Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skyrim Countdown
RE: Skyrim Countdown
10 hours is usually more than it takes to complete a common fps nowadays.
Cunt
The quests in Skyrim can be broken down into two categories: static (i.e. those that were actually programmed into the game), and dynamic (the random spawning quests which lets the game claim to have "infinite" amounts of quests).

The static quests won't get boring, since they are all unique and have some kind of built-in plot. However, from what I've read, the dynamic quests are very much alike, in that they are usually "go kill the people in this cave", or "go collect these ingredients". When I said the quests will quickly become boring, it was the dynamic ones I was talking about, not the static ones relating to some kind of quest line. I doubt I'll ever complete all the static quests, but if I did, I predict that after a while, the dynamic quests would become very predictable and annoying.
The point remains that it is as good as gets for RPGs, at the moment. Nothing else comes close, in my opinion.
(November 14, 2011 at 7:56 pm)Shell B Wrote: The point remains that it is as good as gets for RPGs, at the moment. Nothing else comes close, in my opinion.

I agree, and the same could be said for TES3, and TES4 to a lesser extent. I've played both all the way through (or nearly so) several times, with different play styles (e.g. stealth, combat, or magic oriented).

I'm still playing Morrowind (TES3), years later.

Me too. Morrowind was actually where I picked up playing Elder Scrolls games. I played forever and never got bored with it.
(November 14, 2011 at 8:09 pm)Shell B Wrote: Me too. Morrowind was actually where I picked up playing Elder Scrolls games. I played forever and never got bored with it.

Yeah, I started with Morrowind as well. I found the game of the year edition in a bargain bin for something like $20 and figured I'd give it a shot. I've always been a fan of fantasy RPGs (yep, I was a D&D geek), but never found a PC implementation that did it right, so I didn't play games in the genre for many, many years - other than Lord of the Rings Online.

The $20 I paid for Morrowind (with the two expansions) was money well spent many times over. Compare that to the $10 or so a month to play a typical MMORPG - no comparison at all.

As a rule, I almost never buy games when they're first released, and also almost never pay full price for them. So many games don't have enough content / replay value to make it worth the price in my view. Besides, the game will still be new to me when it's in the bargain bin a year later.

I gladly paid the $60 to pre-purchase TES5, knowing that if it had half the content of Morrowind, and was at least as good as Oblivion, it would easily be worth the price. I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a game (for me, I did buy Little Big Planet 2 for my son).

I have not been disappointed so far - at least in the game, my 6-month old laptop (w/Nvidia 525M) does struggle a bit with it at times.

As an aside, someone needs to make a sub-$1000 laptop with a 17" display and acceptable 3D gaming performance at native resolution.
I'm with you all the way there, though I never play PC games. I just don't like the controls.

I did pay full price for Skyrim, obviously. The only other games I have done so for are the Fable games. I know they are not as good, but they are more of a distraction than largely linear first person shooters. I don't like playing online with others, so I am stuck with the basic gameplay in games like Modern Warfare and MOH. That's why I prefer games like Fable and TES.

I'm bummed about the timing. I have no time for Skyrim right now, but I still wanted it for my down time.
(November 14, 2011 at 8:35 pm)I_Blaspheme Wrote: I have not been disappointed so far - at least in the game, my 6-month old laptop (w/Nvidia 525M) does struggle a bit with it at times.

As an aside, someone needs to make a sub-$1000 laptop with a 17" display and acceptable 3D gaming performance at native resolution.

Might not be your computer. I'm playing on the PS3 and it has frequent framerate hiccups.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 15, 2011 at 12:01 am)Faith No More Wrote: Might not be your computer. I'm playing on the PS3 and it has frequent framerate hiccups.

Yeah, the only bad thing I can say, is that sometimes it feels like you are experiencing a shitload of lagggg.

No doubt this will be patched though.
I've just completed the main quest of Skyrim, and I heard that it's only 1% of the total gameplay. It took me 15 hours to do it. I think it's the side quests and all of the guilds that make up the rest, so really, this is one massive game!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Skyrim: Empire vs Stormcloak discussion. Chad32 14 1710 August 1, 2019 at 8:07 am
Last Post: Chad32
  BOTW vs. Skyrim Mechaghostman2 7 1834 June 19, 2019 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Skyrim Upgrade :D mlmooney89 89 8637 July 13, 2016 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
Heart Skyrim Fenix 10 3883 January 18, 2014 at 2:03 am
Last Post: null--69
  Skyrim's been out a while. Violet 188 62567 September 10, 2013 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Skyrim thesummerqueen 19 4547 March 24, 2013 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Mystical
  New Skyrim DLC Napoléon 86 35962 September 25, 2012 at 8:50 am