Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 9:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An argument against elective abortion
RE: An argument against elective abortion
(December 5, 2010 at 8:54 am)ib.me.ub Wrote: Why are Homo sapiens so important, then?

They are not "so important," I said. They are simply the relevant subject vis-à-vis abortion.

(December 5, 2010 at 5:41 pm)The Omnissiunt One Wrote: In that case, to avoid being arbitrary you would have to say that it's wrong to kill any being with the same attributes ...

Only if the argument aims to conclude such a thing. (It is not an argument against wrongful killing in and of itself).

The Omnissiunt One Wrote:You must show the moral significance of Homo sapiens.

The argument assumes the moral significance of Homo sapiens (first premise). But again, one cannot validly take that to mean other species have less or no moral significance; other species simply are not the relevant subject vis-à-vis abortion. Do other species have equal, less, or no moral significance? Is it morally wrong to deliberately kill other innocent creatures? These are interesting but different arguments outside the subject of this one.

The Omnissiunt One Wrote:[A 28-week old fetus] is not a human in a moral sense ...

With regard to this argument, that simply begs the question and is invalid.

The Omnissiunt One Wrote:[Whether or not sexually molesting a coma patient is a moral issue] would depend on the reactions of those close to the patient, the chances of recovery of the patient, and that he or she would find out. Otherwise, no, from my view, not particularly.

The coma patient is a 12-year old child rating a 3 on the Glasgow Coma Scale; those close to the patient are not aware of the act; the patient has a good chance of recovery; the patient would not find out, being deeply unconscious (GCS-3) when it took place. On your view, it is not particularly a moral issue?

The Omnissiunt One Wrote:Because self-awareness provides a being with the desire to continue living, and with the capacity to make plans for the future which would be thwarted if it were killed. That's from a utilitarian perspective.

First, I did not ask about the relevance of self-awareness. I do not see how 'species' is more arbitrary than 'self-awareness'. Second, my criteria incorporates newborn infants while yours does not (as self-awareness does not develop until at least three months of age).

The Omnissiunt One Wrote:Species, however, is entirely arbitrary. If you disagree, you must show why.

Because 'species' is not a matter of personal whim or prejudice, but a matter of scientific fact.

(December 5, 2010 at 7:31 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: Seeds aren't flowers. Eggs aren't chickens. Fetuses (fetusi?) aren't humans. Clear?

A fertilized egg is not a developed chicken, but it is a developing chicken; it is of the species Gallus gallus domesticus. A fetus is not a developed human, but it is a developing human; it is of the species Homo sapiens. Biological references describe human development (biological life cycle of Homo sapiens) as beginning inside the womb; i.e., zygote, blastocyst, embryo, fetus, neonate, infant, toddler, child, adolescent, and adult are all development stages that members of the species Homo sapiens go through. On your view, a 28-week old fetus is not of the Homo sapiens species if it is inside the womb, but is if outside the womb. Does that strike anyone as a biological criterion, or an arbitrary one?

(December 5, 2010 at 7:38 pm)lrh9 Wrote: When you addressed [euthanasia], you changed your original assertion from "The killing of innocent people is morally wrong" to "The killing of innocent people is morally wrong in certain situations."

No, I did not change my first premise. It remains unchanged, "The deliberate killing of innocent humans is morally wrong," with the acknowledgment that exceptions might exist, which I listed and addressed, pointing out that an exception is relevant if and only if elective abortions qualify under it (i.e., an exception that does not incorporate elective abortions, like euthanasia, leaves the argument unaffected).
Man is a rational animal who always loses his temper when
called upon to act in accordance with the dictates of reason.
(Oscar Wilde)

Messages In This Thread
An argument against elective abortion - by Ryft - December 2, 2010 at 6:08 am
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by Tiberius - December 2, 2010 at 6:46 am
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by theVOID - December 2, 2010 at 6:47 am
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by ib.me.ub - December 2, 2010 at 8:06 am
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by downbeatplumb - December 2, 2010 at 8:25 am
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by Strongbad - December 2, 2010 at 1:11 pm
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by Anomalocaris - December 2, 2010 at 10:31 am
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by Minimalist - December 2, 2010 at 12:44 pm
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by lrh9 - December 2, 2010 at 1:18 pm
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by Demonaura - December 2, 2010 at 1:28 pm
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by Lethe - December 2, 2010 at 2:04 pm
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by Demonaura - December 2, 2010 at 2:09 pm
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by Lethe - December 2, 2010 at 2:28 pm
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by DeistPaladin - December 2, 2010 at 3:45 pm
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by padraic - December 3, 2010 at 12:08 am
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by Dotard - December 3, 2010 at 11:18 am
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by thesummerqueen - December 3, 2010 at 11:37 am
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by Anomalocaris - December 3, 2010 at 11:53 am
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by Minimalist - December 3, 2010 at 12:05 pm
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by thesummerqueen - December 3, 2010 at 12:06 pm
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by Minimalist - December 3, 2010 at 9:52 pm
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by leo-rcc - December 4, 2010 at 10:32 am
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by thesummerqueen - December 4, 2010 at 10:46 am
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by Minimalist - December 5, 2010 at 6:49 pm
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by leo-rcc - December 4, 2010 at 10:50 am
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by Ryft - December 5, 2010 at 8:33 am
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by DeistPaladin - December 5, 2010 at 7:31 pm
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by theVOID - December 11, 2010 at 7:25 am
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by ib.me.ub - December 5, 2010 at 8:54 am
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by lrh9 - December 5, 2010 at 7:38 pm
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by Ryft - December 6, 2010 at 12:53 am
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by DeistPaladin - December 6, 2010 at 1:40 am
RE: An argument against elective abortion - by Minimalist - December 28, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  J.J. Thompson's Violinist Thought Experiment Concerning Abortion vulcanlogician 29 1894 January 3, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [Serious] An Argument Against Hedonistic Moral Realism SenseMaker007 25 3274 June 19, 2019 at 7:21 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Argument against Intelligent Design Jrouche 27 3340 June 2, 2019 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  After birth abortion? Mystical 109 9709 August 19, 2018 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8344 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 14163 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 69239 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  2 Birds, 1 Stone: An argument against free will and Aquinas' First Way Mudhammam 1 1162 February 20, 2016 at 8:02 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Abortion -cpr on the fetus? answer-is-42 153 17062 July 5, 2015 at 12:50 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  An argument against God Mystic 37 9256 October 20, 2014 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: TreeSapNest