was shocked that Trump won in 16. All the indicators were pointing to Hillary. But in 2019 everyone on the right thought Trump would win.
RE: Bellwether, is that really a thing?
(November 2, 2021 at 6:43 pm)Brian37 Wrote: In all my time paying attention in politics over the decades, the word "Bellwether" is a word used by political pundits and news media. But it it really like predicting the weather?

Just like the "cone of uncertainty" when meteorologists and weather anchors predict the path of a hurricane. Of course that "cone" in weather is far more accurate than political predictions. 

I was shocked that Trump won in 16. All the indicators were pointing to Hillary. But in 2019 everyone on the right thought Trump would win.

WUT?

bellwether
[ˈbelˌweT͟Hər]
NOUN
the leading sheep of a flock, with a bell on its neck.

WTF moment for today.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

[Image: 5-F1-ED44-D-D1-CA-4319-9-E2-A-7534-AECD41-E8.jpg]
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
Oh, okay. I think he’s talking about this:

https://politicaldictionary.com/words/bellwether/

I’ll retract my Brule meme. For now…
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(November 2, 2021 at 6:43 pm)Brian37 Wrote: In all my time paying attention in politics over the decades, the word "Bellwether" is a word used by political pundits and news media. But it it really like predicting the weather?

Yes, it’s a real thing. No, it’s not like predicting the weather.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Only when it' s in accordance with the dualopoly....

Dixville Notch NH used to be considered a leading bellwether for the US Presidential election - until it went nearly unanimously for the Libertarian candidate..... 

The media has soundly ignored them since...
Looking up Dixville Notch, it doesn't seem like it was ever much of a Bellwether. The closest it came was voting for Dubya and Obama in both of their elections. Well, that and predicting the Republican candidate between 1968 and 2008 (plus 2012 if you count the Romney-Huntsman tie). And the only time I can find them overwhelmingly voting Libertarian was in 1992, but that was only because they decided to hold a Libertarian primary that year. When the general election came, Bush Sr. won overwhelmingly in Dixville Notch.

It seems their significance is more in the fact that they're one of a handful of communities that holds its votes at midnight (and certainly the largest of those communities) and often the first to report their results.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(November 3, 2021 at 3:47 pm)Rev. Rye Wrote: Looking up Dixville Notch, it doesn't seem like it was ever much of a Bellwether. The closest it came was voting for Dubya and Obama in both of their elections. Well, that and predicting the Republican candidate between 1968 and 2008 (plus 2012 if you count the Romney-Huntsman tie). And the only time I can find them overwhelmingly voting Libertarian was in 1992, but that was only because they decided to hold a Libertarian primary that year. When the general election came, Bush Sr. won overwhelmingly in Dixville Notch.

It seems their significance is more in the fact that they're one of a handful of communities that holds its votes at midnight (and certainly the largest of those communities) and often the first to report their resulats.

Yup. But oddly enough - for a number of elections however DN voted - so did the nation.....

Enough so they got regular national media attention....

Until 1992...
If that’s true, it must have stopped sometime before 1960, because I’m looking at the results history since then, and the 2000-2016 results are the longest streak I could find. And 1992 is the only election where the Libertarians scored above a major party candidate, and George H.W. Bush still beat Andre Marrou 15-5. (And Perot beat Clinton 8-2.) If you can find alternate numbers, I’d be willing to see them.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about choice and laws in the USA ShinyCrystals 7 1017 October 15, 2023 at 10:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Aren't Judaism and Aryanism the same thing? Sweden83 63 2724 December 4, 2020 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: no one
  Is preserving languages a good thing? FlatAssembler 21 2561 November 4, 2020 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Is corruption mostly a good thing? FlatAssembler 26 2042 December 16, 2019 at 9:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Trump did a good thing by humiliating Saudi Arabia WinterHold 24 4083 July 1, 2019 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Two Old Pros - Doing Their Thing Minimalist 8 1050 November 28, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Saudi Arabia as USA ally is not a bad thing Rignia 6 974 November 25, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  This is officially the funniest thing Trump has ever said Aegon 12 1550 September 19, 2018 at 11:57 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  I've finally figured out what's with this wall thing. Gawdzilla Sama 18 2086 August 1, 2018 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Dumbest thing a Trump supporter has told you NuclearEnergy 0 693 January 21, 2017 at 5:32 am
Last Post: NuclearEnergy