Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 10:29 am

Poll: What determines if an action is moral or immoral?
This poll is closed.
The intention
17.65%
3 17.65%
The consequences
5.88%
1 5.88%
Other
76.47%
13 76.47%
Total 17 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does morality mean to you?
RE: What does morality mean to you?
[Multiple edits!] Thanks for the input everyone Smile

It has become clear that what I refer to as morality is not the same as what some other refer to. That is fine. I'm not sure what I would call these alternate versions, but at least you know what I mean when I say the word morality Smile I'm not claiming mine to be the "correct" definition; simply the one that makes most sense to me regarding the point of the terminology. If you think ISIS sit around thinking, "Haha! We're so evil. We're objectively worse than the West. We're doing exactly what we think is the wrong thing" I think you may be being naive. In fact, what seem to us like crazy societies would probably like to "objectively condemn" the way we go about things just as much as we'd like to condemn them. Who is "right"? Objectively, no one is right, in my definition of morality.

Here is my new refined definition. Thanks to your ideas, I've expanded it beyond simply "intent":

I was waiting for someone to bring up Hitler Tongue

I don't know what was in the mind of Hitler. I can't know whether he truly thought he was doing a good thing or not. He was almost certainly mentally "different" from other people, so his sense of right and wrong was probably unrecognisable to us.

So maybe, yes. From his point of view, if he genuinely thought he was doing a good thing, I would consider him moral from his perspective. It's perfectly possible he was simply manipulating situations to gain power and prestige, not thinking it was of any real benefit to other people. In that case, he was being immoral by his own standards. To me, morality isn't about agreeing with or condoning actions, it's about assessing intent.

Of course, by my standards, he was immoral. If I did what he did, it would be immoral for me. I know everyone wants to be able to objectively call Hitler immoral. It's just that such a phrase doesn't mean anything.

Objectively, he killed lots of people, yes. But we can only objectively "condemn" him if we put ourselves in the position of an ultimate moral authority. We're saying we know exactly how to best measure the wellbeing of life in general. Then someone else could condemn us, using a different standard. It's all relative. Being uncomfortable with morality being relative doesn't stop it being so.

If you're simply measuring the outcome of actions regardless of intent, then I don't think this is morality. It may be that Hitler simply didn't have any morality, he was a psychopath/sociopath. So from his point of view, his actions were amoral.

We condemn Hitler as a society, what he did does not fit with our norms. In another society, it may have fitted perfectly well. I think people mistake these norms for objective morality. Clearly they are not, because they change. To claim that we're somehow at the peak of morality now and know the "best morality" is ludicrous. In the future, people will look back at some things we did with the same disgust we look back at slavery with. So where's the objectivity? I personally condemn several things society says is OK, I try and stay ahead of the norms. Am I objectively more moral than most people in society? Of course, I feel I am more moral by my standards. But other people are doing what they think is moral (or at least not immoral) by their standards. So for me to simply announce I'm morally superior is pointless and incorrect. But again, this is all according to my definition of morality. If morality means something else to you, then you won't agree with my statements. But if you use another word for what I call morality, do you agree with my reasoning?

Examples of non-objective moral situations:

Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Messages In This Thread
What does morality mean to you? - by robvalue - September 16, 2015 at 3:56 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Ashground - September 16, 2015 at 4:31 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by ignoramus - September 16, 2015 at 4:36 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by MTL - September 16, 2015 at 10:39 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Catholic_Lady - September 16, 2015 at 11:00 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by robvalue - September 16, 2015 at 5:03 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Aoi Magi - September 16, 2015 at 6:11 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by robvalue - September 16, 2015 at 6:17 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Aoi Magi - September 16, 2015 at 7:30 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by robvalue - September 16, 2015 at 8:33 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Aoi Magi - September 16, 2015 at 9:26 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by MTL - September 16, 2015 at 10:47 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Kingpin - September 16, 2015 at 10:54 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Catholic_Lady - September 16, 2015 at 9:52 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by paulpablo - September 16, 2015 at 9:59 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by houseofcantor - September 16, 2015 at 11:37 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Captain Scarlet - September 16, 2015 at 2:22 pm
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by robvalue - September 18, 2015 at 3:28 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Pyrrho - September 18, 2015 at 9:26 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by robvalue - September 18, 2015 at 9:46 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Pyrrho - September 18, 2015 at 10:41 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by robvalue - September 20, 2015 at 4:50 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by bennyboy - September 20, 2015 at 6:51 am
RE: What does morality mean to you? - by Grandizer - September 23, 2015 at 6:56 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 2141 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10839 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 39802 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1381 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8423 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3625 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4538 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
  Morality WinterHold 24 3025 November 1, 2017 at 1:36 pm
  What is morality? Mystic 48 7158 September 3, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Morality from the ground up bennyboy 66 11138 August 4, 2017 at 5:42 pm