Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 3:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist
(October 15, 2015 at 8:23 pm)bennyboy Wrote: The difference is that I have direct access to the experience of ideas, and therefore choose idealism as the most sensible default position.  You do not have direct access to the material monism about which you have ideas, unless you pretend that the subjective experience of mind and the objective "reality" of the objects contemplated by mind are identical.
Your direct access might inform you about yourself, but how could it inform you about the universe?   The comments you've made don't lead to or imply idealism as a stance on the fundamental nature of our universe.  If they were more thoroughly argued, more adequately explained, and absolutely true....they only have the power to generate conclusions regarding yourself.

Quote:In essence, you are right.  I cannot prove that there is more than MY experiences.  However, my experiences of others is compelling enough for me to take that they exist-- somehow.  You go this far, and one step further-- declaring that not only do they exist, but they exist in a particular way, in a universe which is founded on material and the principles which arise out of that material (which you must claim since otherwise, matter arises out of immaterial principles, which obviously is antithetical to your position).  I don't find it necessary to take that one extra step; I default to the position that things are as they seem-- and they seem to be experiences.
Yet your experience of what we have labeled "material" is not compelling enough?  That things really do seem to behave in the manner described isn't compelling enough?  That we awarded a nobel prize this year to the gentlemen who established the mass of a nuetrino...isn't compelling to you? Meh, fuck all that anyway, holding to your "black box" metaphor...you cannot extend that conclusion further than yourself.  You've taken a massive step, right off the cliff and down into the chasm.  

Quote:I'm fine with being an agnostic idealist.  It is the gnostic stance of materialists that I find annoying, not so much the idea of materialism itself.  As I have said, the material view is of great utility when I want to have a bridge that doesn't collapse or to invent a new superadhesive polymer or something.
Are you fine with being an agnostic idealist whose reached that position..and who advocates -for- that position, with a composition fallacy?  Doesn't the position deserve better support?  Surely there's some other way......some other reason you find idealism compelling?  If it turned out that you were made of cheese....you'd think the universe was made of cheese, or that it was some use of occams razor to conclude that cheese was a likely or justifiable candidate for the fundamental nature of the universe?  

That's not how logic -or- parsimony work........what am I supposed to say to that?

Materialism -does- have that utility, those bridges standing, those polymers bound.   It explains, and it's explanations achieve work.  That's not the fault of the materialist......maybe you should be annoyed at the universe for appearing to behave as though they were correct?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist - by Cato - September 18, 2015 at 12:16 am
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist - by The Grand Nudger - October 15, 2015 at 11:56 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does a natural "god" maybe exist? Skeptic201 19 1723 November 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3720 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1148 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Do Chairs Exist? vulcanlogician 93 7437 September 29, 2021 at 11:41 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  How to change a mind Aroura 0 295 July 30, 2018 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aroura
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12397 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  All Lives Matter Foxaèr 161 45354 July 22, 2017 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  If Aliens Exist, Where Are They? Severan 21 5231 July 14, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4704 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Is the self all that can be known to exist? Excited Penguin 132 15995 December 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Tonus