Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 1, 2024, 5:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist
(October 16, 2015 at 11:46 am)bennyboy Wrote: That's right.
Then your -explanation- as to why you've defaulted to idealism is plainly wrong, the explanation, mind you, not idealism.  We agree?

Quote:I only call that self evident which is actually self evident-- the existence of mind, and my experiences.  As for waiving. . . I've never waived anything except my right to an attorney.
Fine, who cares?  Materialism and idealism are not positions regarding the existence of those experiences, they are positions regarding their natures.  We agreed, above, that you could not reach a conclusion about the universe by reference to yourself -even if that reference were factual.  Did we not?  

Quote:The cheese example was a bad example.  Try another one.
I disagree, but I think any example I offer you could be called a bad example..firstly, because they are -meant- to be bad examples...and secondly because you have developed a pattern of deflection when your questions are answered, when you are corrected.  

Quote:If I ever claim to know the truth, then please remind me of this.
Like, when you claim that materialism -cannot- be true?  

Quote:
Quote:Do you understand -why- the following statement is wrong:
"Evolution doesn't explain "x", therefore "y""
I haven't made an argument in this form.
Yes, you have, many times.....you're doubling down on it this very moment.  Perhaps I should quote you, and you can make modifications and retractions........perhaps you didn't mean to....that's kind of been my operating assumption this entire time,  the sole reason for and subject of my involvement in the thread.

Quote:
Quote:Do you understand -why- the following statement is wrong:

"I am made of "x", therefore the universe is made of "x"" 
Do you?
I will explain to you again.  It is wrong because we can plug in true propositions and still yield a false outcome.  It is wrong because it violates the stated function of logic.  That is why a fallacy is a fallacy, no other reason in specific.

Quote:You make the assumption that not only do things exist, they exist in a particular fashion-- and not only this, but that their existence as you see it is fundamental to reality.  It's quite the impressive chain of assumptions, actually, since you have no direct interaction with anything but your own mind.
Materialists make no such assumption.  That they exist in a particular fashion is a statement regarding our observations of the material.  We didn't assume that atoms existed, or that subatomic particles existed - we observed them.  

You keep talking about access as though our level of access differed.....we can only work with what we've got.  Are you under the impression that more is required?

Quote:
Quote:As an example, if the question is asked "Why does gravity exist".  I could give you an explanation that assumes a great many things regarding gravitons, or I could simply say "waffles".  Do you lean towards waffles as an explanation for gravity on the grounds that it makes fewer assumptions?
No, I lean toward the idea that gravity, and all other forces, are the expression of immaterial principles, as are QM particles and the objects which supervene on them.

But if I have to choose only between waffles and gravitons, I'd probably choose waffles, because if we are making stuff up, it might as well be delicious stuff.
I doubt that you've managed to miss the point on accident so consistently.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist - by Cato - September 18, 2015 at 12:16 am
RE: Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist - by The Grand Nudger - October 16, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does a natural "god" maybe exist? Skeptic201 19 1808 November 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3862 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1269 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Do Chairs Exist? vulcanlogician 93 7909 September 29, 2021 at 11:41 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  How to change a mind Aroura 0 304 July 30, 2018 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aroura
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12814 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  All Lives Matter Foxaèr 161 46074 July 22, 2017 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  If Aliens Exist, Where Are They? Severan 21 5336 July 14, 2017 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why free will probably does not exist, and why we should stop treating people - WisdomOfTheTrees 22 4808 February 8, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Is the self all that can be known to exist? Excited Penguin 132 16613 December 15, 2016 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: Tonus