Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 6:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question regarding proof
RE: A question regarding proof
After reading Fred's replies to Rhythym more closely, I think I can take a guess at the point here. I think what he is saying is that personal experience is by its very nature unprovable objectively, so lack of evidence proving that experience is not a reason to dismiss it.

At least that's what I think he's getting at. Could be wrong.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
But of course it's a reason to dismiss it. How could someone else's personal experience convince me of something?
Like I said, I could be wrong.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
It's the Invisible Pink Unicorn sending him a vision.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Why not try and answer him directly instead of trying to second guess him? You're scared of falling into a trap? Thought so.

I feel like pretending to be a materialist just so he has someone to answer the damn question!

<materialist hat>
No Fred: the pony doesn't exist objectively. As I cannot fathom anything existing that I can't kick that means it cannot exist at all. QED. Now shut the fuck up. Because I said so. OK!?!?!
</materialist hat>

How'd I do everyone? Did I stick him one for the team? eh? eh?
(September 8, 2011 at 6:48 am)Zen Badger Wrote: It's the Invisible Pink Unicorn sending him a vision.

I disagree. We all know it's the FSM. And I'll bet you anything you can't prove me wrong.Smile

(September 8, 2011 at 8:10 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Why not try and answer him directly instead of trying to second guess him? You're scared of falling into a trap? Thought so.

I feel like pretending to be a materialist just so he has someone to answer the damn question!

<materialist hat>
No Fred: the pony doesn't exist objectively. As I cannot fathom anything existing that I can't kick that means it cannot exist at all. QED. Now shut the fuck up. Because I said so. OK!?!?!
</materialist hat>

How'd I do everyone? Did I stick him one for the team? eh? eh?

Thing is fr0d0...Fred can't form a direct question so we are unable to directly answer him. He seems too caught up in 'self' at the moment and doesn't not know where "self" ends and reality begins...does make for some very frustrating dialogue.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Exactly. How can we answer him directly when he's not questioning directly? You might think he's been clear, but EVERYONE else has expressed difficulty grasping what the question or point is. If you think you can clarify, throw us a bone. If not, we'll wait for Fred to see if he can manage it.
Somehow I am thnking that Fred has more issues than being able to respond on a forum of any kind, let alone know how to act in his own private life .... mind you Autism Spectrum Disorder is nothing to be afraid of or ashamed of...my 2c Dunno
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(September 8, 2011 at 8:10 am)fr0d0 Wrote: How'd I do everyone? Did I stick him one for the team? eh? eh?

Nope, you fail.

[Image: FAIL1.jpeg]
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Books regarding atheism TrustMeOrNot 81 7118 November 24, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Tom Fearnley
  What we AF users believe regarding gods. Whateverist 30 5159 July 14, 2014 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Regarding thoughts Ephrium 11 2811 November 23, 2009 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13