Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 9:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your thoughts on Satanism and the petition for a Satanic statue.
RE: Your thoughts on Satanism and the petition for a Satanic statue.
(September 9, 2015 at 4:15 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote:
(September 9, 2015 at 3:11 pm)Stimbo Wrote: How about not putting up any religious symbols on public land out of respect? Why has that not occurred to you?

No, no, no, Stimbo. Don't you get it? Only the Christians should be able to make everyone else feel like they're under the thumb of their religious ideologies via symbols placed on public lands like a dog peeing on a fire hydrant.

When the rest of us do something similar, we're being disrespectful, you see. It's so ludicrous I could cry.

Catholic_Lady Wrote:My objection is to the hateful implication of putting a Demon next to the 10 Commandments

You know what's disrespectful, Cath? Trying to put things like the Ten Commandments (either version) on our courthouses and places of lawmaking. Those violate of every precept of our secular, democratic Constitutional Repulic:

1.“You shall have no other gods before me."

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

2. “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below."

or abridging the freedom of speech,

+2."You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments."

nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law

3. "You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name."

or abridging the freedom of speech,

4. "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."

http://www.nfl.com/ Because 'Murka.

5. "Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you."

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/childrens_rights

6. "You shall not murder."

Hey, we found one that's okay! Hooray!

7 "You shall not commit adultery."

Oops. We're actually still fighting over this one.

8. "You shall not steal."

Hooray! We've now found two Commandments which don't violate the U.S. Constitution.

9. "You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor."

Hooray! The total is up to three out of ten.

10. "You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."

So the entire American economic system, then. I happen to agree with Pope Francis on this one.

But my point remains, here, that if you're truly concerned about not putting up religious symbols that are offensive and directly contrary/hostile to the things they stand beside, then nothing could be more so than the Bible itself, in any form, placed next to the monuments of American (Constitutional) government. Christianity, particularly in its Old Testament form, is against everything for which this country was created to stand.

I have no strong feelings either way with the 10 Commandments being there. You guys are acting like I do. I wouldn't care if there was a Buddha, or Mohammed sitting there instead of the 10 Commandments. I simply don't care about that type of thing. It doesn't bother me. I shouldn't get badgered for not caring about this.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your thoughts on Satanism and the petition for a Satanic statue. - by Catholic_Lady - September 9, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satanism seems fun FrustratedFool 50 3054 August 24, 2023 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Petition UK Government Xygov 1 640 September 27, 2021 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Your thoughts on John Gray? Foxaèr 12 3245 May 14, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What are your thoughts on Richard Dawkins? NuclearEnergy 96 13417 December 6, 2017 at 3:06 am
Last Post: Bow Before Zeus
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 27766 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 13149 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Thoughts Torin 2 1038 August 18, 2016 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Remove Bishops from House of Lords - Petition Mr Greene 19 2142 February 9, 2016 at 10:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My thoughts on deepak chopra dyresand 4 1544 October 24, 2015 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Thoughts on origins Kingpin 54 8659 August 12, 2015 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude