Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 10:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question regarding proof
RE: A question regarding proof
(September 9, 2011 at 4:01 pm)Rhythm Wrote: So, on the one hand we have observations, and indeed experiments that show how changes to the brain produce changes in the mind or self, and on the other hand we have the great unknown. I'm not sure I'd call it a leap.

Can you give more information on how the changes in the mind are determined, other than by asking for someones subjective experience? Or are you now saying that someones subjective experience is valid as a tool for determining scientific facts?

We cant observe the effects of a lobotomy by collecting data pre/post? We have to ask the patient if he feels different? A friend of my wife, for example, had surgery for a brain tumor, there is no one among us who can say that he is the same person. Not just how we percieve him, but even the way in which he signs his name has changed. Now, my one example would be insufficient to draw a conclusion. Fortunately we have many such examples, and this has of course been a productive area of nueroscience. We've even had an example of such experiments recently discussed on this forum of how changes in environment, (even without physically jacking with the brain) can cause changes in self (measured by observations of behaviour and activity) in the case of monkeys, rape benches, and the "pit of despair". That there is a direct relationship between the material and the mind is documented extremely well. Examples of the "mind" altering material reality are not so well demonstrated. In fact, given what we know of our universe, it is highly unlikely that such a mechanism could even exist. Again, we could be wrong, and all that would be required to suggest so would be evidence.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 9, 2011 at 4:25 pm)Rhythm Wrote: We cant observe the effects of a lobotomy by collecting data pre/post? We have to ask the patient if he feels different? A friend of my wife, for example, had surgery for a brain tumor, there is no one among us who can say that he is the same person. Not just how we percieve him, but even the way in which he signs his name has changed. Now, my one example would be insufficient to draw a conclusion. Fortunately we have many such examples, and this has of course been a productive area of nueroscience. We've even had an example of such experiments recently discussed on this forum of how changes in environment, even without changes in the brain) can cause changes in self (measured by observations of behaviour and activity) in the case of monkeys, rape benches, and the "pit of despair".

All very emotional instances, but the problem still remains, observation of mind is not possible, only observation of behavior, physical activity and subjective experience. A very simple analogy is a broken radio, if you can't hear the radio station is it correct to assume it is no longer there?

(September 9, 2011 at 4:38 pm)StatCrux Wrote: All very emotional instances, but the problem still remains, observation of mind is not possible, only observation of behavior, physical activity and subjective experience. A very simple analogy is a broken radio, if you can't hear the radio station is it correct to assume it is no longer there?

When the brain itself is the transmitter, yes.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
It would be incorrect to state that you have knowledge of what is playing, at the very least. But lets go with this. You have a broken radio, and so you cannot translate what is coming acrossed the air. Is there no way in which you could detect waves of energy without a radio? Lets call radio waves the immaterial for a moment. Our radio is broken, so we can't get totality of knowledge (the contents of the transmission) without a radio. I'm not demanding the you translate that radio wave to me, I'm asking for evidence that there are waves of energy (contents notwithstanding) before I'm willing to say "Yep, that exists". I don't think that we're actually disagreeing about the same thing here. I'm simply repeating over and over that to claim knowledge of something (even knowledge of existence) one must provide something of substance. I'm not arguing that such things certainly do not exist because we haven't measured them. I'm arguing that the person who claims that they do exist has a burden to meet. It is not my responsibility to prove that the immaterial does not exist. One cannot be expected to be taken seriously when they claim that it exists simply because no one has proven that it does not. In this case, any claim that has within it a justification of why it can never be known is a fairly useless claim isn't it? Moreso if that claim conflicts with anything that can be known and has been repeatedly demonstrated.

I've said this in another one of Freds threads (hell, might have been this one). It may be that faeries make cars move, but combustion is an explanation that addresses why engines operate, and even if there were no fairies, we have no reason to assume that combustion would not work. Now, if someone was arguing for fairies over combustion, how would you treat that argument?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 9, 2011 at 4:42 pm)Rhythm Wrote: It would be incorrect to state that you have knowledge of what is playing, at the very least. But lets go with this. You have a broken radio, and so you cannot translate what is coming acrossed the air. Is there no way in which you could detect waves of energy without a radio? Lets call radio waves the immaterial for a moment. Our radio is broken, so we can't get totality of knowledge (the contents of the transmission) without a radio. I'm not demanding the you translate that radio wave to me, I'm asking for evidence that there are waves of energy (contents notwithstanding) before I'm willing to say "Yep, that exists". I don't think that we're actually disagreeing about the same thing here. I'm simply repeating over and over that to claim knowledge of something (even knowledge of existence) one must provide something of substance. I'm not arguing that such things certainly do not exist because we haven't measured them. I'm arguing that the person who claims that they do exist has a burden to meet. It is not my responsibility to prove that the immaterial does not exist. One cannot be expected to be taken seriously when they claim that it exists simply because no one has proven that it does not.

Ok, I understand your position, my argument is that the nature of thoses "waves" are not detectable with our current understanding, and are of another nature than material. We already have the perfect equipment for detecting thses "waves" our brains. Some individuals have honed their skills to be more "in tune" than the majority of people and try to explain how others can achieve this (mystics). The problem is that until materialism is finally jettisoned most people become closed to the type of "tuning" required as it contradicts their material world view. Until we can create and observe something that is on a par with the human brain we're pretty much in the experiment for yourself zone, which is what buddhists generally say," Don't believe what I say, try and see for youself".

(September 9, 2011 at 1:35 pm)Fred Wrote:

I can't fault with anything you've said. But I must add that in future technology, we could very well trigger a thought in the brain, the kind that, given an electric impulse to neurons ABC,PQR, XYZ, etc. and presto, you see yourself flying to Alpha Centauri. My guess is that a lot of people would pay good money to experience that. Are we that far from such technology? Who knows, but the point is that the possibility of relating brain activity with its content might be just one step away from us.
(September 9, 2011 at 5:02 pm)StatCrux Wrote: Ok, I understand your position, my argument is that the nature of thoses "waves" are not detectable with our current understanding, and are of another nature than material.

How could you know this? On what basis do you postulate their "nature"?

(September 9, 2011 at 4:42 pm)Rhythm Wrote: I've said this in another one of Freds threads (hell, might have been this one). It may be that faeries make cars move, but combustion is an explanation that addresses why engines operate, and even if there were no fairies, we have no reason to assume that combustion would not work. Now, if someone was arguing for fairies over combustion, how would you treat that argument?

I'm beginning to understand Freds frustration now, the combustion engine is an entirely different proposition, we understand how it functions and it generates motion. Human beings do not simply exist and function, we have our existance in concepts, ideas, abstractions etc indeed all of the things that make life worthwhile are of this order, music, poetry, art, love..without these we are not human. Perhaps these are the "fairies" you speak about? Combustion works just fine without these, humans don't. Humans could exist purely on a functional level, only interested in food, warmth, reproduction etc but what makes us truly fully human are those "faeries" of love, art, poetry, music without which we are merely machines.

And yet all evidence seems to suggest that we are machines. Wonderful, fantastic, incredibly sophisticated...but in the end, machines.
(amusingly I was seeking a major in mechanical engineering)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Books regarding atheism TrustMeOrNot 81 7110 November 24, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Tom Fearnley
  What we AF users believe regarding gods. Whateverist 30 5159 July 14, 2014 at 4:21 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Regarding thoughts Ephrium 11 2811 November 23, 2009 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13