Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 5:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your thoughts on Satanism and the petition for a Satanic statue.
RE: Your thoughts on Satanism and the petition for a Satanic statue.
(September 12, 2015 at 12:32 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote:
(September 11, 2015 at 3:38 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: So to address this: "If the roles were reversed, and we lived in a philosophically atheistic society, and atheists put up a monument in front of a courthouse that symbolized the domination of atheism over religion, saying "And this nation has abolished belief in god!" when they did it, you would be screaming your head off as a member of the believing minority."

Now hold on a second here. If you want to compare apples to apples, you'd have to compare the above monument to one that said "And this nation has abolished disbelief in God." Which would be ridiculous since it's untrue. However, if someone wanted to put "The Atheist 10 Commandments" somewhere, I couldn't care less. So long as other religions were allowed to publicly display theirs as well, if they wanted to, I wouldn't care.

Okay, I see what you're saying here. You're saying that the only way my analogy works is if one says "abolished belief" and the other says "abolished disbelief".

Um. No. That's not valid at all. They don't have to have the same wording. They just have to represent the same idea: "ha ha, our belief runs this country, and yours is insignificant and wrong!!"

The fact that you can't grasp that is disturbing to me, so please, please hear me when I say this. Read slowly and carefully:

WE GET THAT YOU ARE NOT BOTHERED BY RELIGIOUS DISPLAYS ALONGSIDE YOURS.

WE GET IT. STOP SAYING IT.

Okay? The issue here is not whether it's okay to place multiple icons up. One issue is that it's either "all" or "none", yes, since the government is required to stay neutral with respect to religion. So of course there's no objection to many religions doing it. But there's a second point that you're skipping over to the point I'm getting really frustrated, and that is that your faith is dominant, so when Christians put up a symbol on the courthouse deliberately placed there to remind people of the domination of Christianity in this culture and meant to give the impression (not my words, the words of those putting it there!) that this is a "Christian nation" and that our laws are subject to the "Moral Lawgiver", then it is a problem.

I spent years writing articles and OpEds against my state politicians for that kind of thing, and they came after me with a vengeance in court, through their cronies (I have no proof or evidence that it was any of the politicians I attacked were involved, except for the fact that there was an extraordinary number of "observers" from the Capital in my courtrooms, just sitting there, and a lot of really shady legal shenanigans went down, and they were delayed as much as possible at every stage, when it came to getting things overturned on appeal). The point is, I have personally experienced why theocratic influence on the legal system is a problem.

The astounding irony of watching you sit here and complain because you feel your religion is "under attack", when in fact it is your faith-brethren using their effective hegemony over the culture who are actually attacking people.

You don't get to be the bully and the martyr at the same time!

I think we've reached a point where there is nothing left to say. You're just repeating yourself, and I'm just repeating myself, and you're getting really sick of me repeating myself lol. The part I bolded that you said I'm missing, I feel like I addressed in the post you're answering to. Not the part you quoted, but somewhere above it. 

Please don't put words in my mouth though. I never said my religion was under attack, neither would I ever say that. I said my only objection to religious/ideological symbols being allowed up on public property was if one was placed to deliberately offend/mock another, so there would just need to be mutual respect.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your thoughts on Satanism and the petition for a Satanic statue. - by Catholic_Lady - September 12, 2015 at 1:13 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Satanism seems fun FrustratedFool 50 2964 August 24, 2023 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Petition UK Government Xygov 1 639 September 27, 2021 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Your thoughts on John Gray? Foxaèr 12 3230 May 14, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What are your thoughts on Richard Dawkins? NuclearEnergy 96 13295 December 6, 2017 at 3:06 am
Last Post: Bow Before Zeus
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 27487 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Thoughts On Atheism and Faith ray3400 107 12971 October 12, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Thoughts Torin 2 1037 August 18, 2016 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: purplepurpose
  Remove Bishops from House of Lords - Petition Mr Greene 19 2116 February 9, 2016 at 10:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My thoughts on deepak chopra dyresand 4 1543 October 24, 2015 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Thoughts on origins Kingpin 54 8599 August 12, 2015 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude