Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 6:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Long Will Christians Wait for the End Time to Come?
RE: How Long Will Christians Wait for the End Time to Come?
deep thinker Wrote:
Quote:Again, simply state your belief in the origin of matter.  Then, explain why your belief system is superior to any religion.  You are angry because you realize your belief system is not superior to anyone else.  You have spent a lot of time attacking others because you believe your beliefs (and by the way, having no belief system is a belief) are superior.  It makes you very angry to realize you have zero scientific evidence that your belief system is superior to any religion.

I don't have a belief on the origin of matter, because the origin of matter is unknown. One shouldn't have beliefs about the origins of things whose origin is unknown. There are a number of hypotheses which fit the known evidence and have maths that work, but until such time as enough evidence is obtained to make a particular hypothesis stand out as clearly having enough evidentiary support to accept it as most likely, I shouldn't hold any of them to be 'the true one' in advance of that evidence, which might turn out to lead in a new direction entirely.

Scentific knowledge, unlike religious 'knowledge' has given us pretty much everything humanity has gained in the last three centuries. Every version of God amenable to scientific testing has been shown to lack existence, and the definition of God has shrunk until now the claim is that God can't be detected at all, by any means subject to objective verification. Such versions of God can't be disproven, because all claims about what their observable effect on nature would be have been withdrawn, but so have all reasons to believe any of them are correct, with the exception of bad apologetics which reassure the believer that their faith is reasonable, and which anyone thinking about them critically can take apart with ease.

Not only do I have a belief system, I have multiple interlocking ones. I am a rational skeptic. I am a humanist. I am a secularist. I am a 'liberaltarian'. I figured I'd offer, since you're beating around the bush so much about honestly asking what any of us REALLY believe, instead offering us loaded false dichotomies from which to choose and complaining that we won't take the bait.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How Long Will Christians Wait for the End Time to Come? - by Mister Agenda - August 31, 2015 at 11:55 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What seems to be the latest claim about end times belief Vintagesilverscreen 5 212 May 19, 2024 at 9:52 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  This is the Beginning of the End Serafino 23 2403 November 25, 2023 at 8:24 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1403 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Nailed to a cross, Filipino prays for Ukraine war to end Ferrocyanide 1 565 April 8, 2023 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
Lightbulb the end is nigh 2!!! Drich 113 9269 October 1, 2020 at 7:21 pm
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 8124 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
  In the end, there's just what you personally believe Foxaèr 31 5041 August 12, 2018 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  How long did Jesus spend in Hell? Gawdzilla Sama 43 7302 February 5, 2018 at 2:15 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
Exclamation Christianity is Dead, Long live the rEvolution! Bow Before Zeus 77 15101 December 26, 2017 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Irational fear of hell still naggs me from time to time Arsoo 103 28155 November 9, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb